Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Final Saturn RGB, R&G, Animation & spokes!?! new [Re: slepage]
      #5757469 - 03/26/13 03:25 AM

Thanks fellas!

Quote:

Just a small quick question. I noticed that you used your C14 with a fl length of 5400mm. How do you obtain that with the c14?

Thank you,

Steve

Steve - I made a sliding unit that allows me to bring the camera's sensor right up close to the back of the TeleVue 2X barlow's lens element (ie, unscrewed from the black body section that has the brass compression band clamp and pinch-screw) or slide it out to create additional distance from camera sensor to barlow element and thus increase image scale over a wide variety of magnifications.

This morning we got to test it out in earnest because of the fine seeing and went up to almost 6000mm - I was particularly pleased because I made this unit so that it was virtually self-centring, and although we didn't go to the extent of rechecking collimation after doing this adjusting the onscreen image (now larger) clearly showed that all the sharpness and detail on Saturn was still very evident, in fact more so because the image was larger & easier to examine.....proving pretty conclusively that collimation hadn't suffered after adjusting the extension tube length!

If you wish I'll post a pik showing the setup.....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
slepage
sage

Reged: 01/02/10

Loc: San Diego
Re: Final Saturn RGB, R&G, Animation & spokes!?! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5757782 - 03/26/13 09:45 AM

Yes, please post a picture of it. I have been really struggling with my c14, because for most nights a 2x balow is just too much focal lenght , but shooting prime does not give me the image scale that I am looking for.

If the camera is closer to the balow lens elements does that reduce the power of the balow or is it just the opposite?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Sunspot
Postmaster

Reged: 03/15/05

Loc: Surprise, AZ
      #5758006 - 03/26/13 11:34 AM

Another suggestion...the GSO barlow lens is screwed to the barrel using standard filter threads. I unscrewed the lens piece from the barrel and screwed it to the camera nose piece and it dropped the barlow to less than 2x. Also if you are using the ASI camera, the inner thread on the camera is also filter thread and you can screw the GSO lens right next to the sensor which gives about 1.4x.

The barlow costs about $33 and is pretty good. I have a setup similar to Darryl with the Televue 2x barlow and while I prefer that, the GSO is pretty good too.

Paul

sfugardi
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/06

Loc: CT
      #5758105 - 03/26/13 12:26 PM

Mo, gorgeous image set! The animation shows a lot of interesting movement. Your resolution is crazy good. I'm looking at 3/5 seeing tonight so I plan to get out early with a clean hard drive. Your recent R channel frame at 45% histogram has me thinking of trying to "match" it. I normally go for 60% histo but have to back off on the frame rate. So with any luck, I'll run an avi matrix including the IR685 filter to find the sweet spot. Calsky has Saturn peaking at a respectable 36deg at 3:11am. Thanks for posting your excellent work. Now I just need to drag myself out of bed early...

Regards,
Steve

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Final Saturn RGB, R&G, Animation & spokes!?! new [Re: sfugardi]
      #5759325 - 03/26/13 10:34 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Thanks Steve - best of luck tonight and 45-50% histograms are fine for Saturn!

Steve (other one, that is ) I'll post a pik or 2 of my setup in another thread tonight or tomorrow with my setup - Paul's reply above and my (roughie!) version of the TeleVue graph gives you an idea of image scale variations...look at the dark blue line solely to gauge an approximate response of said barlow!

slepage
sage

Reged: 01/02/10

Loc: San Diego
Re: Final Saturn RGB, R&G, Animation & spokes!?! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5759463 - 03/27/13 12:41 AM

Thank you and thank you Paul for your help. I think that this will ease the pain of trying to find a night that can support a C14 and a 2x Barlow. In other words trying to image at 3910mm x 2 or at 7820mm.

Steve

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Final Saturn RGB, R&G, Animation & spokes!?! [Re: slepage]
      #5759472 - 03/27/13 12:56 AM

No problems - and the "0" along the X-axis in the graph above is the actual top edge of the barlow as it comes to you - ie, the topmost edge of the black body you see of these barlows standing up on the TeleVue site..!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1218

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics