Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
QHY-22 mini review new
      #5696261 - 02/23/13 09:54 AM

QHY-22 mini review

By Ioannis Ioannou

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
1074j

Reged: 10/17/12

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: QHY-22 mini review new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5720491 - 03/08/13 01:02 PM

How fast do the subs download from the camera?
thanks.

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

Reged: 10/31/07

Loc: Athens, Greece
Re: QHY-22 mini review new [Re: 1074j]
      #5720583 - 03/08/13 01:44 PM

In Normal Speed it is about 5 seconds bin 1x1.

In fast mode it is half this time.

I use nebulosity, which in "frame and focus" uses 4x4, and the download time is 1sec or less.

1074j

Reged: 10/17/12

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: QHY-22 mini review new [Re: roryt]
      #5730203 - 03/13/13 12:08 PM

Another couple of questions. What's the cooling like? Have you heard of any release dates?
thanks.
Mike

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: QHY-22 mini review new [Re: 1074j]
      #5730425 - 03/13/13 01:58 PM

As the problem with the 1 1/4 filters been resolved. Can they be used with this camera or do they need the 2'' filters? The Atik 460ex claims it works fine with the 1 1/4 filters (same chip). Astrofactors now sells the camera for 2700$ including the filter wheel (which looks like it's the 2'' type). Even though it saves the cost of buying a new filter wheel still rather use my current filter wheel and filters (filters are not cheap).
Luca

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

Re: QHY-22 mini review new [Re: gramaglia]
      #5734366 - 03/15/13 03:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply.
Cooling is superb, -45C from ambient and rock stable, without any frost or dew issues.

No idea about releases, I'm not connected with the vendor, so I do not have such information. But I think they already released it.

Still I did not had a single free night without clouds, I really hope for this weekend. But my gut feeling is that 1.25" is not enough, at least with my combination (SX USB Filter wheel). The light cone seems too narrow and vignetting is apparent. I ordered 2" filters and I'm really crossing my fingers for clear skies this weekend to test.

gramaglia

#5744356 - 03/20/13 01:58 AM

Thanks for the additional information John .Tried to contact QHY too to get additional information regarding the filters so far no answer. I might just go with the QHY21 with the 674 chip. As far as I can tell it has the exact same specs as the 694 just 2/3" instead of 1" diagonal. Upgrading all my filters to 2" is not an option. But will wait for a final confirmation before making my buying decision.
If you you could tell me how far your filters are from the ccd in your current set up and how much vignetting you get. I should be able to calculate based on your scope (FSQ106N) if my set up will cause vignetting too.
Thanks,
Luca

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

#5744397 - 03/20/13 02:44 AM

Luca I didn't had time during the weekend, but at least I took camera and filter wheel with me to try 1.25" vs 2" indoors, maybe tonight.

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

#5745821 - 03/20/13 06:02 PM Attachment (97 downloads)

OK, here it is. I used indoors (clouds again ) my Mamiya 210mm f/4 645 lens to ensure big enough light cone and full illumination. I tried two carousels, 2" and 1.25", with the SX wheel. See the screenshot of the two master flats (average, crop the overscan area and auto-stretched to demostrate any vignetting).
As you can see my problem is not vignetting per se, both 2" and 1.25" filters produce similar images. My problem is that the CCD is off-center.
As far as I can tell, it should be due to the T2 adapter. Apparently the 4 small screws are not enough to ensure that the T2 will be screwed on the camera on-center. Especially if you have lost one of the small screws in the dark, last night, while you tried to lock the camera on the filter wheel and this small silly thing got loose and failed

So, I think I was wrong and QHY22 should be ok with 1.25".

gramaglia

Re: QHY-22 mini review [Re: roryt]
      #5746325 - 03/20/13 09:22 PM

Thanks john,
I was hoping the QHY22 would work with the 1.25" filters since the atik 460ex that uses the same chip claims it works with systems as low as F2 with 1.25" filters. The only reason I could see that would make the QHY 22 different would be that the chip is a lot farther back in the camera case as in the atik camera therefore the light hitting the chip much farther along the light cone where it is narrower.
Sorry to hear you lost a small but essential piece of hardware.
Thanks again for providing all this information, very much appreciated.
Luca

gramaglia

#5767009 - 03/30/13 02:55 PM

I'm finally decided to bite the bullet and buy the new QHY 22 as part of my overhaul of my imaging setup. I will use it with my new AT72 with .8 reducer flattener on a new Ioptron ZEQ25. It should give me a very nice 125' x 100' field of view with 2.70" arc per pixel. The full setup should arrive in the next couple of weeks. A couple of things do concern me:
1- I will be a semi beta tester on 2 items the QHY camera and Ioptron mount.
2- I calculated that on average I get 1 day of bad weather for every 25$ I spend on new astronomy gear which means this setup won't see first light till November!!!
I will try and provide any additional information on the mount and camera not yet provide by Paul Chasse and Ioannis Ioannou respectively, weather permitting.

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

#5767064 - 03/30/13 03:32 PM

IMHO a good decision.

Cross our fingers for good weather, during free time, without moon (still trying to find one like this to complete the review - from time to time I wonder why we bother with this hobby !! )

gramaglia

#5791811 - 04/11/13 06:43 AM

Finally got a chance to at least attach the camera to a telescope and see some of it's features. All my tests so far were done indoors were the chances of screw ups are somewhat reduced. The tests were performed on a AT72 at f4.8.
Please consider that this report is from someone moving up from a meade dsi II pro so my experience with CCDs is very limited.
Cooling:
After trying to run the camera without attaching the cooling cables I realized it didn't work at all ( just the top part of the image lit up). after attaching the cables and setting the cooling for -10c on auto control (the temperature I plan on using year round for simplicity), the camera overshot the set amount by 2-3 degrees then stayed on target with virtually no movement in temperature.
1.25" filters:
As regards to vignetting with 1.25'' filters I didn't see any. The only problem I see with using 1.25" filters that I haven't been able to solve yet is how to place a IR/UV filter for imaging with RGB filters that are not IR blocked (like mine) . The logical location the circular hole in front of the ccd window is unfortunately a fraction too big and unthreaded. Really no reason for that to be the case.
Documentation:
Finally there is no manual to speak of regarding the camera of the capture software EZCAP. A relatively large inconvenience for a non expert as myself
So far extremely please with the camera even with the couple of reservation mentioned.
will post these same comments on QHY website

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

#5877393 - 05/22/13 03:35 AM

An update.

Although weather and personal obligations did not allowed me to enjoy the camera as much as I wanted, here are some of my recent photos with it (more to follow later, cross my fingers ). I have some issues with CCD not be centered in the imaging path and halos with the filters, which I hope to solve soon. Mind, worth to see them in full resolution.

1) M13 , RGB: 12x2mins each, FSQ106N, PixInsight , full resolution click here , details click here

2) M106, HaRGB: 12x5mins each, FSQ106N, PixInsight, full resolution click here , details click here

Happy Birthday roryt
sage

#6017773 - 08/10/13 03:10 PM

OK, I think this will be my last - a bit late- update.
QHY sent me a replacement faceplate months before, but I managed to test it only start of August Anyway I think all vignetting and halos are now fixed. Apparently all were due to the CCD not been eccentric to the light path. The first image got this way is the following:

NGC6992 Easterm Veil in Bi-color H2O3O3

I hope that I'll have enough time during my vacations to shot more photos, which I'll post at the CCD forum.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3364

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics