Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11?
      #5763133 - 03/28/13 08:34 PM

I'm looking at getting the Astro-Physics ADASCTLC 2" visual back for my C11 Edge, but I'm a little confused about how this is going to work.

Astro-Physics says on their site:
"Note: Celestron Edge HD scopes have a restricted rear cell that may not allow accessories with a long nosepiece to fully seat in this adapter (the AP Maxbright diagonal will not seat). It is recommended to choose the ADASCTLC27 and ADA2003 (or ADA20132) as an alternative when using the Edge HD scopes."

Now, I haven't heard anyone mention that this is a problem for them using this visual back, and have seen it recommended frequently, so is this really the case or is it OK to just get this thing and be done with it?

I'm considering the TeleVue Everbright, AP Maxbright or Williams Optical CF dielectric diagonals for use in this scope. I just need to know if I need to follow AP's advice or if you find folks here on CN have made this work with this visual back.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: WesC]
      #5763393 - 03/28/13 11:17 PM

I am using one just fine. I have a WO diagonal and two different cameras, adapters, extensions, it all works just fine. I never understood AP other than their diagonal is non- standard.

Go for it.

Turk

Whaleboy

Reged: 06/20/12

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: turk123]
      #5763556 - 03/29/13 02:20 AM

I figured why risk it, although I'm sure it works with most accessories, I went ahead and did as AP suggests and got the ADASCLTC27 plus ADA2003, and that combo works fine, although it likely takes up a bit more back focus, at least so far it works with everything I need.

-David

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: Whaleboy]
      #5773663 - 04/02/13 06:41 PM

So one for and one against. Hehe, not really clearing this up for me. But thanks!

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: WesC]
      #5773693 - 04/02/13 06:58 PM

Wes

I simply use the ADASCTLC back for my C9.25 edge with a 2" GSO quartz diagonal and never had an issue with the nosepiece hitting the corrector. Not sure about the C11 edge but I'm sure you can always find a shorter 2" nosepiece anyway for whatever diagonal you decide to purchase.

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: ewave]
      #5773699 - 04/02/13 07:01 PM

also forgot to mention an important aspect, I also have a refractor style nosepiece with the diagonal

turk123
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: N.E. Ohio
Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: ewave]
      #5774861 - 04/03/13 08:31 AM

Their is no danger in hitting the rear lens in a 1100 edge scope as it is 130mm away from the back inside the baffle. What Astro Physics is talking about is the baffle is under 2". Using this adapter if your focuser has a nosepiece longer than 31mm, it will hit the smaller opening baffle. It will not allow the device to pass into the main baffle. If you are just wanting a good grip on the device, the 31mm is plenty especially with the three thumbscrews and compression ring on the ASASCTLC. The back focus on an 1100 is somewhere around 149mm, quite a ways back. It has not impacted any of my equipment including reducers, filter wheel, cameras, diagonals. In fact, most of the time I'm adding extensions to get there.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: turk123]
      #5775390 - 04/03/13 11:49 AM

Just buy ADASCTLC. I have used this visual back for three years with no problems whatsoever. None of my diagonals or binoviewers had any issue with this part.

It is a beauty.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Re: AP 2" ADASCTLC visual back for Edge 11? new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5775543 - 04/03/13 01:15 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your comments.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 530

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics