Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
zambonikane

Reged: 01/14/11

Loc: West Chester PA
Orion Atlas is Dead new
      #5753516 - 03/24/13 10:01 AM

Hey everyone,
Last night I went to a new spot that had nice western-northern exposure in an effort to find PANSTARRS. Once everything was balanced, and set up, I went to power the mount on (via the 12v adapter and a deep cycle marine battery) and got nothing. The red light on the adapter was light, but the led on the mount itself was not on. I still managed to get the comet in my sights and snapped off a couple of shots, but was extremely disappointed. When I returned home, I hooked the mount up to my AC adapter and got the same result. I then opened up the mount to take a quick look at the pc board and see if there were any loose connections and I couldn't find anything obviously wrong. Is there a fuse that could be blown? Has anyone ever encountered this and was able to fix this? Does anyone know what a new circuit board goes for? I am the original owner, so I should be able to get the parts without a problem.
Thanks
Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Orion Atlas is Dead new [Re: zambonikane]
      #5753818 - 03/24/13 12:12 PM

The only fuse is in the cigarette lighter plug. Check your power cord with a multimeter to star. Most common problem? A small inductor on the MC board dies...but that should be fairly obvious with it appearing burned and having that funky burned component smell.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Orion Atlas is Dead [Re: zambonikane]
      #5754944 - 03/24/13 08:53 PM

Check you power switch on the Atlas to make sure it is firmly "on". If the rocker switch were accidentally switched partially in the off direction, that might be to blame. Easy to check in any case.

Regards,

Jim

Bugsi

Reged: 09/20/07

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
Re: Orion Atlas is Dead new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5756426 - 03/25/13 03:29 PM

Ditto on Rod's post, I've had my controller pack die out of warranty. It went up in a puff of smoke. I didn't take it apart to component troubleshoot it. I live near an Orion store so I just took it in for service. I think they replaced the entire control pack, rather than replace the board, and it was $100. If it was just an inductor, and had I known that, I might have pursued repairing it myself. [Note: My mount was the SkyView Pro mount, not the Atlas, but I believe they use the same GoTo controller.]

Also: Once you have it working again, make sure your hand controller's firmware is up-to-date. Mine had an older version that had a known bug in the software for setting longitude "+/-" setting. You could use the up/down arrows on the sides of the numbers, or you could use the up/down arrows on the 4-way arrows, but only one would actually "stick" the setting (I believe it was the up/down on the sides of the number pad). Thus my controller thought I was on the opposite side of the planet, and attempted to slew my scope in a direction below the horizon, and that's when the control pack went up in smoke. A later firmware addressed this bug so that both sets of arrow inputs would stick the longitude "+/-" setting.

Good luck.

Edited by Bugsi (03/25/13 03:30 PM)

tclehman1969
sage

Reged: 05/18/10

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Orion Atlas is Dead new [Re: zambonikane]
      #5756530 - 03/25/13 04:33 PM

Nothing worse then getting set up and finding you have no power!

And especially bad as I just purchased an Atlas the other day!

Something else to check may be the solder joint of the 12v input on the Atlas. Over time with the cord being plugged in and unplugged and tugged repeatedly with use, maybe that could be the problem. Or the 12v male connector just doesn't connect solidly anymore.

Just a thought, anyway.

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 709

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics