Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new
      #5744971 - 03/20/13 11:53 AM

I need some help deciding on a grab and go mount for my EdgeHD 8".

The contenders as of right now are:

* DiscMount DM6 with Sky Commander
* Celestron Nexstar 6SE/8SE
* Desert Sky DSV-3
* Stellarvue M150 Isostatic

I do like goto and I like tracking so that puts the Nexstar 8SE mount high on the list (and the price is right too). However, my scope has the wider CGEM dovetail bar on it, so I'd have to downsize the bar or upsize the receiver on the 8SE (I prefer the larger dovetail). Another negative is that I like my scope mounted higher, rather than lower, and the tripod on these units are fairly short. I suppose I could mount it on something else. The last negative is that the 8SE mount does not lend itself to casual starhopping.

The DM6 is very nice, but expensive (#1 or 2 on the list). The Sky Commander plus ease of pointing make this mount very attractive, plus I like the high mounting of the scope so I don't have to twist my neck so much to look through the Telrad. It's a much better star hopping mount than the 8SE, but it doesn't have tracking. With the EdgeHD, perhaps that's not as important? How is the DM6 for manual tracking?

The M150 is also a contender and similar to the DM6 but not quite as expensive. I don't see encoders available for this one. The DSV-3 is at the bottom of the list unless I can get encoders on it (don't see that on the website).

Any thoughts on the choices? Anything else that should be on the list?

Thanks!

Patrick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5745080 - 03/20/13 12:47 PM

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT SynScan ?

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5745246 - 03/20/13 02:17 PM

Quote:

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT SynScan ?

...not grab and go...

pjensen

Reged: 04/08/12

Loc: Highland Village, Tx
      #5745389 - 03/20/13 03:25 PM

Quote:

I need some help deciding on a grab and go mount for my EdgeHD 8".

That is exactly what I am looking for also. Some nights I just want to take the Edge 8" out for a quick look - and not deal with a polar alignment, and a goto setup.

Here is one tripod/mount that looks it might work:

Tele Vue mount

A skytour could be added later if needed.

The mount weight capacity is 15 pounds. The Edge 8" OTA is 14 pounds and the eyepiece would add another pound or two - so it might be overloaded slightly.

Comments?

Paul

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: pjensen]
      #5745412 - 03/20/13 03:33 PM

Put the 8" on the new skywatcher az eq6 in altaz mode...put a little refractor on the other saddle for wide field views...put the tripod in a JMI wheeley and push her out to use.

Takes 1 minute to 2 star align
Magnificient

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: HowardK]
      #5745445 - 03/20/13 03:44 PM

Quote:

Put the 8" on the new skywatcher az eq6 in altaz mode..

I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's NOT grab and go, IMHO...

I just got a quote from Disc Mount...$2400, cough, hack, choke... That's making the other options look pretty good.

Patrick

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5745458 - 03/20/13 03:47 PM

Quote:

The DSV-3 is at the bottom of the list unless I can get encoders on it (don't see that on the website).

call him, he'll make it a push-to. its pretty easy to track at high mags by hand.

just get some beefy wood legs, berlebach planet.

skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5745635 - 03/20/13 04:58 PM

DiscMounts are fantastic. I believe a DM-4 would be quite adequate for an 8" SCT, though nothing larger. I use mine with a 12lb refractor and have used a 20lb refractor with it in the past. Expensive, though no regrets.

Keith

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: skullpin]
      #5745911 - 03/20/13 06:39 PM

I would not try to use a C8 on a push-to mount that does not have slow motion controls. Don't care how smooth it is, at high power it is still a pain. Most people using the DM6 are using a refractor with a much wider view than a C8. You have leverage with the refractor to make the movement smooth. With a short C8 you have no leverage at all.

The AT Voyager will handle a C8 easily as long as you don't extend the tripod legs. Another option is to replace the tripod. The push-to operation on the AT Voyager is not even close to being smooth, so you are going to want to push to a spot and then use the slow motion knobs to find and track the object. That works very well with the C8. You can also buy a JMI Train-n-Track for the Voyager for even easier slow motion movement.

The Voyager is very light weight, but because of the shape it is kind of big for what it is. It takes up more room in my car than the TRex mount. If you don't mind spending your kid's college money the TRex is actually the ultimate grab-n-go. It does ever thing the DM6 does but includes smooth slow motion. Comes with a padded bag that holds the fully assembled mount/tripod. You just pull it out of the bag, plug in the Sky Commander, attach your scope, and your ready to go.

gaz-in
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/17/07

Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? new [Re: Lane]
      #5746329 - 03/20/13 09:23 PM

Unistar Deluxe with encoders and Argo Navis...I have one on a Meade 8 ACF and it is wonderful. You just forget the mount Is there and it feels like the scope is floating in air...IMHO a great mount!

Edited by gaz-in (03/20/13 09:25 PM)

Patrick
Postmaster

#5746487 - 03/20/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

I would not try to use a C8 on a push-to mount that does not have slow motion controls. Don't care how smooth it is, at high power it is still a pain. Most people using the DM6 are using a refractor with a much wider view than a C8. You have leverage with the refractor to make the movement smooth. With a short C8 you have no leverage at all.

Hi Lane,

I appreciate your perspective. In my way of thinking, that's one more plus in the Celestron's 6/8SE mount's favor. It has tracking, goto, precise slow motion control and etc. And it's an inexpensive solution. I'd just need to carry my little 12v battery...no problem.

Quote:

The AT Voyager will handle a C8 easily as long as you don't extend the tripod legs.

I had my C6 SCT mounted on an AT Voyager, and I didn't really care for it. I think your explanation above was a big part of it, even with the C6. So, a C8 would be even worse.

I did like the tripod legs of the Voyager, though. They are very similar to the Vixen HAL 130 legs...very sturdy, but lightweight. If I got the 6/8SE mount, I was thinking about getting a HAL 130 leg set to put it on. That would a nice compact setup.

Patrick

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? [Re: gaz-in]
      #5746491 - 03/20/13 10:34 PM

Quote:

Unistar Deluxe with encoders and Argo Navis...I have one on a Meade 8 ACF and it is wonderful. You just forget the mount Is there and it feels like the scope is floating in air...IMHO a great mount!

I'll have to give them another look. How important is good balance on the Unistar?

Patrick

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
      #5746899 - 03/21/13 05:04 AM

Quote:

I use my DM6 with a Mewlon 210 (or is it the other way around ) - no regrets whatsoever. The leverage problem is easily solved by a handle bar if you want to.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? [Re: Mark9473]
      #5746920 - 03/21/13 05:59 AM

Patrick:

I do think that with a C-8, slow-motion controls are a necessity if your choose to go with a manual mount. Short scopes like a C-8 do not provide much of a mechanical lever for tracking so high power viewing is more difficult.

The one mount I have used that seems like it might work for you is the StellarVUe MG-2. It has geared slow motion controls and considerably more stable and robust than the Voyager/Portamount class mounts and yet it's only about 2 or 3 pounds heavier than the Portamounts. I tried it with an 8inch F/5 Newtonian and it handled the weight reasonably well but ergonomically, I had to reach around the tube to get to the slow-motion controls and that was awkward, it wouldn't be a problem with your 8 inch Edge.

Unfortunately, they are no longer made... you would have to find one used.

Jon

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? [Re: pjensen]
      #5747309 - 03/21/13 10:48 AM

Quote:

That is exactly what I am looking for also. Some nights I just want to take the Edge 8" out for a quick look - and not deal with a polar alignment, and a goto setup.

Here is one tripod/mount that looks it might work:

Tele Vue mount

A skytour could be added later if needed.

The mount weight capacity is 15 pounds. The Edge 8" OTA is 14 pounds and the eyepiece would add another pound or two - so it might be overloaded slightly.

Comments?

Paul

A C8 size OTA will not fit between the arms of any of the Televue mounts. Those mounts are meant for refractors.

pjensen

Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? [Re: EFT]
      #5747613 - 03/21/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

A C8 size OTA will not fit between the arms of any of the Televue mounts. Those mounts are meant for refractors.

Thanks for the response. After I posted I looked at that and wondered if the OTA would fit in there. Apparently not.

pjensen

#5747845 - 03/21/13 03:25 PM

Ok try again - here is another mount/tripod:

Vixen Star Guy Alt Az Pro Mount

It weighs 18 pounds and can carry 20 pounds. It has two long flex slow motion controls. No encoder though.

Or it comes on a wood tripod for $100 more:

Vixen StarGuy Porta II Alt-Az Mount w/Wood Tripod

Has anyone used either of these with a C8?

Paul

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5747898 - 03/21/13 03:55 PM

Hi Patrick:

The DSV-3 is indeed available with encoders. You should check out this current thread regarding the DSV-3, which also has info on the DSV-1.

http://tinyurl.com/c4atkl7

One of the contributors to the thread shows a picture of his C8 on a DSV-1. If you really want minimal for grab and go, that would do it. However, no object locator.

The DSV-3 page on the Desert Sky site, shows encoders for Sky Commander as an option. You have to purchase the Sky Commander DSC separately, but the mount comes with the bracket for that.

The price is $1235 if you add up the mount, surveyor's tripod, encoders, and Losmandy dovetail seat. Add another $300 (I think?) for the Sky Commander and it's $1535. Not cheap, but better than the $2400 you were looking at for the Disc Mount.

-Dan

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
      #5747899 - 03/21/13 03:55 PM

Some day the Nova Hitch Mount might be my Alt/Az mount to replace my LX/80 and Voyager mounts... but not for some time, yet. Basic mount is $1700+ but trick it out to the nines and your into $3k. I've had occasion to use a Half-Hitch in it's basic mode and I was sold. Smooth as melting butter to use, holds balance beautifully. Once I had my hands on it I knew I had to put it on my short list to have one. It's an enigmatic feat of engineering.

ps: If you access the above link, scroll down a bit to see the Nova Hitch description.

skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Which Alt/Az Mount for EdgeHD 8" ? [Re: Fred1]
      #5748137 - 03/21/13 05:41 PM

I have used a Desert Sky DSV-2 with slo-mo controls and I currently have a DiscMount DM4. Either mount can easily track at 200+ powers. I often had 250x on Jupiter last month with my DM4 and it was easy to precisely nudge along.

I did sell my DSV-2 to raise funds for the DiscMount, and I am quite happy with it. Very simple to use. Super stable (I can actually keep my hand on the fine focus knob of my scope without shake). I can change eyepieces without losing my target. For star hoping and simply enjoying the sky, it is unbeatable. In my experience slo-mo controls are over rated. Even with a short tubed long fl cat, I would take the DiscMount over a DSV, AstroTech, Teegul, et al.

To me, the real issue regarding tracking, is the complete lack of. Sure, I can quite easily chase jupiter at 250x with my DM4 mounted refractor. Did it provide a comfortable experience? No. Did my old slo-mo enabled DSV-2 provide a more comfortable experience? No, it was equally uncomfortable. What I mean: it is not so much fun watching a planet or star zip across the eyepiece. No amount of smoothness or manual control will replace the user experience of a tracked mount.

That said, I am getting an equatorial mount for tracking and attempting astrophotography. Time will tell whether my DiscMount falls into disuse.

Keith

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2525

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics