Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
KJL

Reged: 06/07/12

Loc: Boston, MA
Additional dovetail plate for EdgeHD 8"? new
      #5758669 - 03/26/13 05:05 PM

Hi,

I'm so so sorry if this has been answered before, but I want to make doubly-sure before I commit to an EdgeHD OTA (probably 8"). Is it possible to install another dovetail plate in addition to the existing one?

For example, are there mounting screws for blocks/plate on the other side of the existing CGEM/Vixen plate (depending on which OTA you buy, obviously)?

I want to avoid having to resort to tube rings to mount two dovetail plates, which is what I have to do with my current C6 OTA.

- KJ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Additional dovetail plate for EdgeHD 8"? new [Re: KJL]
      #5758751 - 03/26/13 05:47 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

KJ,

The 8" Edge has mounting holes on the top and the bottom, so you can mount another dovetail (such as an ADM) on the top if you wish.

This is a picture of my old one. I used an ADM mini rail on top, but you can also mount a Vixen or Losmandy. ADM dovetails come with the radius blocks and proper bolts, so it's an easy job.

Cheers,

Ron

Edited by RAKing (03/26/13 05:52 PM)

KJL

Re: Additional dovetail plate for EdgeHD 8"? new [Re: RAKing]
      #5758805 - 03/26/13 06:23 PM

Quote:

The 8" Edge has mounting holes on the top and the bottom, so you can mount another dovetail (such as an ADM) on the top if you wish.

This is a picture of my old one. I used an ADM mini rail on top, but you can also mount a Vixen or Losmandy. ADM dovetails come with the radius blocks and proper bolts, so it's an easy job.

OMG I have long admired that shot from another thread, yet it didn't dawn on me that your handle was attached to just such a second dovetail plate.

I think what I'm going to do is to reverse your setup, i.e. put the existing CGEM/Vixen plate "on top" and the ADM mini rail "on the bottom". Do you think that will work, i.e. are the screw holes identical between the two positions?

Lastly, out of curiosity where did you get that lovely metal handle you attached to the (presumably two) MDS dovetail adapters?

Massive help, thanks again.

- KJ

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
      #5758838 - 03/26/13 06:42 PM

I have a C11 (new to me) with two rails. The OTA is on a GEM and the finder and Telrad can both be mounted on the rail. Why this arrangement? I can reach balance in all three dimensions. With the finder on the side I am not balanced when I point the OTA vertically due to the weight of the finder hanging off to one side. But by placing it on the rail I can easily balance. If I want to use the Telrad, I simply slip the finder off and place the Telrad at an appropriate position to maintain balance. The less expensive Celestron orange rail works fine for this purpose.

Ed

richardlowney

Reged: 12/04/09

Loc: Wisconsin
      #5758959 - 03/26/13 07:38 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Heres a pic of my 8" Edge with a Vixen rail on top.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Additional dovetail plate for EdgeHD 8"? [Re: KJL]
      #5759303 - 03/26/13 10:20 PM

Quote:

I want to avoid having to resort to tube rings to mount two dovetail plates, which is what I have to do with my current C6 OTA.

The C6 is a bit odd in that there are no screw holes on the corrector end of the scope for a second dovetail bar. With the C8 and above there are extra screw holes.

Right now I have an ADM MDS dovetail bar mounted on top of my C8HD. I went with the MDS size because I already had tube rings of that size for mounting my AT66ED refractor.

I have two separate dovetail bars for mounting the scope to the mount head itself. One is a CGEM style and the other is a Vixen style. There are 4 screws to remove and install when doing a dovetail changeover. Not a big deal, but I have to plan ahead depending on which mount I want to use.

Patrick

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5759723 - 03/27/13 08:17 AM

Quote:

OMG I have long admired that shot from another thread, yet it didn't dawn on me that your handle was attached to just such a second dovetail plate.

I think what I'm going to do is to reverse your setup, i.e. put the existing CGEM/Vixen plate "on top" and the ADM mini rail "on the bottom". Do you think that will work, i.e. are the screw holes identical between the two positions?

Lastly, out of curiosity where did you get that lovely metal handle you attached to the (presumably two) MDS dovetail adapters?

Massive help, thanks again.

- KJ

Thanks, I'm flattered! I have always mounted a Mini Rail on top of my SCTs so I could slide a handle onto them. I have arthritis and a bad back and I wanted the extra security for mounting the OTA. The handles at the back end are okay, but don't help me with the mounting.

To answer your questions - IIRC, the holes are identical so you can move the dovetail okay. A lot of people don't like the extruded aluminum dovetail that Celestron provides and swap it out for a Vixen or Losmandy. If you get your dovetail from ADM or Losmandy, it should come with the necessary radius blocks.

My handle is from Mouser Electronics. It's nothing more than a simple electronic rack handle and it's bolted to two ADM mounting blocks. You could easily do the same with Vixen or Losmandy blocks and the handle should be easy to acquire.

After I mount the scope, it's easy to slide the handle off and mount a camera or small refractor.

Take care,

Ron

KJL

Re: Additional dovetail plate for EdgeHD 8"? new [Re: RAKing]
      #5760211 - 03/27/13 01:00 PM

Thanks all so much for your kind help! You have answered all my concerns and given me even more ideas. I'll let you know how I get on.

By way of background: I intend to use whichever EdgeHD OTA I purchase with the new Nova Hitch alt-az mount. The Nova Hitch's side-mounting allows me to entertain moving a finder scope to the second dovetail plate along the centerline of the scope, rather than at its usual location @ 10 o'clock. Not only does this position it better -- no more sitting up to look down through an elevated RACI -- but it reduces the necessary vertical compensation for the mount, allowing for more clearance for the bulky SCT tube at horizon or zenith.

Thanks again, everybody!

- KJ

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 592

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics