Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/08

Loc: LaGrange, GA
So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new
      #5743444 - 03/19/13 04:57 PM

is it really good? I mean, is it worth the price? I was thinking of getting one purely for imaging, but I don't know much about it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Phil Hosey]
      #5744469 - 03/20/13 04:09 AM

Visually it is an awesome scope. Optics are fantastic. Nothing more to say on the matter of optics. Lightweight due to carbon body. Dunno if f7 is appropriate for you vis-a-vis field of view. You will also need the obligatory field flattener.

But I can only speak regarding the visual performance of the scope. Nearest contender is AT90EDT 90mm f/6.7 FPL-53 ED triplet apochromatic refractor for $200 less.

But with SV you buy into the whole "we inspect the scope multiple times to ensure it is top quality" and "we check each lens thoroughly prior to mounting it" plus it's much lighter so probably easier on your mount.

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #5744484 - 03/20/13 04:27 AM

That is a great scope, plenty of reviews and all good. Visually if you put a 40mm ES 68 degree eyepiece in there you will have about a 4 degree true field of view. I can tell you from my experience that a 3.5" scope with that kind of view is a lot of fun to use. I was looking a 3 open star clusters all at the same time a few nights ago in my 92mm. Great for viewing those large nebula too, the veil nebula is particularly nice when you can see the whole thing at one time framed with plenty of black space around it.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Lane]
      #5744730 - 03/20/13 09:23 AM

I had mine out this morning, taking a quick look at Saturn, Dumbell Nebula, Hercules Cluster, Spiral Cluster, etc. The nebula was of course pretty dim, but I could discern a hint of the hourglass shape.

I really like this scope. It snaps to focus, shows nice concentric diffraction rings, has very good contrast, and the focuser is sweet. And the light, compact form factor is made for carrying through doorways!

David

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #5744785 - 03/20/13 10:01 AM

Quote:

Nearest contender is AT90EDT 90mm f/6.7 FPL-53 ED triplet apochromatic refractor for $200 less.

and it has a collimatable lens cell
SV doesn't.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5744879 - 03/20/13 11:05 AM

That particular 90mm FPL-53 triplet optic is pretty darned good. Rohr on astro-foren.de has tested a number of them, including the SV skinned version, with great results. The new 2.5" R&P focuser used by SV (and others like TS, Sharpstar and APM) is pretty decent too; about the same as the better Crayfords from Long Perng (such as those used on several of the Astro-Tech scopes that have the steel contact plate).

The only downside for that scope I see is that even at the "sale" price is its pretty expensive compared to other scopes using that optical group. It's also no longer on sale, and the CF version is now sold out, so you're looking at $1695 for the aluminum tubed version. You can get the Telescope Service version from Germany with a field flattener/reducer and a modular tube included for about 1000 Euros for export to the US.

On the other hand, if you're in the US you'll have an easier time getting service (should you need it) with the Stellarvue.

Regards,

Jim

Phil Frederick
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5745030 - 03/20/13 12:19 PM

Not meaning to be horribly redundant here, but it IS a great scope!

And Jim, I believe that OPT still has a few of these available at the sale ($1495) price. And also of note is that this scope comes with SV's C18 case which is a real beauty!

...and no, I'm not affiliated with SV (or OPT)--just like their stuff!

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Phil Frederick]
      #5746127 - 03/20/13 08:12 PM

Awesome scope. Considering a second one for double the fun.

George

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: ghataa]
      #5746274 - 03/20/13 08:58 PM

You could put them side by side and turn them into a binocular.

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Lane]
      #5747011 - 03/21/13 07:36 AM

<< You could put them side by side and turn them into a binocular. >>

I recently sold a SV 115T to a guy in CA who is now building a bino scope with it. He already had the other 115.

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Phil Frederick]
      #5748486 - 03/21/13 08:45 PM

Yes, OPT still has a few of them for the expiring sale price, and one on the UPS truck coming my direction

Phil Frederick
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/19/05

Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Daud]
      #5749519 - 03/22/13 11:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, OPT still has a few of them for the expiring sale price, and one on the UPS truck coming my direction

David--You're gonna love it!

jerry10137
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. [Re: Phil Frederick]
      #5759186 - 03/26/13 09:08 PM

If you can get it at the sale price, it is very worth it. I picked one up and had first light a few weeks ago. Throw an Ethos eyepiece in there and be prepared to fall backwards....lol

Eclipse

Reged: 03/24/09

Loc: Solada EspaƱa
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5759862 - 03/27/13 09:46 AM

Quote:

On the other hand, if you're in the US you'll have an easier time getting service (should you need it) with the Stellarvue.

And if you“re NOT in the US Stellarvue have no interest in attracting your custom.

Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Eclipse]
      #5797281 - 04/13/13 06:22 PM

I have found my SV90 to be very nice over the two years I have owned it. Optically it is fantastic, but it is still a small scope. I use mine 80% of the time for imaging, and the center is quite good even without a flattener, but it is certainly on my shopping list. Individual galaxies are quite small, but larger targets are framed very nicely with it.

Quote:

And if you“re NOT in the US Stellarvue have no interest in attracting your custom.

I'm curious if this was meant in a joking manner or if you are serious. I can only speak to my own experience but I have purchased from Stellarvue living in Canada and found them quite accommodating. My local telescope dealer didn't have a contract to sell their telescopes, so I dealt with them directly quite easily.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
Re: So this SVR90 Raptor that's on sale right now.. new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5797308 - 04/13/13 06:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nearest contender is AT90EDT 90mm f/6.7 FPL-53 ED triplet apochromatic refractor for $200 less.

and it has a collimatable lens cell
SV doesn't.

You should never have to collimate a Stellarvue refractor unless it's subjected to severe shock. Vic will not ship one that is not collimated. I'm not sure about the SVR90's objective, but some SV models had non-collimatable lens cells, collimation being accomplished at the focuser end. My SV85S (Russian Lomo doublet apo lens) is that way.

David E
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/25/06

Loc: North Carolina
      #5797312 - 04/13/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

is it really good? I mean, is it worth the price? I was thinking of getting one purely for imaging, but I don't know much about it.

I don't know much about other brands(most people here know I'm a Stellarvue nut! ) but Vic has for a number of years now been doing research into optimizing the coatings for imaging. From his web page about this model: "...extreme broadband multi-coatings are used on all six air-to-glass surfaces. This boosts contrast, making the stars appear vivid and the background velvet black. These coatings transmit light above and below the visual spectrum. This is important to minimize reflections seen on ccd images."

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1490

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics