Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Nexus 7 Sky Safari Screen Brightness Disappointing new [Re: mark03]
      #5732449 - 03/14/13 03:44 PM

Hi

I always have auto brightness off and have it down a bit.

On screen dim I have the top slider all the way down and the bottom slider at about 40% ands that as good enough in daylight indoors.

I went under some covers in bed (thanks for the excuse BTW) and found I could turn down the bottom slider to pretty much zero.

Started up Ss , zoomed so only 1 major star (Capella), turn eds on night mode and no jump in brightness. It also made the SS display invisible.. So I think I'm going to be pretty happy using screen dim and SS without night mode.. Of course there's the actual field testing I've not yet done but I can already tell that the light output has decreased many time s over and that these apps do appear to dim the backlight, to a point .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Nexus 7 Sky Safari Screen Brightness Disappointing new [Re: lamplight]
      #5733632 - 03/15/13 08:39 AM

Quote:

Hi

I always have auto brightness off and have it down a bit.

On screen dim I have the top slider all the way down and the bottom slider at about 40% ands that as good enough in daylight indoors.

I went under some covers in bed (thanks for the excuse BTW) and found I could turn down the bottom slider to pretty much zero.

Started up Ss , zoomed so only 1 major star (Capella), turn eds on night mode and no jump in brightness. It also made the SS display invisible.. So I think I'm going to be pretty happy using screen dim and SS without night mode.. Of course there's the actual field testing I've not yet done but I can already tell that the light output has decreased many time s over and that these apps do appear to dim the backlight, to a point .

They do dim the screens but to really preserve dark adaptation, a red screen is a necessity, i don't think there is any way around it.

Jon

skyquest25

Reged: 08/22/12

Loc: United States
      #5733655 - 03/15/13 08:56 AM

I have this running on a Toshiba 10" Excite and I have no issues with it. Sky Safari in Night mode is completely red and no white lite or strange colors. All I do on that tablet is turn down the brightness all the way,since it's more than significant in night mode.

I love it !!

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nexus 7 Sky Safari Screen Brightness Disappointing new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5735754 - 03/16/13 09:23 AM

Quote:

They do dim the screens but to really preserve dark adaptation, a red screen is a necessity, i don't think there is any way around it.

Jon

No doubt and its already many magnitudes dimmer already. Makes me wonder how much my dark adaptation has been affected so far not knowing... I plan to get some from scopestuff.com along with some other stuff.

I noticed screen dim doesn't control the android navigation button brightness on my phone though it does on the tablet. That's one thing I don't like about android there are so many devices you never know what's going to happen on any given one with the same software... But at least I can use the stock OS to turn off the backlight entirely for the nav buttons.

mark03
journeyman

Reged: 03/12/13

#5742150 - 03/19/13 01:13 AM

Ok. As a good friend of mine is fond of saying, "photos! or it didn't happen." So I set my camera on a tripod and took a picture of Sky Safari in (1) normal mode, and (2) night mode. Screen brightness is set to minimum, auto-brightness off. No third-party "dimmer" apps, as I haven't found any that change the results of this experiment.

Exposure is identical for both shots: 25s f/5.6 at ISO 200.

Normal mode (zoomed in to black sky):

Night-vision mode:

This is a Google Nexus 10 with Jelly Bean. Stock kernel and ROM with latest update to 4.2.2.

Sorry for harping on this, but with all the [well-meaning] posters here, I just wanted to re-iterate what may have gotten lost, which is that this is definitely a bug in the software. It could well be an issue in Android itself, but as the Nexus 10 is Google's flagship demonstrator for 10-inch Android tablets (read: iPad competitors), I really hope a fix can be found.

If someone with a Nexus 7 would like to run the same experiment (using whatever settings they think work best), it would be interesting to see the results.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5742438 - 03/19/13 08:42 AM

Interesting - I'll try this when I get home on my N7.

Edited by tezster (03/19/13 08:43 AM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nexus 7 Sky Safari Screen Brightness Disappointing new [Re: tezster]
      #5743052 - 03/19/13 02:08 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

with the nexus 7 it does seem a little brighter if screendim is off. with screendim on it definitely does not get brighter.

screendim with everything down and SS not in night mode:

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5743058 - 03/19/13 02:09 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

with night mode turned on (pretty dang good :

both ISO 200, 2 secs exposure.

i will test with my phone (also android)..

Edited by lamplight (03/19/13 02:10 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5743115 - 03/19/13 02:39 PM

i just took a second batch of photos with my phone side by side next to my nexus 7. in one set it does look like the backlight IS brighter when going into night mode in SS ... but not on my android phone only on the nexus 7. i kind of suspect this is a hardware issue.. i have a friend whos a software developer and he's complained vocally how hard it is to write for android as all the devices are so different.. you can see how many apps behave differently on different android devices.

what prompted my earlier post (about not seeing a problem) was a test i did under the covers in daylight i turned on night mode with the tablet screen facing away from me so i could see the output as it reflected off a surface not looking directly into it, and saw no noticeable light output. i cant see it visually either ! but i havent tried this fully light adapted... the other night i used paper charts with a red flashlight for a change and totally forgot to test this.

from my experiments the nexus 7 is more usable with screendim on (all settings turned completely down in that) and with skysafari still in "daylight" mode. not because of the extra glow but because its so dark i cant see the red text if screendim is all the way down (which i prefer) as ill end up using the screen keyboard sometimes.

im kind of at a loss how my pics above dont show an issue but additional pics do. definitely need to visually inspect do this while entirely dark adapted i think.

in any case i ordered some film from scopestuff

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5743171 - 03/19/13 03:04 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

both with brightness turned all the way down, dalyight mode in SS, no screendim turned on.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5743176 - 03/19/13 03:05 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

both with brightness turned all the way down, nightlight mode in SS, no screendim turned on.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5743177 - 03/19/13 03:05 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

both with brightness turned all the way down, daylight mode in SS, screendim turned on.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5743179 - 03/19/13 03:06 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

both with brightness turned all the way down, night mode in SS, screendim turned on.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nexus 7 Sky Safari Screen Brightness Disappointing [Re: lamplight]
      #5743183 - 03/19/13 03:08 PM

maybe its not brighter..looked like it might have been in the camera preview window. ok im done , but thats what i got.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2667

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics