Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dan McConaughy
sage

Reged: 11/11/06

Loc: LA
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Raginar]
      #5752906 - 03/23/13 10:43 PM

I have Maxxon motors and McLennen gear boxes on my Byers mount, and they are quieter than the Losmandy gear boxes. I run my mount at 500X and at 18 volts and it's not very noisy. The motors are a bit noisier at 18 volts than 12 volts. It does get noisier if the worm is a bit sloppy with the worm gear and the mount is out of balance in favor of the direction that the mount is slewing - it's actually quieter when it's driving out of balance against the counter weight and working harder. If you burn out motors going to the limit, use less pressure on the clutches - you don't really need that much tension on the clutch if the mount is balanced. I use as little pressure on the clutches as I can get away with.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Dan McConaughy]
      #5753106 - 03/24/13 01:26 AM

David,

Besides trimming the driveshaft to match my current gearboxes, is there anything missing from the tutorial on how to replace them?

Dan,

I agree completely. I test my safety limit each time now just to make sure, and I've loosened my clutches as much as I can without getting slippage.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor new [Re: Raginar]
      #5754599 - 03/24/13 05:53 PM

I don't know, Chris. I just happen to have this in my bookmarks. I've never done it. Truth be known, my mount works so well as is, I've decided to leave it alone. Also, I'm not sure what I would have to do since I run my 250 with SiTech.

David

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Losmandy's new high-speed motor [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5755248 - 03/24/13 11:52 PM

David,

That's right, you're running the SiTech. Honestly, they're plug-n-play for the Gemini gearboxes minus shortening the driveshaft to make it match whatever your particular mount is cut for. I dunno what your mod entailed.

BTW, I love my MI-250. This mount is fantastic!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1690

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics