Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
davebuechler
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/21/11

Loc: Red River Gorge Kentucky
Porta II mount needs help w damping time
      #5759263 - 03/26/13 10:04 PM

I have a Vixen Porta II mount and it makes a great G&G but am tired of the slow damping time and vibrations at higher magnifications when using my AT106. Have been shopping for tripod upgrade. Berlebach is pretty darn expensive and maybe overkill. Any alternative and cheaper suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: davebuechler]
      #5759327 - 03/26/13 10:35 PM

it has a 3/8" female thread? a god manfrotto 028 or 055 should be ok, gitzo are good also

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5759348 - 03/26/13 10:50 PM

Oberwerk sometimes has 'seconds" which are hard to tell from 'firsts.' I like mine and the price was very reasonable.

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #5759358 - 03/26/13 10:57 PM

The Porta II head attaches to the tripod with a single M10 bolt - same thread as some other Vixen tripods and also Celestron ASGT and CGEM, Meade LX75 (and others?), Orion/Skywatcher/Synta CG-5, CG-6 etc.

I'm using a Celestron ASGT tripod and on mine the Celestron center bolt only engaged the Porta II by about 3 threads. I had to modify the Porta II adapter (the black piece on the bottom of the head) to get more 7+ threads.

Can't compare to the original Vixen Porta tripod as I only purchased the head and already had the tripod from another project.

Others on CN have used the Hands On Optics wood legs and report good performance - but I have no personal experience with those.

Edited by Don Taylor (03/26/13 10:59 PM)

sewhite

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: On a spinning rock
Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5759379 - 03/26/13 11:09 PM

Dave

You may want to consider the modification I did to my Porta II in another thread Link

This cost only a few dollars and may reduce the vibration issue sufficiently. If not, you are only out a little time and money. I to was looking for a low $ solution and did not want to purchase another tripod. Someone has mentioned replacement wood legs from Hands on Optics but it required modifications to fit.
I sure others have found good tripods to recommend if you want that solution. I look forward to seeing what other people have done.

Stan

DavidNealMinnick
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

#5759394 - 03/26/13 11:25 PM

I have a Vixen GP2 which came with the HAL130 tripod. Recently, I saw this ad on their site, bought it, then proceeded to transfer the GP2 to the Report tripod, Porta to the HAL. I like it.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: sewhite]
      #5759397 - 03/26/13 11:26 PM

Quote:

The Porta II head attaches to the tripod with a single M10 bolt - same thread as some other Vixen tripods and also Celestron ASGT and CGEM, Meade LX75 (and others?), Orion/Skywatcher/Synta CG-5, CG-6 etc.

Just for FYI, the CGEM uses a 12mm center bolt.

Stan

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5759447 - 03/27/13 12:24 AM

Thank you. I stand corrected.

I had been told the CG-6 (atlas) was 10mm as well. Wonder if it too is 12mm.

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5759827 - 03/27/13 09:23 AM

thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I knew that you guys would have some ideas and solutions. I think I might try Stan's idea first and fill the legs with spray foam. If that doesn't work then I will try to find a Oberwerk tripod and upgrade,
Excellent ideas and thanks again

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#5760735 - 03/27/13 04:25 PM

Ok well I skipped the fill the legs with foam idea, although it sounds like a great idea and ordered the Oberwerk Tripod. Thanks for the suggestion Munchmeister. You are right at $129 for a factory second (plus $15 shipping) makes it a great value and if they can mount 28 lb binos plus a fork mount, it should be plenty of support/stability for the Porta II and my AT106.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5760983 - 03/27/13 06:17 PM

I put one of these triangular accessory tray on my AT Voyager tripod and it was a noticeable improvement. It says you have to flip the knob holder for the Porta. Not sure how that would affect it.

Eric

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5761133 - 03/27/13 07:41 PM

After owning the StarGuy for a while (Which has the Porta 2 mount head on the very sturdy Vixen Hal 130 tripod) my opinion is that most of the of the problems with vibrations and damping times has more to do with the mount head and not the tripod. When I mount my SLT mount head that came with my 102-GT on my HAL-130 my C6-N, 102 F/9.8 achro, and C6-sct are a lot more stable than when I use the Porta 2 mount head. One thing that helps is to take the mount off the tripod and take apart the bottom and tighten the azimuth bolt. In order to tighten the altitude bolt or bolts you would have to take off the nice looking decal which would be a chore and wouldn't look pretty afterwards. I can put a scope on the Porta mount and push up, down and sideways and notice a little slack in the altitude joint. So I guess my point is that getting a heavier duty tripod may help a little but it probably will not eliminate the vibrations especially when you use a longer tubed scope.

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: Locoman]
      #5761321 - 03/27/13 09:10 PM

Hi Locoman and thanks for your comments. I agree that the Porta II mount can develop slop and play in the gearbox. I have taken mine apart and removed all the slack in both Altitude and Latitude, works like a charm. (The blue label can be removed and replaced without significant damage) I guess i will find out in a few days if it is the mount or the tripod. I am thinking tripod but stay tuned and i will let you know.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5761403 - 03/27/13 09:58 PM

Quote:

Hi Locoman and thanks for your comments. I agree that the Porta II mount can develop slop and play in the gearbox. I have taken mine apart and removed all the slack in both Altitude and Latitude, works like a charm. (The blue label can be removed and replaced without significant damage) I guess i will find out in a few days if it is the mount or the tripod. I am thinking tripod but stay tuned and i will let you know.

How did you take off the decal and put it back on?

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: Locoman]
      #5761458 - 03/27/13 10:32 PM

I am not sure of the name of the tool. I can take a pic tomorrow and post it but it looks like a dental pick on steroids. Actually a small flathead screwdriver may work as well. Basically the decal is only attached around the very outside perimeter only by about 1/8". Once you pry one side of the decal up it is easy to remove.

terraclarke
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon ...
      #5766475 - 03/30/13 10:42 AM

Heavy wooden legs such as those at Hands On Optics and a heavy steel vixen accessory tray to hold the legs together as a unit. Securely tighten the leg bolts to the mount head. For added stability, if you have an extra counter weights lying about, set it in the middle of the tray.

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

#5766874 - 03/30/13 01:22 PM

Quote:

I am not sure of the name of the tool. I can take a pic tomorrow and post it but it looks like a dental pick on steroids. Actually a small flathead screwdriver may work as well. Basically the decal is only attached around the very outside perimeter only by about 1/8". Once you pry one side of the decal up it is easy to remove.

This indeed how it can be done. However, I took mine off a few days ago to lube and tighten the elevation gearbox and using the pic or a sharpened probe I just could not remove the decal without damage.

The decal is actually a thick vinyl sandwich on an aluminum plate. Total is about 2mm or .080" thick. On mine it was fit so well into the mount head that I could not get any tool under the edge to pry it up.

So mine got damaged. I've elected to just paint the space under the decal ( where the cap screws are that mount the elevation gearbox) a textured white to match the rest of the head. That way I can disassemble at any time without dealing with the decal. As delivered the space under the decal is bare metal.

If you are especially picky about keeping the decal, and yours is fitted tightly like mine there's a good chance you will damage it.

BTW most of the excess play in my Porta II was in the elevation gearbox. Taking apart, lubing, and reassembling did help mine quite a bit. Of course YMMV.

Edited by Don Taylor (03/30/13 01:25 PM)

Edward Swaim

Reged: 10/29/10

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5766909 - 03/30/13 01:54 PM

The azimuth would benefit from a Teflon or milk jug washer around the outer edge of the cast aluminum. It is not meant to be a bearing surface, but putting some of the weight on it would help.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: Edward Swaim]
      #5767105 - 03/30/13 04:13 PM

My Porta is on a Hal130 and is very stable, given its limitations. The tray helps too. Terra's suggestions for the stock tripod are spot on.

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: bremms]
      #5767126 - 03/30/13 04:30 PM

Well I tried the Oberwerk Tripod and the mount just doesn't fit.

Munchmiester, how did yours mount to the Oberwerk Tripod? Was there any modification done? I thought it would just bolt on but no.....never that simple

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#5795255 - 04/12/13 07:22 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Well it took me a minute to get the parts to mount the Porta II to the Oberwerk tripod....but well worth the wait!!!! Made a HUGE difference in the damping time and is now super steady at high magnifications, even on my deck!!! Can't wait to put it in the grass.

A BIG Kudo's to Manny Miles for custom making the parts to fit the mount to the tripod. Not only is it a very professional look but it saved me many$ compared to buying parts from Vixen & Oberwerk. Plus the EP tray is VERY nice! Thank you again Manny!!!!

A few pics for those interested..

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#5795257 - 04/12/13 07:23 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

another

Edited by davebuechler (04/12/13 07:27 PM)

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#5795265 - 04/12/13 07:27 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

One more from the bottom

davebuechler
professor emeritus

#5795277 - 04/12/13 07:36 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Ok one more just for fun

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
      #5795625 - 04/12/13 11:29 PM

Dave,

That looks great. Good to hear of the improvement and thanks for the wonderful pictures.

I notice a lot of trees...how is your viewing?
Best, Linda B.

Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
      #5796097 - 04/13/13 08:01 AM

Looking good there Dave!
What breed of dog is that?
m2

davebuechler
professor emeritus

Re: Porta II mount needs help w damping time new [Re: Manny Myles]
      #5796175 - 04/13/13 09:06 AM

Hi Linda,

Yep, Lots of trees at my house. I have only about 20x30 degrees at zenith and another 10x 20 due north, but most of my viewing is not from my home.

Thanks Manny. All my dogs are mutts. This one's mother was Brindle Boston Terrier and we dont know the dad, just he had a black tail. Thanks again for the help getting the mount together.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1199

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics