Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Who uses an apo for birding and astro?
      #5753407 - 03/24/13 08:52 AM

Am thinking of getting a small apo (80-100) for both terrestrial use and also astro use ... just viewing.
Do other folks do this and what scope do they like ???

Thx,
Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: NHRob]
      #5753504 - 03/24/13 09:54 AM

I have used an 80ED for birding before, with a WO 45* erecting prism. It worked really great. IMO, anything larger than an 80ED would be sort of impractical.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5753549 - 03/24/13 10:15 AM

I use an AP Stowaway 92mm f4.9. It was designed with both astro and birding in mind.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5753574 - 03/24/13 10:23 AM

An 80mm apo is perfect for both astronomy and birding. Especially if the birds are far away...you can get up close.

Make sure you get a good 45 degree erecting prism. William Optics tends to sell the best ones as far as I can tell.

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5753876 - 03/24/13 12:45 PM

Just watched a pair of cedar waxwings in our backyard. Now watching a pair of northern cardinals using a nice 80mm ED ... which is providing a great view. Hope to someday use an Apo, but so far find the ED fine for grab & go astronomy and for birding.

TomCharlock

Reged: 05/11/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5754106 - 03/24/13 02:09 PM

I sometimes use an Orion ST80 (achromat) with a 45 degree correct image diagonal and a Televue 32mm Plossl for both birding (Hampton Roads Bird Club) and astronomy (Virginia Peninsula Astronomy/Stargazers). It's light enough for birding; and PANSTARRS looked okay with the ST80 (but it was much better with my heavier Orion EON 80mm APO doublet and an astronomy diagonal).

If your birding will be from a FIXED LOCATION, a short focal length 80mm apochromatic refractor, built for astronomy, may be just what you need for both applications.

But if you intend to walk a few km on your birding adventures, a scope constructed specifically to be ported about would much be better. Such scopes are light, well armored, and slap right onto a variety of light tripods. Ten years ago, astronomy scopes like the Televue 76 and 85 were among the tops for birding. But birders have proven to be a big market, and the optics houses have stepped up to their demands. I've been very impressed with the scopes that my fellow birders now use. While I still like the light ST80 at 12.5X (33mm Plossl)for birds, their zoom apo birding scopes have superior color at higher power (as good as with my heavy EON APO 80mm and a Televue Radian eyepiece, which is too heavy to march around with).

The Vortex Razor HD 85mm ($2000) would be my choice for a birding scope. I have not had the opportunity to use such for astronomy but expect it would be fine at the low and medium powers to which it is limited. In the next few years, one hopes that companies like Vortex would become aware of the astronomy market; and provide us those nice, light short focal length scopes with fittings for astronomy-oriented diagonals, eyepieces, and filters.

Tom Charlock

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: TomCharlock]
      #5754173 - 03/24/13 02:30 PM

We have a family of red tailed hawks that just arrived in our backyard for the second year in a row. We've been watching them with the AT72 ED through an open windows on the three seasons porch.

turtledude1

Reged: 10/08/08

Loc: SW Fla.& SW. NM
      #5754275 - 03/24/13 03:17 PM

I picked up a TMB 80 from a professional photographer about three weeks ago. He tried to beat buying the $10,000.00 Canon 500mm lens but it didn't work out. He had it for a couple years tried it twice but didn't get the results he wanted. Well DUH even I know that there's a huge difference in purpose. Anyway his loss was my gain and its 2.5" Feather Touch mounts right up to my Hassleblad. For simple viewing from a stationary point the TMB would be great, but I wouldn't want to lug it around.

I've done the nature viewing thing all my life I'm sort of a swamp rat having been all over the Everglades. I use two high end Nikon bino's I've had for 30+ years with a simple mono pod. Everything is very light and I can go anywhere anytime. I have two pairs of Pileated Woodpeckers setting up nest near by, they've been near my home for about two years now.

Russ

MarcF650R
sage

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: turtledude1]
      #5754349 - 03/24/13 04:01 PM

I use a TV76 for birding and birding photography

silicon
journeyman

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: MarcF650R]
      #5755485 - 03/25/13 04:00 AM

I use a Borg 71fl for astro visual/photo and recently started taking some photos of birds with it. In Japan it seems to be popular for both subjects.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: silicon]
      #5755493 - 03/25/13 04:23 AM

TMB 92L - I got it more for Terrestrial use than Astronomical use.

MAURITS
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/09

Loc: Belgium
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: Lane]
      #5755503 - 03/25/13 04:46 AM

Maybe off topic, but why are there so little " 45° erecting prisma's" used for astronomy viewing?

I believe the view's are not upside down, is this the better way to go, or I am wrong?

dennilfloss
sage

Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: MAURITS]
      #5755521 - 03/25/13 05:21 AM

I'd guess because those become awkward to use as you approach the zenith? Above 45 degrees of telescope inclination, your star diagonal would start pointing towards the ground, meaning you'd need to be below it.

APtelephoto

Reged: 04/17/10

#5755549 - 03/25/13 06:22 AM

The two primary scopes I've used for birding are the TV NP-101 and the AP130EDFGT. I wrote an article about techniques I've used. It can be found in Astronomy Technology Today Sept/Oct 2012 Vol 6 Issue 5.

Pete

http://www.buytelescopes.com/Gallery/Gallery.aspx?c=47420

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=35&Tab=_img

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: APtelephoto]
      #5755624 - 03/25/13 07:54 AM

Ok it's an achro but my 70mm is a stunning daylight spotter. BETTER VIEW DESIRED rated it above the most expensive Nikon spotter of the time in its ability to resolve details on a dollar bill at some range standard he used. An apo would be even better of course. My res claim to fame : observing a person on the deck of a lighthouse tower at a measured 20miles. THAT was wild. Closer to the observing deck, glossy ibis, herons, egrets particularly at 18x-24x look etched in 3D. Seeing cormorants sunning themselves on the rocks off an island a measured 7 miles out is another feat. The instrument is such an optimized resution power house it makes for dazzling daylight applications. A fringe killer at 45x and up is appreciated on my achro under these conditions.

Pete

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: APtelephoto]
      #5755636 - 03/25/13 08:00 AM

Nice Pictures Pete.

I like those Turkey Vultures! Great Shots

Ken

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5755657 - 03/25/13 08:27 AM

Do yourself a favor Rob, stick with 90mm as your minimum, not for the birding aspect,but for the astro! I played extensively with 80 achros and apos and 90 apos. The 80's never impressed and left me wanting...the 90's hit the sweet spot.

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5755718 - 03/25/13 09:32 AM

Yeah,
I'm thinking SV-90T, or TMB92, but it's getting bulky for birding maybe.
Either that or get a 72ED for terrestrial and a second scope (101-105) for astro.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Who uses an apo for birding and astro? new [Re: MAURITS]
      #5756642 - 03/25/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Maybe off topic, but why are there so little " 45° erecting prisma's" used for astronomy viewing?

I believe the view's are not upside down, is this the better way to go, or I am wrong?

The reason you don't want to use a 45 degree diagonal is because most if not all of them will noticeably degrade the image. For terrestrial use I think you are ok to use them, but for astronomy you will want to stick with the 90 degree type. Views are not upside down in the 90 degree either, they are just mirror reversed.

SteveSMS

Reged: 03/29/08

Loc: Jersey Shore USA
      #5756664 - 03/25/13 05:38 PM

Hi Rob,

I use both an Orion 80ED and a Vixen 102ED f6.5 for birding and prime focus photography. I took the red-tail photo from about 80' away through the 80ED. flickr hawk

Clear Skies,

Steve

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
36 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1883

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics