Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Raginar]
      #5753135 - 03/24/13 01:45 AM

Mine was just the HC. I got it replaced and it has been working fine for two days.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
powerstroke01
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: Western Sierra Nevada Foothill...
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Raginar]
      #5753242 - 03/24/13 04:04 AM

Quote:

So what's the commonality between the failures now? Is it hand controllers or motor boards?

well I should be receiving a new handcontroller on Monday. I'm hoping that's all it is.

GTBaker

Reged: 02/01/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: powerstroke01]
      #5753595 - 03/24/13 10:31 AM

This is not sounding well a all. I haven't even had my new scope/mount outside yet.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: GTBaker]
      #5753815 - 03/24/13 12:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have a good power source, and the connection of power cord to mount is firm, you will be alright. If you're worried, set up and do a fake alignment inside. HC and MC problems? I'm guessing most of 'em are power problems.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5753901 - 03/24/13 12:52 PM

What is concerning to me is if there is a hand controller issue where they fail for silly reasons then we need to buy extra hand controllers and keep them with us at all times.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5754165 - 03/24/13 02:29 PM

The hand controls are pretty robust...but these are a new model. I don't use the blamed things often anyway. I much prefer NexRemote.

beammeup

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Straight of Gibraltar
      #5754229 - 03/24/13 02:56 PM

Quote:

The hand controls are pretty robust...but these are a new model. I don't use the blamed things often anyway. I much prefer NexRemote.

Hi Uncle Rod - is it possible to connect NexRemote directly to the VX? (without the HC). The VX mount doesn't seem to have a dedicated pc port.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: beammeup]
      #5754278 - 03/24/13 03:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Uncle Rod - is it possible to connect NexRemote directly to the VX? (without the HC). The VX mount doesn't seem to have a dedicated pc port.

You have to have Celestron's Aux Port Expander, alas.

beammeup

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Straight of Gibraltar
      #5754286 - 03/24/13 03:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You have to have Celestron's Aux Port Expander, alas.

Yes I know, not only is it discontinued but also impossible to find one anywhere! (and it's not cheap either)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5754311 - 03/24/13 03:37 PM

I bought one for my CGEM just so I would be free of the HC if need be. I can't imangine why they discontinued it.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5754318 - 03/24/13 03:40 PM

There's a design for the aux port expander in one of the yahoo groups, the GCG5 one I think.

It may also be possible to use one of the USB to serial TTL converters and use that with little more than an appropriate connector.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: beammeup]
      #5754344 - 03/24/13 03:54 PM

Quote:

Yes I know, not only is it discontinued but also impossible to find one anywhere! (and it's not cheap either)

If you've got a little skill at electronics (or know somebody who has), one can be made easily. Check with the Celestron ASGT group; I believe you'll find plans and schematics there...

GTBaker

Reged: 02/01/13

#5764866 - 03/29/13 02:26 PM

I've had this mount and scope now for a while and have yet taken it outside. This weather is sucking.

Learken

Reged: 03/17/05

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: zawijava]
      #5766427 - 03/30/13 10:17 AM

Nice looking setup, especially the Traveler ! Question, what did you need to do to adapt the AVX to the tripod, and can this be done with any other alternate tripod?

LA

starbob1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/11/07

Loc: IN
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Learken]
      #5786284 - 04/08/13 04:00 PM

Has anyone mounted the new VX on a pier. My observatory has a pier and would like to try this mount on it. I had adapters for my cgem and CGE but sold them. Any ideas. Thanks Tackybob

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Learken]
      #5786363 - 04/08/13 04:36 PM

Sorry it took so long for my response, I had not visited this Thread for awhile. All you need for either a tripod or pier is a top plate with the proper hole size and depth for the AVX to sit down into. Then a piece of threaded rod, thick washer and threaded knob to secure from underneath much like it's done with the supplied tripod. You will also have to position an Azimuth Adjustment Post on your top plate in the proper location. The top plate hole must be a bit deeper than the portion of the AVX that sits in it, in order for the thick washer and locking knob to do their job. Hope this helps, I relize it's not a detailed instruction guide by any means though I'm certain if one takes a close look at how the AVX attaches to the supplied tripod it will likely be self explanatory. -Tim

Quote:

Nice looking setup, especially the Traveler ! Question, what did you need to do to adapt the AVX to the tripod, and can this be done with any other alternate tripod?

LA

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: zawijava]
      #5786449 - 04/08/13 05:17 PM

One thing to watch is that the altitude adjuster bolt on the South side projects below the height of the surface on which the base of the mount sits. It's about 40mm lower.

If this is a problem it would be possible to replace the adjuster with a shorter bolt and use a spanner to adjust it, you won't have to do it every day.

Chris

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5786714 - 04/08/13 07:46 PM

Sigh. I posted over in imaging about this but I wanted to throw it out to a larger group as well. I have the opportunity to trade in my ES 127 and my 102 for a Takahashi TSA-120. I would use it for 60% visual and 40% AP with the longest exposure time I would realistically be able to do with guiding at 5 min and most of the exposures being 120 seconds or less.

I had a CGEM before and with it's weight, my age, and the injuries I have from being young and stupid working with it and dragging it to a dark site for imaging is just not going to happen. So I would not be wanting to go to a CGEM or CGEM class mount.

I know the challenges I faced with the ES 127 at 18.5 lbs and 34" long but with the Tak being 12.5 lbs and 28" long does anyone think it would be doable on the AVX at the median and (hopefully) at the longest exposure times?

If not I will most likely end up just using it for visual and keep my 102 since it does fine on the AVX and is 23 inches with no dew shield...

Oh and guidecam is the SBIG ST-i with their guider lens kit and present camera is Canon XSi with plans for an Atik 428 w/filter wheel.

Thanks for the help!

Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5786773 - 04/08/13 08:21 PM

Dr,
I am not an expert, but I will say that I use a 102mm stellarvue, with an AT 72mm, with a Telrad, and all that with large diagonals, DSLR, autoguider, and 22 lbs of counterweight on my AVX, and I get rock solid tracking at much longer exposures than you are asking about. My telescope is 43" with hood extended.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Carl N]
      #5787139 - 04/08/13 11:18 PM

Bloody hell Carl! That is scary yard cannon large! Well that is good to know! Thank you! I am pretty dialed in on getting the Tak but when tossing round that amount of dosh I want to make darn sure I am not about to really put my foot in it...

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 78092

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics