Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
peregrineflier
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/14/08

Loc: Lost wages, Nevada (las Vegas...
How to mount a 8in SCT to a tripod?
      #5761591 - 03/28/13 12:17 AM

Hi, I have an 8in meade sct ota I would like to attach to a heavy duty tripod I have. Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
Re: How to mount a 8in SCT to a tripod? new [Re: peregrineflier]
      #5761606 - 03/28/13 12:38 AM

We need some more information. Does you Meade scope have a fork mount and wedge? Or is it only a tube?

Next, tells us more about your tripod. Pics of both would help.

LGM

peregrineflier
professor emeritus

Re: How to mount a 8in SCT to a tripod? new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5761611 - 03/28/13 12:46 AM

I will try to get some pics, but it is just an OTA and my tripod has a big head and a 1/4 20 thread, but it will handle the tube. I think I have a dove tail bar sitting around for it, wondering if there is a dove tail mount that will go on a tripod?

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #5762030 - 03/28/13 09:43 AM

http://www.optcorp.com/opt-dovetail-mount-adapter.html

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ds13.htm

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #5762116 - 03/28/13 10:25 AM

Quote:

I will try to get some pics, but it is just an OTA and my tripod has a big head and a 1/4 20 thread, but it will handle the tube. I think I have a dove tail bar sitting around for it, wondering if there is a dove tail mount that will go on a tripod?

IMNSHO, putting an 8" SCT on a photographic tripod is less than ideal. Think about it, you have all of that mass being held by a single bolt, you cannot balance the OTA, and when you start adding a diagonal, an eyepiece, a finder scope to the mix, you are courting disaster. What's gonna happen when you put the OTA in an attitude where the mass moment arm coinsides with the "Lefty-Loosey" direction?

Do your self a favor and buy a proper mount. Then you have two options: A full length dovetail bar, or a dove tail/ring arrangement.

peregrineflier
professor emeritus

Re: How to mount a 8in SCT to a tripod? new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5765938 - 03/29/13 11:34 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I should of said my Tripod can handle it, and I just want to use it as a spotting scope. : )

Quote:

Quote:

IMNSHO, putting an 8" SCT on a photographic tripod is less than ideal. Think about it, you have all of that mass being held by a single bolt, you cannot balance the OTA, and when you start adding a diagonal, an eyepiece, a finder scope to the mix, you are courting disaster. What's gonna happen when you put the OTA in an attitude where the mass moment arm coinsides with the "Lefty-Loosey" direction?

Do your self a favor and buy a proper mount. Then you have two options: A full length dovetail bar, or a dove tail/ring arrangement.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5765943 - 03/29/13 11:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. I guess I should of said my Tripod can handle it, and I just want to use it as a spotting scope. : )

Even as a spotting scope, an 8: SCT held by one bolt is a potential disaster. If you add a dovetail bar to the OTA and pick up a used altaz mount, you will be better off.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5766322 - 03/30/13 09:03 AM

Quote:

Hi, I have an 8in meade sct ota I would like to attach to a heavy duty tripod I have. Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks

You may think your tripod can handle the C8, but it won't. Not unless it is in the class of a studio tripod for a 35mm Panavision camera.

Generally, there is no worse way to mount a scope than on a camera tripod, and one sufficient for the C8 will cost more than an alt-azimuth mount designed for telescopes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 480

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics