Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Has anyone taken the "green" approach? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5735727 - 03/16/13 09:14 AM

I've read somewhere that it's probably better to leave the lights off at night inside a business. The thinking is that if there is a thief inside he's most likely to be using a flashlight or turning the lights on which makes him more visible from outside.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Has anyone taken the "green" approach? new [Re: richard7]
      #5735841 - 03/16/13 10:06 AM

Our local municipalities and schools don't seem to care about cutting costs on lighting. They just keep on line iteming lighting costs in every budget. The school even wanted to install heating coils under the sidewalk so that the grounds crew wouldn't have to shovel.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #5737026 - 03/16/13 07:44 PM

Quote:

I've read somewhere that it's probably better to leave the lights off at night inside a business. The thinking is that if there is a thief inside he's most likely to be using a flashlight or turning the lights on which makes him more visible from outside.

True. What attracts more attention to a passerby: someone with a flashlight in a dark building or someone walking around in a lit building?

obin

John Fitzgerald
In Focus

Reged: 01/04/04

Loc: AR
Re: Has anyone taken the "green" approach? new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5749195 - 03/22/13 08:28 AM

The city here has passed some quite restrictive lighting ordinances, but does not do anything to enforce them. Totally toothless laws. Police say it is code enforcement's job, (it is code,not law) and code enforcement has no one working past 5 pm or before 8 am. They have to witness the violation, will not take the word of a citizen. There is a light in violation shining from a nearby business right on the back of my city house.

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Has anyone taken the "green" approach? new [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #5749324 - 03/22/13 09:51 AM

Quote:

The city here has passed some quite restrictive lighting ordinances, but does not do anything to enforce them. Totally toothless laws. Police say it is code enforcement's job, (it is code,not law) and code enforcement has no one working past 5 pm or before 8 am. They have to witness the violation, will not take the word of a citizen. There is a light in violation shining from a nearby business right on the back of my city house.

Will they accept pictures or video?

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Has anyone taken the "green" approach? new [Re: Dark Sky Scott]
      #5749947 - 03/22/13 03:24 PM

Quote:

In one case it was a college that was lighting their roof. I politely pointed out that the lights did nothing for them at all except waste energy and dollars, all while unnecessarily brightening the night sky. I was *very* happy when they decided to permanently turn them off.

That's pretty cool. My neighbor put Ina whole bunch of side facing lights like a baseball park.. Facing me.. I can tell they are not CFL's or led. It is true that many people still don't know how much energy and cost lighting is to their bill. I'm kind of big on all that, solar panels, etc.. Just did my taxes and the accountant had me check 2012 electric bills for the home office deduction: mine was $194 for the whole year

Anyhow I've yet to talk with this neighbor.. He just put the lights up. I dont know him well. he doesnt seem that friendly and im not that good with people. They're not the standard kind do the light shades won't work.. I just have a good light shade setup.

But still.. Those stories inspire me.. I might write some letters!

John Fitzgerald
In Focus

Reged: 01/04/04

Loc: AR
      #5754017 - 03/24/13 01:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will they accept pictures or video?

Probably not. It's a don't care situation. If you want anything done around here, you have to know the right people.

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Has anyone taken the "green" approach? [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #5759762 - 03/27/13 08:44 AM

If you create enough of a ruckus, politicians notice. Try talking to the various elected officials. Eventually you may find someone sympathetic to what you're proposing. Take pictures. Show them to them. Point out how it shines right in your house. Give them the info about light at night being linked to cancer, and sleeping disorders. Make a copy of the code, and highlight the section where it is mentioned.

If that doesn't work, go to the local newspaper (I know - not as many of them around as there used to be). If they won't do a story, write a letter to the editor. Or put up flyers in local businesses that have bulletin boards. Create a stir. Write it so that other people notice light trespass on THEIR property. Call on them to join you.

Politicians like it when everything is calm and orderly. If you create a stir, they will GET ON IT; it's the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing. Of course, you have to STAY on top of them, because once things die down, so does their inertia. But it just may light a fire under them to get something done.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2427

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics