Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Cotts]
      #5761959 - 03/28/13 09:13 AM

I just stripped an EQ5 thats lived its whole life in an obs. The mount still ran ok but on strip down it was amazing how many spifers webs were inside it. The tracking motor cover had about five generations of spiders in there. Ditto for DEC main casing.

On top of that, although well lubed, the mount had a fair amount of internal corrosion, mostly surface stuff in many areas but some areas were much worse than others.

The mount has been in an obs for about four years. Its also ocasionally used as a portable set-up for camping.

Painwork was a big problem as wwell with a lot of paint f
Aked off and mashed up in the internals.

The UK of course is very damp at the best of times amd the mount has had very infrequent use, again natural for the UK where the sky is unreliable.

Corrosion was about what I would expect for any alloy and stainless contraption left under cover but outside for the UK.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5761969 - 03/28/13 09:19 AM

I wish I had the courage to leave my rig out under a 360 cover. I'd love to walk outside, remove the cover, walk back inside and begin imaging. My setup would be quicker, I'd get more astronomy in; the benefits are endless.

But, I'm not willing to risk it. I remember asking about the 360 cover in a forum post and everyone said it works. Then I read of a few people who it didn't work for. It's a matter of risk/reward, but the risk is great.

Unfortunately, the next best solution is an observatory which will cost at least $2500.

EDIT: Also, those recommending the cover should specify their climate. What works perfectly in Arizona may not in Buffalo.

Edited by Footbag (03/28/13 09:20 AM)

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Footbag]
      #5762227 - 03/28/13 11:30 AM

Quote:

Also, those recommending the cover should specify their climate. What works perfectly in Arizona may not in Buffalo.

This is exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. Given my mount would be 10ft from the ocean in a coastal temperate rainforest I rather suspect it would not last as well as in a nice dry desert under a cover.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5762902 - 03/28/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Also, those recommending the cover should specify their climate. What works perfectly in Arizona may not in Buffalo.

This is exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. Given my mount would be 10ft from the ocean in a coastal temperate rainforest I rather
suspect it would not last as well as in a nice dry desert under a cover.

Good point

I am in the south of spain.
Very hot and dry summers with humidity.
Cool winters with coldish nights....mildly humid....rains a few times a month..sometimes really stormy rainfall....my setup is on tiles, not grass, i have a non electric deigned for a bathroom de humidifier under the 365 cover.....its crystals need drying out every couple weeks or so.

Am very content with my setup being outside under the cover.
Not caring about a few rusty screw heads.
The hand controllers and Mallincams are taken inside the house.
Mount and scope after 3 years work like new...and if i cleaned off the surface rust on the screws then you would think the rig was stored in the house.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: HCR32]
      #5763024 - 03/28/13 07:21 PM

I wouldn't do it, at least not without staking the tripod down. My G11 once blew over (with no scope on it) while covered with a Desert Storm mylar cover. I've seen many scopes blow over at star parties even when uncovered.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Joe Bergeron]
      #5763058 - 03/28/13 07:44 PM

The reason I don't leave my Planet or Teeter outside anymore is simple: porcupines. They are particularly attracted to plywood. Beware!

Dark skies.

Jack

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: HCR32]
      #5763229 - 03/28/13 09:31 PM

1) web page

2) web page

3) web page

That should take care of it.

What I do when I set it up in the grass is put a full size garden type trash bag up each leg of the tripod and then tape them all together at the top of the tripods. Then I use a 365 cover that comes down almost to the ground. That way my sprinklers can go on and not get anything wet. Of course I only leave it out for a week or two at a time and I use it very often. So far no spiders or other problems.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5763638 - 03/29/13 04:48 AM

I had this pier out in the elements for 7 years in the salty air with no cover. The adapter plate is made from some special high grade steal and the corrosion is very superficial. The actual pier is heavily corroded where the paint has peeled off.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5763626&...

gastargazer01

Reged: 12/21/12

Loc: Flowery Branch GA
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5769316 - 03/31/13 05:33 PM

As I said the 365 cover works for me. I am in Georgia USA, tripod is on hard soil. I have not had it out during the summer (new scope) Everyone says get a light or heat source, may want to stay away from white light I would think that they would attract bugs. I will have it on a pier by summer with a roll off vented outhouse. I am not a veteran here, just my observations over the past few months.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: gastargazer01]
      #5771964 - 04/01/13 11:34 PM

I am in Warner Robins, Georgia. Bertha stays outside 24/7. For two years now, Besides getting ready for an evening's observing, I remove the tarp on weekends to eliminate any condensation buildup. I'm doing right well as the scope, arms, mount show no aging or no fading no paint peeling. During warm weather, regular applications of spider and insect killer keep the pests away.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Kraus]
      #5773108 - 04/02/13 03:01 PM

What do you use to keep the spiders and other insects from climbing up the tripod legs? Is there a good product to use for this?

Thx
Al

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5773610 - 04/02/13 06:13 PM

No tripod. Bertha sits atop a 12" concrete pier and wedge. I use 'Raid Max' spider and scorpion killer in a blue spray can.

Per Frejvall
sage

Reged: 09/28/12

Loc: Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Kraus]
      #5781054 - 04/06/13 02:29 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

What can I say... I bought one of those garden grill covers and added a zipper. The important thing is to make sure that it is not entirely enclosed. I let it breathe in the bottom part, below the mount itself.

Under the cover is:

* 10Micron GM2000HPS
* Tak FSQ 106 EDXIII
* SBIG ST-8300M, SX wheel
* Some minor stuff

Under the blue umbrella is my case with the computer, voltage inverters, batteries and whatever else is needed for remote operation. The sky sensor is somewhat snowed over

/per

Edited by Per Frejvall (04/06/13 02:34 AM)

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Per Frejvall]
      #5781086 - 04/06/13 03:10 AM

I think that your decision should be based on how far from the sea you live. If there is salt in the air, don't do it regardless of what cover you have.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: rmollise]
      #5781319 - 04/06/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

Not me. If you live, like I do, in an area that's humid, hot, and rainy, your mount would soon be the Hilton Hotel for the 8-legged set. Spiders can squeeze in through the smallest openings and would actually prefer their digs be covered with a nice tarp...

Would putting a bright light under the cover help? Spiders are attracted to dark and eschew light. The heat generated by the light (or a heat stick) would help with the humidity.

rgsalinger

Reged: 02/19/07

Loc: Carlsbad Ca
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Cotts]
      #5781552 - 04/06/13 10:57 AM

Admittedly I live in southern California so my experience may not be typical. I had a CGE outside for two consecutive summers which included rain and heat and fog and it worked perfectly. I did have spiders and had to use spray weekly to keep them completely at bay. Frankly, I'd worry more about insects than electronics and I really doubt that there's a shred of science behind the rusty bolt bad electronics theory.
Rgrds-Ross

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Mounts left out in the elements. new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5788712 - 04/09/13 05:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. Given my mount would be 10ft from the ocean in a coastal temperate rainforest I rather suspect it would not last as well as in a nice dry desert under a cover.

I'm thinking that many many subjects visited here on CN have a pretty close relationship to where the poster is located. When reading a post, whether it's someone asking for assistance or telling about something, I find myself checking the left side of the post to see where they are located. It would be good if people would put some info there about where they are located. It sure doesn't need to be a street address or a GPS location but a general idea of which corner of the world is helpful.
Rant off!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2443

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics