Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
N7XW
sage

Reged: 05/04/07

Loc: Westport, WA
New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new
      #5757446 - 03/26/13 02:57 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

I received my new 8" CPC Edge today. Wow, what a telescope! This is my first goto rig since my old ETX125.

Everything was delivered in good condition except the visual back. The paint is badly scratched and chipped. I wouldn't care much but am concerned about it further coming off and falling into the tube. Is this a concern or should I get over it? Think I should call the retailer or Celestron about it?

Thanks.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
N7XW
sage

Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: N7XW]
      #5757448 - 03/26/13 02:58 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Second picture:

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #5757902 - 03/26/13 10:36 AM

The tube is sealed on the Edge with the built in FF, but there's nothing wrong with giving the retailer a call.

I tend to think items that appear banged up or worn on new gear indicates it may have other problems and worked its way back into stock.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: Footbag]
      #5758078 - 03/26/13 12:12 PM

There's not much mechanically complex about the visual back so it will work just fine but that unit is obviously not "factory fresh" ... it's been used or really banged around in transit. The surface is anodized so you're not likely going to get any debris off of it ... no paint chips or anything like that.

I would however be more concerned with what appears to be ridges pressed into the gold ring in the second photo, that to me looks like someone has used a pair of pliers or vice grips on it or it's been squeezed by something else.

I'd talk to your dealer or Celestron directly and nicely but firmly ask for a replacement.

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5758274 - 03/26/13 01:36 PM

Yikes!!! It looks like this scope was used by previous owner who returned the scope for an exchange or refund. Check you scope and fork mount for obvious sign of previous use. I would e-mail the photos of your visual back to your dealer and discuss with them whether this scope was previously used and ask for an exchange of the visual back.

Peter

N7XW
sage

Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #5758350 - 03/26/13 02:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I called the dealer. They are sending a replacement visual back. They said the scope is not a return and that all returns are sent back to Celestron directly.

The problem with this visual back looks like it was messed up when it was machined. The orange retaining ring is cut smooth except where you see the rough spots/ridges. About 1/2 of the circumference is smooth and the other 1/2 is rough. It really looks like a manufacturing error to me.

Tim J K

Reged: 05/19/09

Loc: Iowa
      #5760397 - 03/27/13 01:55 PM

How about a picture of the new scope!

Seiko4169
sage

Reged: 07/04/09

Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: Tim J K]
      #5760634 - 03/27/13 03:40 PM

Also, what are your thoughts on the noise of the scope. I got rid of my CPC 800 due to the resonating noise and slow top speed. Have Celestron improved these aspects on the new deluxe version?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: Seiko4169]
      #5761936 - 03/28/13 08:57 AM

Quote:

Also, what are your thoughts on the noise of the scope. I got rid of my CPC 800 due to the resonating noise and slow top speed. Have Celestron improved these aspects on the new deluxe version?

I've never heard anybody else complain about slewing speed. At any rate the top speed has NOT changed. Likewise, you're the only person I've heard complain about noise issues from what is IMHO a nice, quiet telescope.

Suffice to say, if you didn't like the standard CPC, you won't like the Deluxe, either.

Tim J K

Reged: 05/19/09

Loc: Iowa
Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: rmollise]
      #5762146 - 03/28/13 10:43 AM

I find the slew speeds adequate (you can select a range of speeds), and the noise is not an issue form me at all. I really like the SE mounts for the price - easy to transport, setup and use. Great for my visual (no AP) use.

Tim

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5762191 - 03/28/13 11:06 AM

I've been set up with my CPC1100 next to some big Meade fork mounted SCTs and the racket from them when slewing is at least twice the volume of the Celestron. The CPCs are the quietest motorized scopes I can remember.

Seiko4169
sage

#5762633 - 03/28/13 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've never heard anybody else complain about slewing speed. At any rate the top speed has NOT changed. Likewise, you're the only person I've heard complain about noise issues from what is IMHO a nice, quiet telescope.

Suffice to say, if you didn't like the standard CPC, you won't like the Deluxe, either.

Yeah, as I said I had an 8i and was accustomed to the fast slew speeds and quiet slewing noise.

The CPC had a very prominent resonating sound whilst it slewed and it seemed to take an eternity compared with my 8i. 6 degrees compared with 3 is certainly noticeable.

Anyway, I let the 8i go thinking I'd get used to the CPC's noise and slowness and would prefer it's accuracy. Alas, I didn't and then couldn't get another 8i as the SE range came to town. I heard the noise went up and knew I'd made a bit of a mistake. Managed to find a brand new 5i but then missed the bright views of the 8i and have been trying to solve that dilemma ever since. Currently trying an Edge HD on the new mount but I already think the SE mount is a real step backwards in terms of noise and speed.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5762944 - 03/28/13 06:46 PM

Well, the NS8i is faster, but it's 5-degrees/second, not 6. Do you need to get there in a hurry, or do you need to get there accurately?

Seiko4169
sage

#5762964 - 03/28/13 06:55 PM

Quote:

Well, the NS8i is faster, but it's 5-degrees/second, not 6. Do you need to get there in a hurry, or do you need to get there accurately?

Ha Ha - well we all know the Nexstar's aren't the most accurate anyway so it better be speedy if nothing else.

To be honest, I'd just settle on QUIET!

BTW, just rechecked the 8i manual and the max slewing speed is indeed 6 as I thought. The SE's are now 5 which is another major gripe of mine as they are even noisier! Grrr!

Slew speeds
Six slew speeds: 6o /sec, 2o /sec, 128x, 64x, 16x, 8x

Edited by Seiko4169 (03/28/13 07:47 PM)

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5764146 - 03/29/13 10:32 AM

EAR PLUGS...!

I happen to own an 8i along with a CPC1100 and to be honest I do not see much ...if any... difference in the noise and as for GoTo accuracy they both are darn good...The CPC worked out of the box BUT the 8i took a lot of tweaking with the balance (Rays brackets for clearance and balance) and backlash settings however...SO from my own experience the capability is there in the 8i as well as the 8se..

Bob G.

N7XW
sage

Re: New CPC800 Edge HD, visual back question new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5764309 - 03/29/13 11:24 AM

I really don't find the noise overwhelming or annoying. I did notice the pitch is higher when slewing one direction and lower in the opposite direction, for both azimuth and altitude.

Seiko4169
sage

#5765090 - 03/29/13 04:00 PM

No I certainly don't think the noise was over wheeling but I didn't like the idea of paying for a "superior" mount only to find it much noisier and slower than my cheaper 8i. Same goes for the supposed upgrade to the SE over the i. It shouldn't be noisier or slower but it is.

And yes, one direction is noisier than the other on mine too.

I also found that the CPC had a resonating sound which I guessed was due to the small work gear used?

The Nexstar spur gears just sound like a motor spinning. The i sounds like a smooth whir where as the SE sounds like a course and loud whine with a touch of resonating.

Shame really as I consider the sound of the motors/mount an indication of quality (perhaps wrongly admittedly) but I do. Having used Celestrons over the years I would have loved them to have worked on quieting the slewing without sacrificing the speed.

My neighbours may not complain but they must wonder what the sounds are and as I slew to many objects in a night it's not like its only a one off.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5765229 - 03/29/13 04:50 PM

Well, I got the 5-degree spec from Celestron...they ort-to know. Maybe.

If you need quieter than the CPC, what you want is a Dobsonian.

Seiko4169
sage

#5765286 - 03/29/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

Well, I got the 5-degree spec from Celestron...they ort-to know. Maybe.

If you need quieter than the CPC, what you want is a Dobsonian.

Ha ha - yes, but I think they let you (of all people) down.

Even the Nexstar i manual states 6. The SE is 5 so I'm guessing they didn't consider the older versions.

As for Dob's, not for me. After reading your wonderful history on CATs I think I'm sold on them for the foreseeable future hence the Edge purchase. Now I just need a quiet GOTO mount! Can't be that hard to find can it?

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1120

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics