Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/07/05

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Erix]
      #5720642 - 03/08/13 02:17 PM

Erika,
Maybe even a bit closer since I am about a half hour or more north of San Antonio.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: bicparker]
      #5720667 - 03/08/13 02:30 PM

ausastronomer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/03

Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)
      #5725461 - 03/11/13 09:48 AM

Quote:

Alvin,

I now live north of San Antonio in the Hill Country. It is great out here.

Hi David,

Hopefully you and Beth can leave the hills of San Antonio behind for a couple of weeks in March next year and make another trip downunda. Of course you already know we offer a major serious photon fix down here, as this would be your 4th or 5th observing trip to OZ?.

I hope TSP goes well for you guys this year. I would love to return for another TSP, but unfortunately my family situation will preclude that for the next couple of years.

Cheers,

Sirius76
Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

Reged: 05/11/07

Loc: Chicago, Il
      #5742101 - 03/19/13 12:22 AM

Just wanted to announce to the board that Dark Skies Apparel/Deep Sky Forum will be attending this years TSP!

See you all in May!

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Texas Star Party [Re: Sirius76]
      #5759253 - 03/26/13 09:48 PM

That Deep Sky Forum is nice, I did not know it existed.

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Lane]
      #5759556 - 03/27/13 04:07 AM

Quote:

That Deep Sky Forum is nice, I did not know it existed.

Now you do.

Tom Laskowski

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5789952 - 04/10/13 10:37 AM

We have snow in the forecast. I can't wait to get out of here. I leave for TSP three weeks from tomorrow!!!!

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Tom Laskowski]
      #5790435 - 04/10/13 02:10 PM

Glad you have it and not us finally. I am heading to NEAF next weekend, then leave for TSP the Friday before.

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: DeanS]
      #5790692 - 04/10/13 04:44 PM

Yeah, it's sneaking up on us. I'm trying to see what I can fit in the Prius this year. No more Jeep. For the 2800 mile round trip gas will cost about $218 for the Prius as compared to about $650 for the Jeep.

I'll find out this weekend when we pack for a weekend camping trip to a green zone.

I'm going to set up in the middle field again this year.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5792034 - 04/11/13 10:03 AM

Wow that is a big difference. My older larger travel trailer took me about 265 gals of diesel. Got a newer smaller Casita/egg camper and expect it to run me >only< 200 gals this time

Still worth it compared to our skies at home.

Jim, have you ever gone to Deerlick for Peach State star gaze? I am going there this year instead of Okietex since it is about 1/3rd the distance for me. Should be an easy drive from Ind too?

Dean

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5792101 - 04/11/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

Wow that is a big difference. My older larger travel trailer took me about 265 gals of diesel. Got a newer smaller Casita/egg camper and expect it to run me >only< 200 gals this time

Still worth it compared to our skies at home.

Jim, have you ever gone to Deerlick for Peach State star gaze? I am going there this year instead of Okietex since it is about 1/3rd the distance for me. Should be an easy drive from Ind too?

Dean

Dean,

Yeah, ouch on the gas cost.

I haven't tried either of those two gatherings. I'll look into them and see if I can fit them in. Do you have a favorite between the two?

Jim

DeanS
Post Laureate

#5792195 - 04/11/13 11:53 AM

OkieTex is darker but that is a long drive. And it gets me no further south so the late summer southern objects are still a bit low. At least at Deerlick they are higher. Not as dark but in a dark blue zone.

They both have nice arrangements with showers and hooks up. Okie has some great meal plans where PSSG is more limted.

When I was at Okie 2 years ago the dust was extreme. TSP can be bad but Okie was like 2" deep of powder on the roads. They had had no rain in a year they said.

PSSG is on nice green grass, but that also means more moisture in the air too. For me it is only a 7-8 hour drive so a 1 day driver verse 2 full 11+ hour days going out west.

My other closer one I really enjoy is the Chiefland Star Party in November. It is about 11 hours for me and again has great amenities around the field.

So many choices but with the higher fuel prices I am likely to stay closer in the next few years with WSP and TSP as my only long trips.

Dean

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5792598 - 04/11/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

OkieTex is darker but that is a long drive. And it gets me no further south so the late summer southern objects are still a bit low. At least at Deerlick they are higher. Not as dark but in a dark blue zone.

They both have nice arrangements with showers and hooks up. Okie has some great meal plans where PSSG is more limted.

When I was at Okie 2 years ago the dust was extreme. TSP can be bad but Okie was like 2" deep of powder on the roads. They had had no rain in a year they said.

PSSG is on nice green grass, but that also means more moisture in the air too. For me it is only a 7-8 hour drive so a 1 day driver verse 2 full 11+ hour days going out west.

My other closer one I really enjoy is the Chiefland Star Party in November. It is about 11 hours for me and again has great amenities around the field.

So many choices but with the higher fuel prices I am likely to stay closer in the next few years with WSP and TSP as my only long trips.

Dean

Thanks, Dean. I've considered OkieTex, but agree that it's another very long drive. The PSSG is about 11 hours for me, a little too long for a one day's drive for me alone, but I still may consider it this fall.

See you in a few weeks!

Jim

Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
      #5813288 - 04/21/13 03:00 PM

Not as much chatter here about TSP as in the past several years. Maybe thats due to several Standard Bearers not able to attend this year, or maybe it's been sneaking up on us. But I'm looking forward to it if nothing else as a proof of life. Last year the April date made it too early for me. I had bypass surgery in January 2012 and April was a little too soon for such an undertaking. I anticipate problems with the altitude adjustment so we will take it in steps. We will stay in Balmorhea on Friday, Alpine on Saturday and have a short drive to the Prude Ranch on Sunday. I will set up on the Northeast corner of the upper field along Dave Moody and Bob Summerfield. I will just adjust my observing agenda to my endurance. I do hope we can do a Cloudy Nights get together.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Alvin Huey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/18/05

Loc: NorCal
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Unknownastron]
      #5813581 - 04/21/13 05:28 PM

Hey all,

Those of you who are interested in pursuing the TSP Advanced Observing list, you can download the list from here and my observing guide from here (scroll to bottom)

Tom Laskowski

Reged: 04/28/08

Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Alvin Huey]
      #5813891 - 04/21/13 07:45 PM

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew as I have printed many Megastar charts, and have a huge observing agenda for this year. I hope the weather cooperates so I can get it all accomplished.

I did volunteer for Power Crew so hopefully I will get to the Ranch a bit earlier than anticipated. Maybe I'll get in a few extra nights this year.

Alvin, your Observing Guide is excellent. I wasn't planning on doing this year's Advanced List but after printing off yours I have decided to go for it. Thanks a ton. Your guides are fantastic.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Tom Laskowski]
      #5813990 - 04/21/13 08:34 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it this year after all. I was looking forward to renewing acquaintances and meeting new CN'ers but alas, it's not to be.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Steph]
      #5814428 - 04/21/13 11:49 PM

Well, I'm a semi-newbie that's going to join and try as hard as I can to make up for the ones that can't make it this year.

I lived in Dallas (actually Richardson) for all the 90's and made it to TSP in 97 and 98 I believe (went to the one-time displacement from Prude Ranch to Alto Frio.

But, since moving to Boulder, Colorado in 2001, I haven't made it back... until this year!!! Got a new 'scope, The Beast (Celestron CPC-1100), and loading into the Tiguan for a road trip back to the Prude.

Very excited to spend a week under the stars in perfect weather!! :-)

Planning on returning to the Upper Field where I was 15 years ago.

See y'all there!

Jim from Boulder

Dr Benway
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/27/08

Loc: Abilene, TX
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: HeyJP]
      #5814688 - 04/22/13 06:51 AM

I just finished four intense days at NEAIC and NEAF and am looking forward to the week at TSP. I am still in Suffern, NY, and will be flying from Newark to DFW this afternoon. I was a speaker at NEAIC, an exhibitor with QHY and Astrofactors at NEAF, and will be a Red Cap at TSP. Staying busy! The Texas Imaging Symposium should be a lot of fun. Look forward to seeing everyone again. I will be set up with three imaging rigs in the lower field and will be running one of the Celestron demo rigs at least one night, too.

John

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Texas Star Party new [Re: Dr Benway]
      #5817383 - 04/23/13 12:46 PM

There's been a slight last minute change with my accommodations. Does anyone want/need to upgrade to a cabin? It's just going to be me now and there's a king sized bed and a set of bunk beds. I only need a bunk bed so if anyone's interested in sharing the cabin, please let me know ASAP.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11557

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics