Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
galaxyman
Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

Reged: 04/04/05

Loc: Limerick, Pa
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: De Lorme]
      #5758481 - 03/26/13 03:39 PM

First Ed this big 8" refractor does go deeper than a 8" SCT, owned a good one (8" SCT) as well as a two very good 8" newts of f/4.5 and f/5, and the refractor most definitely goes deeper (14 to 15 mag galaxies for instance). Check my DSO write-ups here in CN (including the review) or Galaxy Log for more.

De Lorme I share the views with any of my scopes, as does all in the CAS. We are DSO fanatics.

Not sure about getting a good 8" lens for the price you wish. Any well made lens of quality glass, coatings, and lens cell will cost more.

I do realize you want a large refractor, though I do here agree with Ed that I would not pass on a good 11" SCT, particularly if a GOOD 8" refractor of your choice cannot be had.

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.com/user/GalaxyLog4565?feature=mhee
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paul C-I

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: galaxyman]
      #5758538 - 03/26/13 04:04 PM

I will chip in at this stage and mention that I have one of Istar's 8" F12 R35 slim lens being made for me at this time. This was for a self build but may go for Ale's TCR arrangement. Had a Vixen ED 6" and currently Intes MN86 & 78 so am looking forward to comparing the views that the different optical systems will throw up.
(hoping the G11 will suffice for visual on the Istar!)
Paul

De Lorme
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/30/08

Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: Paul C-I]
      #5758812 - 03/26/13 06:28 PM

Hi Gord, Yes I saw that to but the with the tube it goes over the the weight Limit. I guess I could buy the scope and put it in another tube? I looked on Istar site and there was no 8" F/6 lens to be found.
Karl,Istar sales their 8"f8.8 achro. for around $1,700.
I would think they could make a 8"f/6 for the same amount.
I'm convinced that I will be able to bring in the GC with a
8"F6. The planets will be the trade off. Color can be handled,so no big deal. But I have to wait and see what Alex says. One thing for sure the DOB idea is dead.
If I go to the C14" I would have to just start over with a
CGEM-DX. Which does not fit at all into my money tree.

Clear Skies, De Lorme

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: Paul C-I]
      #5759074 - 03/26/13 08:21 PM

Quote:

I will chip in at this stage and mention that I have one of Istar's 8" F12 R35 slim lens being made for me at this time. This was for a self build but may go for Ale's TCR arrangement. Had a Vixen ED 6" and currently Intes MN86 & 78 so am looking forward to comparing the views that the different optical systems will throw up.
(hoping the G11 will suffice for visual on the Istar!)
Paul

I think you'll find that 8" f/12 greatly outmatches the G11. I've seen a 6" f/12 on one, and it's not very steady. I consider my 6" f/9 the limit for that mount. You will find that the slightest breeze induces major wobbles.

timps
sage

Reged: 02/24/13

Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5759113 - 03/26/13 08:33 PM

I have to admit that now, after posting this thread and doing some soul searching, I believe that the best "allround" telescope (if there is such a thing), would be a SCT and for me that would be a 12".
They are good for deep space, good for planetary and one can still get decent images with them.
SCT's are pobably the best value when one considers: ease of use, versatility and aperture.
They have no purple haze like acros and the cost difference to an apo of half the aperture......well we all know that.
For the price of a Tak TOA130 (tube only & ready to go) one can have the latest 12" Meade + a G11 or even the new EQ8 mount! Or stick with the fork mount and use the extra $$ for imaging equipment. More will be seen with a 12" SCT than with any 130mm apo or achro.

Gord
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: timps]
      #5759183 - 03/26/13 09:05 PM

timps,

A good decision I think. The other thing to consider is that you don't *have* to limit yourself to just one telescope. You also don't have to stay married to it forever. Compliment the CAT with a refractor. An ES127 triplet will give you a lot of what a TOA130 can do and is very affordable. Or go a little smaller and piggy-back it on the cat. Lots of options.

Clear skies!

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: Gord]
      #5759221 - 03/26/13 09:27 PM

good call gord. A smaller scope for use when the big gun is cooling would be a perfect complement.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Achro Vs Apo [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5759273 - 03/26/13 10:07 PM

Quote:

This again is just opinion but with a $1700 price tag on an achro, I would put that money on a TAK fs102 instead. A nice flourite doublet any day over purple haze running through my brain.

s.

I think Jimi said: " all in my brain". Jus sayin;)

Pete

beanerds
sage

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Darwin Australia
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5759582 - 03/27/13 04:59 AM

Good choice Timps , glad we could help .
The idea here to get an ES 127mm triplet to compliment your up and comming 12 inch Meade is a very good one .
I use my SKY90 or Istar 127mm f8 achro in the same roll while I am waiting for my M210 to cool .
Good luck mate .
Brian.

HCR32
sage

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: Australia
Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: timps]
      #5759605 - 03/27/13 05:50 AM

You are about to take your first step on a long journey of scope ownerships, but the M12 is a good choice. My Meade RCX400 was with me for four years and believed it was a turn around point for optics produced by Meade. If they are still manufacturing the same type of quality then you will be pretty happy with it. I still remember a lot of the views in it even though I've look through some scopes that people would consider better. That says a lot and I'm a refractor fan. I hope you get the same satisfaction as I did with my Meade.

timps
sage

Reged: 02/24/13

Re: Achro Vs Apo new [Re: HCR32]
      #5759680 - 03/27/13 07:46 AM

Thanks all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
34 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4915

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics