Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Edge 9.25 or Edge 11?
      #5756370 - 03/25/13 03:05 PM

Hi, I think this has been asked a bit and I've done some reading here on it, but I'm asking again.

I'm looking to buy an EdgeHD, mostly for visual, but also to shoot with my Canon Eos 7d... and I want to take advantage of Celestron's sale right now before the end of the month. But I just can't decide between the C9.25 or the C11... the weights are pretty similar 113lbs vs 120lbs (with the CGEM mount). The size of the OTA isn't hugely different either, 2" difference in length and the obvious difference in the diameter. Now, I probably won't be taking this thing out of my backyard too often, but I will a few times a year for sure.

The real question is the balance between price and light gathering capability. $500 difference, aperture of 2350mm vs 2800mm, light gathering of 1127x vs 1600x. I know what those numbers all mean, but not enough to put it into a real world difference in what I'm going to actually see.

I know if I had more time I could probably find some folks who own these scopes and take a look, but the sale is coming to an end 3/31 and seeing has been pretty lame the last week or so.

I have been looking at photos taken with Edge scopes and honestly the Edge 14 just blows my mind. But that thing's a monster, so heavy and WAY more expensive... mostly due to the CGE Pro mount. Now the photos I've seen taken with the 11 are also pretty fantastic too, and even some with the 9.25 and the 8... but I definitely see a difference in the 11.

I've seen a lot of people very happy with the Edge 8, but I wonder was that choice born more out of portability, price or what?

So... is going from the 9.25 to the 11 worth the $550 price difference and the modest size and weight increase? Will having more aperture help my ability to see more in a red/orange zone? I'm kinda thinking it is, and I really just want to buy this thing once with room to grow, and not regret it... I know it sounds like I have my mind made up, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

I wanted to solicit more experienced opinions. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RossSackett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: WesC]
      #5756414 - 03/25/13 03:25 PM

11! You know you want it... And I faced the same choice a month ago and I need you to validate my decision.

Zoomster
Vendor - Clear Sky Adventures

Reged: 01/30/05

Loc: Tampa FL
      #5756424 - 03/25/13 03:28 PM

Astronomers Golden Rule #1: If all else is equal go with more apeture, better resolution, more light gathering, etc. As long as the added weight and size make no difference for you....Do It. I went from an eight to eleven and have never regretted it and can't see going back unlesss some unforseen circumstance, i.e. health, forces me to.

RossSackett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Zoomster]
      #5756453 - 03/25/13 03:37 PM

More seriously, I love my CPC EdgeHD 1100, but those few extra pounds on the top-end meant a big lift (until I put it all on a cart) and chill-down no doubt takes longer. Also, local seeing from my urban location (and the fact that Memphis seems to be a jet-stream magnet) means I rarely get to take advantage of the improved resolution. Just things to keep in mind. But I'm glad I got the 11; the 14" was never a resonable option since I observe alone and already have an 18" dob anyway.
Ross

telfish
sage

Reged: 11/17/10

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: RossSackett]
      #5756491 - 03/25/13 04:02 PM

If you are going to use Hyperstar with your canon, and it screams to be used. Then go for the 11 inch scope.

Hell go for it anyway!

mikertx
sage

Reged: 09/29/05

Loc: Austin, TX
      #5756501 - 03/25/13 04:09 PM

I've owned a C11 OTA (not Edge) for many years and it's not that hard to manage. Except for the C9.25 "magic" I haven't seen much use for this space between the very portable 8" and the better light grasp of the 11". A good friend has the C14 and it's a whole different ballgame.

+1 for the C11 Edge!

Mike

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
      #5756572 - 03/25/13 04:48 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

All other things being equal, the C11 hands down. And if you want to use it more often, build it a shed

Clear Skies,
Brian

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: mikertx]
      #5756588 - 03/25/13 04:53 PM

Thanks guys! Well, no one seems interested in saving me money! LOL!

Yeah, I thought about longer cool down, dew and stuff like that... seems like I could uses those fans that Deep Space Products sells if it turns out to be an issue... right now this rasslefrackin' haze and cirrus clouds are my issue.

Its good to hear that the 11 isn't that bad of a beast to manage, I'm in reasonably good shape so I think I've got many good years left to wrangle a bigger sized OTA.

RossSacket, I'm curious what kind of cart to you use? That might be a handy way to move mine around from the garage to the backyard.

Also, how sensitive is the collimation to moving this thing around?

I haven't yet considered a Hyperstar... I still have a LOT to learn about astrophotography, but I will look into it!

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: BKBrown]
      #5756604 - 03/25/13 05:00 PM

I have owned both scopes. C9.25 for 8 years and C11 Edge for almost 3 years. For visual, I would go for C11 Edge hands down. I have sold it very recently (the new owner will pick it up in 2 weeks time from me). I am downisizing to a C8 Edge. I was using the 11" only for imaging mostly. I've decided I didn't needed that big a scope for imaging.

So my advice will be go for the 11" if you gonna use it mostly for visual. If you gonna use it for imaging most of the time, go with a C8 Edge or C9.25 Edge.

C11 is also a monster to setup and tear down every time.

Good luck!

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5756607 - 03/25/13 05:02 PM

Oh, since you mention Hyperstar, if you plan to use this with a DSLR, then the minimum would be C9. A DSLR is just too big for C8.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5756617 - 03/25/13 05:09 PM

Yeah I was kinda thinking my 7d would be too big for an 8-inch scope.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#5756625 - 03/25/13 05:13 PM

7D is too big for C11 as well, I mean to use with Hyperstar.

RossSackett
Carpal Tunnel

#5756659 - 03/25/13 05:34 PM Attachment (70 downloads)

CPC EdgeHD 1100 and Tak FS102 APO on modified trash cart. That's a spare corrector-cover with Baader astrosolar film. The cart remains attached in use; the handles raise for transport. The assembled rig lives in my garage shop. I blast the whole thing with a shop fan for cool down, and have vent fans to keep up with the cooling evening.

Edited by RossSackett (03/25/13 05:39 PM)

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5756768 - 03/25/13 06:30 PM

Whoa! That's a crazy clever frankenrig! Thanks for showing it. I'm always amazed at what people come up with!

titanio
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Loc: Alicante, Spain
      #5756885 - 03/25/13 07:45 PM

A friend of mine had the C11 HD edge telescope, my friend like a lot observing the planets and moon, he told me he was disappointed with that telescope, he also had a Masutov M815D with sital optics. So I didnt buy a C11 Edge and I bought a C9,25 HD edge, This telescope is amazing and I am very happy wit it, yes I cannot speak about a C11 edge telescope, what I can say is I had a C11 made in USA and the C9,25 HD is much more better, the stars are pinpoints at to the edge.

Toni

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: titanio]
      #5756958 - 03/25/13 08:20 PM

Interesting, titanio. So your friend say WHY he was disappointed in the Edge 11? Especially since you really like your Edge 9.25... they are the same design. Maybe he got a defective one...

Do you do planetary observing?

titanio
sage

#5757023 - 03/25/13 09:09 PM

Hi WesC
My friend didnt told about the problem with his C11 Edge, he told me he love his c 9, 25 standard unit and that it was much better than a Intes MK9 he used to have, maybe he got a defective c11 edge or the telescope had another problem, what I know is that C9,25 telescopes have something special, specially for planets .
Yes I do planetary observing but also I like deep sky.

Toni

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #5757042 - 03/25/13 09:21 PM

Now that is one of the most bizzare, innovative approaches I've seen for scope transport. Positively Ghetto (in a good way!)

Arizona-Ken
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/31/08

Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona
Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5757131 - 03/25/13 10:20 PM

Edge 11. In two years you won't remember the price difference, but you will be glad you got the bigger scope.

Arizona Ken

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #5757270 - 03/25/13 11:53 PM

Quote:

I've seen a lot of people very happy with the Edge 8, but I wonder was that choice born more out of portability, price or what?

I got the Edge 8 because of price and portability, plus I already have a CPC1100. The Edge 8" also rides on the CGEM with the extra gear needed for astroimaging very well. For astrophotography, I think the 8" is the CAT's meow, pun intended. By the time you load up the CGEM with a C11 plus a guide scope, camera, etc you will be pushing the envelope.

For visual, the 11" would definitely be a great choice. But for visual only, the CPC fork mount is much easier to use.

Patrick

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5757308 - 03/26/13 12:39 AM

Thanks for your thoughts Patrick.

RossSackett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5757586 - 03/26/13 07:15 AM

Quote:

Now that is one of the most bizzare, innovative approaches I've seen for scope transport. Positively Ghetto (in a good way!)

I use this set-up as my utility scope so it needs to be easy to move around my yard. The arrangement isn't very pretty but it is highly functional. Unlike the more common "trike" carts the legs are firmly planted on the ground when the scope is in use. I also like having the the eyepiece bag suspended on the cart. There's a bracket that holds my 12V battery, with a light pointing forwards to illuminate the path when I'm rolling. I'm considering adding hooks for my observing chair, as well: one roll and you're good to go.

It works great on pavement and fine on the lawn, but I would love a wider wheelbase to reduce the side-to-side sway on the lumpy lawn. When I have some time I'll get out the welder and build a more elegant cart, but for now this will do nicely.

Ross

Edited by RossSackett (03/26/13 09:14 AM)

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5758149 - 03/26/13 12:41 PM

Thanks for the "shove" guys... I placed my order for the CGEM 1100 HD Edge this morning with Astronomics.

Now... the wait. Because, you know, its backordered... of course.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#5758293 - 03/26/13 01:54 PM

Congratulations!

titanio
sage

#5758412 - 03/26/13 03:06 PM

Congratulions, dont forget to give us son pics and comments

toni

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: titanio]
      #5758417 - 03/26/13 03:11 PM

Thanks! I will try... it might be a while between the backorder and the bad hazy weather here though.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5761119 - 03/27/13 07:36 PM

For imaging the Edge 11 has the advantage off an available .7 focal reducer and a longer distance from the back of the tube to the sensor for best back focus. The disadvantage is the longer focal length and weight requiring a better mount.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: JMW]
      #5761498 - 03/27/13 11:04 PM

Yeah, I'm a tiny bit concerned about the CGEM, but right now it's all I can afford. Hopefully it will work out.

Honestly... The wait is killing me! At least there is haze and I couldn't use it right now anyway.

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
      #5762115 - 03/28/13 10:24 AM

In the muscle car world there is a saying, "There's no replacement for displacement."

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: CharlesW]
      #5764840 - 03/29/13 02:14 PM

Can I borrow your Paramount?

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5773009 - 04/02/13 02:01 PM

Astronomics says they hope to get stock in this week and ship my C1100 HD to me the same day... yes I'm impatient.
So, to help pass the time, I have a short list of options I'm going to add... If anyone thinks these are unnecessary, has anything to add or has a better suggestion, please let me know!

Oh and right now, these are all things I can reverse if I ever need warranty service, and also things I think will make my observing go more smoothly.

• Bob's Knobs
  • FT Microfocuser (I really hate stock focusers)
  • Deep Space products Tempest fan kit
  • AP 2" visual back (still concerned about APs recommendation on the back for this scope)
  • Either AP, TV or WO 2" dielectric diagonal
  • Astrozap dew shield
  • Possibly dew heater strips and a controller, depending on the dew levels here in dry SoCal

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: JMW]
      #5773019 - 04/02/13 02:04 PM

Quote:

For imaging the Edge 11 has the advantage off an available .7 focal reducer and a longer distance from the back of the tube to the sensor for best back focus. The disadvantage is the longer focal length and weight requiring a better mount.

And a reducer (from Celestron) for the 8-inch is on the way...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5775426 - 04/03/13 12:11 PM

Quote:

Astronomics says they hope to get stock in this week and ship my C1100 HD to me the same day... yes I'm impatient.
So, to help pass the time, I have a short list of options I'm going to add... If anyone thinks these are unnecessary, has anything to add or has a better suggestion, please let me know!

Oh and right now, these are all things I can reverse if I ever need warranty service, and also things I think will make my observing go more smoothly.

• Bob's Knobs
  • FT Microfocuser (I really hate stock focusers)
  • Deep Space products Tempest fan kit
  • AP 2" visual back (still concerned about APs recommendation on the back for this scope)
  • Either AP, TV or WO 2" dielectric diagonal
  • Astrozap dew shield
  • Possibly dew heater strips and a controller, depending on the dew levels here in dry SoCal

I have had Bob's Knobs on several different scopes and liked them on some. However, I do not like them on the EdgeHD due to the cover that rotates to cover the normal collimation screws. Because of this cover, the Bob's Knobs end up somewhat recessed and very difficult to get any good grip on to turn. I ended up taking them off of my C11HD for this reason and replacing them with allen head screws. The allen-heads are much easier to adjust than the standard Phillips head screws.

Love the FT focuser.

I really like the Baader clicklock visual back.

I would go with the less expensive WO diagonal.

I would consider an ADM dovetail to replace the stock one.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: EFT]
      #5775482 - 04/03/13 12:43 PM

That's interesting, Ed... the photo I saw of the Bob's knobs for the 11" Edge scopes shows small spacers that raise the knobs up to a point that it seems like this wouldn't be a problem... new development maybe?

That Baader does look like a cool VB, are there any downsides? Does it center and square the diagonal accurately? It is quite a bit more than the AP back, but the convenience might just make up for it if its square and centered. Anything has to be better than stock.

Which ADM dovetail and why? Better stability?

EFT

#5775519 - 04/03/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

That's interesting, Ed... the photo I saw of the Bob's knobs for the 11" Edge scopes shows small spacers that raise the knobs up to a point that it seems like this wouldn't be a problem... new development maybe?

That Baader does look like a cool VB, are there any downsides? Does it center and square the diagonal accurately? It is quite a bit more than the AP back, but the convenience might just make up for it if its square and centered. Anything has to be better than stock.

Which ADM dovetail and why? Better stability?

Perhaps they have raised the knobs a bit to solve the problem. In the end though I have come to the conclusion that allen head screws are the best because the allen wrench gives you a better lever to use for making fine adjustments. You do have to be careful to not over-tighten though.

The Clicklock is suppose to center your diagonal or eyepiece and holds it like glue.

The stock dovetail is simply OK. But it is extruded aluminum that may not be straight and it's fit into some saddles is not always that good. The ADMs are machined aluminum and very well made. One of the other reasons that I like them on both the bottom and top of the scope is that they are raised off of the tube and can be used as "handles" while picking up and mounting the beast. It is not necessarily a must have, but I have replaced all of my stock dovetails with them. A good saddle on the mount is at least as important if not more so.

Whoapiglet

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Denver
      #5775554 - 04/03/13 01:20 PM

+1 on the clicklock- and I had the AP. the Clicklock very sturdy and very easy to use, and if I had my Edge 11 on a GEM like you are planning, it would be even more essential due to the convenience of rotating the diagonal.

I have the new extended bobs knobs and they clear the housing just fine.

Tempest fans are essential, I have all three.

have the feathertouch too, and it is very nice, but it doesn't fix the focusing issues. I had problems this winter with the mirror being slow to slide down the focuser baffle in the cold (common to all SCTs). essentially, it was like wanting the mirror to move at 5mph and it would only slide down at 1mph.

you can lessen the effect by racking the mirror in and out a bunch, and try to arrive at your focus with a push (close focus) not a pull, you can minimize this, but it doesn't go away. its considerably better in the summer.

just don't expect that the FT will make the scope focus like a FT refractor or Newt. you'd need a crayford on the back for that and that adds plenty of other issues.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#5775560 - 04/03/13 01:23 PM

+1 for allen screws.

The allen key gives you an indication how much you rotate that specific screw like the minute hand of a clock. With Bob's Knobs you are just guessing.

Whoapiglet

Reged: 08/07/12

Loc: Denver
      #5775583 - 04/03/13 01:32 PM

That gave me an idea Bilgebay...Gonna scribe a line on my bobs knobs! thanks!

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5775602 - 04/03/13 01:39 PM

Thanks for your advice Ed! After struggling for months to stabilize a little NexStar 130SLT I can appreciate wanting a solid dovetail.

Is this the dovetail model you're talking about?
http://admaccessories.com/V_Series_Dovetails.htm

Also what do you think of this diagonal? Its quite a bit less than the AP or Televue.
http://www.optcorp.com/os-d2diq-2inch-quartz-dielectric-diagonal.html

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Whoapiglet]
      #5775623 - 04/03/13 01:47 PM

Quote:

I instantly thought of the same thing. A mark on each knob!

EFT

#5775648 - 04/03/13 01:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your advice Ed! After struggling for months to stabilize a little NexStar 130SLT I can appreciate wanting a solid dovetail.

Is this the dovetail model you're talking about?
http://admaccessories.com/V_Series_Dovetails.htm

Also what do you think of this diagonal? Its quite a bit less than the AP or Televue.
http://www.optcorp.com/os-d2diq-2inch-quartz-dielectric-diagonal.html

You want the D-Series assuming that your mount has a D-series saddle. I think you said that you have a CGEM in which case I would also upgrade the saddle to the dual saddle when you get the chance. Best piece of kit out there.

I think that the OPT diagonal is fine. There are some real diagonal connoisseurs out there, but the differences tend to be far beyond what I notice.

BTW, do hesitate to buy used when you can find stuff.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

#5775684 - 04/03/13 02:11 PM

Great, thanks Ed. I will keep those on my list. I suspect that I will want all the stability I can get.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: Edge 9.25 or Edge 11? new [Re: Whoapiglet]
      #5775763 - 04/03/13 03:00 PM

Quote:

You are welcome. As you guys would say, been there, done that You will have a better control with the long torque arm of the allen wrench.

But of course a mark on the knob is better than nothing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2133

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics