Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
John P
sage

Reged: 01/27/04

Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA
7 foot Clamshell
      #5750188 - 03/22/13 05:06 PM

I am waiting for delivery of my new 7 foot clamshell. I ordered it from Aphelion Domes of Langley, British Columbia, Canada. I understand this company and US- based Astro Haven share a common ancestry and Dave Hoffman of Aphelion Domes has been excellent to work with.
At 72 years old and active in amateur astronomy since age 12, I have had occasion to try everything from simply, “carry it outside”, to wheely bars and roll off roof fixed observatories. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Along the way, I had occasion to pick up a used clamshell observatory and despite it’s less than great condition and lacking a door and opening hardware, enjoyed its appearance and functionality. Because of medical issues, I sold it to a guy who wanted to set up a remote operation, astrophotography observatory.
Now healed, I want to re-enter amateur astronomy and have it be my retirement interest. ( I suggest you not wait till retirement) Considerations for my ideal observatory included;
1. Clamshell Design
I find this design-type to have the best attributes of both a roll off roof design and a standard rotating dome with a slit.
2. Must have a door
Because of health issues, my previous clamshell was pretty much unusable as it lacked a door and required me to climb over the sidewalls. A small ladder was not a very successful solution.
3. Must be adaptable to remote operations
You never know since remote operation is so feasible today and my location places the clamshell only 20 feet from the house
4. Must be able to resell
Few people consider this. Clamshell domes are expensive…no doubt about it. Eventually I or my estate will need to get rid of it. Assuming I maintain it well, there is no reason why I shouldn’t recover much of the initial expense
5. I must consider it attractive
I’m an architect and do find the clamshell domes attractive
6. Capable of holding a significant telescope on a significant GEM plus a small table and 2 people
Over the years I’ve owned a tremendous variety of astronomy equipment. Sold a lot of it too. My area and sky quality realistically supports perhaps an 11” SCT on an AP900. Obviously you can go bigger but I start to question how frequently it would be to your advantage. In addition, I plan on doing both night and solar astronomy.
Having a strong preference for a clamshell-type design really narrowed my options and after a month or so of talking things over with Dave (the other company was not as conversant) I placed my order. At that time, Aphelion was substantially less expensive although Aphelion’s base product was not electrically operated and the other manufacture’s dome was. Aphelion offered an entrance door in their 7 foot dome and I do not recall if the other manufacturer did or not.
The clamshell dome is currently being crated and Dave is shopping for a good shipper. I have a circular brick pad that matches the brick pool patio ready to receive the dome. I plan to install a fixed pier over the summer. Hopefully all will be up and running by May or June.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: John P]
      #5750537 - 03/22/13 08:24 PM

Congratulations on your new dome! Thanks also for the well thought out discussion, it's possible to get so caught up in an idea that we fail to think in practical terms. Please keep us posted on your progress, and as always, pictures please!

John P
sage

Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5751252 - 03/23/13 07:07 AM

Thanks. Someone said,"too old, smart."
Love the Healeys. The pure definition of a sports car.
I'm going with a 9.25" Celestron OTA on a g-11 with one piece worm block. Also have a Nexstar 6 (truly excellent optics) and a 6" mak-cass. They're so close I'll sell one and trying to figure out which.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5752567 - 03/23/13 07:49 PM

Awesome. I think a clamshell would be pretty nice to own.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: Raginar]
      #5754000 - 03/24/13 01:31 PM

I'd like to have a clamshell- the price is a bit of a barrier, even if the aphelion version is cheaper and thoughtfully comes with a door.

Astro haven will allow a door under the base ring- not so easy to do. And, of course, I need a dark spot, and time.

At the end of the day, my little kids win the time trade.

-Rich

John P
sage

Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5755772 - 03/25/13 10:04 AM

I agree...kids first. At 72 years old, that is far behind me...now it's grandkids. So I more than understand but urge you not to wait till retirement as I did. Your eyes do nothing to improve as you get older. And I justify the cost of a clamshell, a lot of money to be sure, on the the fact it has resale value and can be relocated easily. My purchase is about 2x the cost for my stick-built roll off roof observatory. There was zero return when I moved...but it made a good playhouse or tool shed for whoever bought the house.

People who have been in this hobby for a long time, recognize you should start with a really good mount yet few of us did (or do). Start with the observatory you like. You'll save money in the long run.

JJK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/28/08

#5756866 - 03/25/13 07:31 PM

Clamshells are neat, but I'll stick with a RoR design observatory. It will double as a mausoleum after the CFO terminates me for one Astro purchase too many.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: JJK]
      #5757393 - 03/26/13 01:54 AM

Thanks for writing back, John. Let me know how the aphelion dome goes- those are the ones I am most curious about thanks to the nice door arrangement.

-Rich

John P
sage

#5800072 - 04/15/13 09:18 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

Her it is ready to be crated and shipped. Looks like it's coming via FedEx.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5800103 - 04/15/13 09:38 AM

John, Congratulations on your Clamshell! We look forward to pictures when it's setup; then simply enjoy!

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5800141 - 04/15/13 10:09 AM

Congrads John...

When I discovered I had to build another observatory (had roll off 30 years ago at another house) just before I retired I decided that I would use my first few social security checks to fund the darn thing...

But resale value was honestly not a factor I intent to use it until I'm too old to even care about anything Those astro haven clam shells were on my list UNTIL I saw the price tags... LOL

CLEAR SKIES

Bob G

John P
sage

Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5800353 - 04/15/13 11:48 AM Attachment (60 downloads)

Mine is an Aphelion Dome but I notice they just had a big price increase. None-the-less, read my opening comments on how I justified the cost. I believe it to be realistic. Right now, the cost of the Aphelion Clamshell is roughly twice the cost of my original 8' x 12' roll off roof observatory. Yes...a lot of money still.

The attached photo ( sorry it's in black and white...wrong camera setting) shows where I plan to initially place the clamshell. Trees are a problem but I have a nice wedge to the south east that's perhaps 10 hours wide. North is out. Part of the wedge is over the house...a problem with heat blooms in the winter. I'll try this location for awhile before installing a pier as if it's not working out, or if my health continues to head south...I can find another location. Cicilia, the Chahuahua, is not part of the observing team as she prefers sleep.

John P
sage

#5804489 - 04/17/13 12:38 PM

Slight hang-up. The dome is at a FedEx facility some 20 or so miles from my house. They refuse to deliver it stating they have no way to get it off the truck. This despite taking my money and knowing the delivery residential address. For me....so much for FedEx.

Tomorrow I have a local mover I've worked with, pick up the dome and bring it here, wait while I uncrate it, and move it to the circular brick patio for it's home, at least for now.

Dave Hoffman of Aphelion Domes, emailed asking if it got here ok. He and his company have been excellent to work with.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#5804505 - 04/17/13 12:50 PM

That is certainly weak on the behalf of FedEx. I'm surprised they didn't have one of those trucks with the small forklift ready for deliveries.

-Rich

John P
sage

#5806756 - 04/18/13 01:33 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Despite FedEx, a local firm with imagination managed to deliver the clamshell with little trouble. Three guys, using a little care, got it off the truck, "crate" and all.

John P
sage

#5806767 - 04/18/13 01:39 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

And here she is resting on the brick circular pad. I'll use the dome and telescope by tripod till I'm sure the location works, then install a permanant pier.

The clamshell so far, is all I could have hoped for. The door makes for easy access despite my worn out body. Best of all, there are two cranks, one for each half. I can open it completely, close it completely or manage any combination of the halves in between. Perfect for weather and light conditions.

I understand all the comments I'm getting about costs but to me, based on my first post assumptions, I got a bargain. I can only see my life's' enjoyment of this hobby getting better. Happy to respond to comments and/or questions.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5806777 - 04/18/13 01:49 PM

Congratulations! It certainly looks beautiful in that area!

Cost is your expenditure; no one else's; and as you said, it's well worth it to you; and that's what counts! You will get so much enjoyment out of your new dome, and we can't wait to hear all about it!

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5806814 - 04/18/13 02:15 PM

First time ever knew about these things. I'll say one thing....it's different. Like to see you and your scope inside with the "shutter" open. I need some reference objects to see how this design looks and works. Mike

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: 7 foot Clamshell new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5806858 - 04/18/13 02:49 PM

It looks good. I'm happy to see the shipping hostage drama ended successfully. What is the interior like?

-Rich

John P
sage

#5806953 - 04/18/13 03:37 PM

I'll add some " in use" photos soon. Hoping to install the telescope, etc. Over the weekend assuming the weather cooperates just a little. The interior is no gell coat fiberglass painted black. Not a fine finish but uniform and looks good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3063

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics