Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1
rgconner

Reged: 03/17/13

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Worst sky conditions.. Evah! new
      #5759458 - 03/27/13 12:32 AM

So I am down in San Diego "vacationing" with the M-I-L... Who lives in one of the worst sky polluted areas I have tried to observe in.

But, rather than watch Jepordy, I grab the trusty SkyMaster 20x80s and my coat and sit out on the balcony. I have just recently started observing after a 15 year break, I need to sharpen my star hopping skills.

Directly across the balcony, just under snd to the left of Orion is the freeway and it's lights, the airport, and then ships in the harbor. Oh and a creeping marine layer.

I checked in on Jupiter, only one moon visible. Ah well.

Moved on to the Haydes cluster nearby, I can see about 10 stars. Not as bad as I thought and I located it quickly.

On to the Seven sisters, who are in fine form with a small smattering of stars behind them. The haze has not reached this far and it is comparatively dark.

Next, over to the light polluted Orion nebula. I can see the stars of the sword and the faint blur of the nebula, and that is it. None of the trapezium stars are distinct.

Sirius has a cluster nearby who's name escapes me. Too low and too hazy to make more than three stars clearly and a faint dusting of stars. Seeing is at Mag 3 at best in this part of the sky.

The moon is just a blob behind the growing marine layer, so my time is short.

I decide to try for the Beehive, which is directly overhead. Ugh, I have no way to use the tripod, I am just going to have to heft the binocs and brace against a pillar.
. Castor and Pollox are ghosts, but I step my way over anyway. A scant half dozen stars are visible, and despite the back breaking position I hold it for as long as I can... Stars start resolving as my eyes adjust and now more than a dozen are distict and many more are little specks of dust. Keep holding...

A brief moment of better conditions occurs and now several dozen are visible with a broader scattering of dust.

Not bad! I put the caps on and head inside.
Five DSO's from memory in 4 magnitude skies... I am good with that!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Worst sky conditions.. Evah! new [Re: rgconner]
      #5759609 - 03/27/13 05:56 AM

Quote:

Five DSO's from memory in 4 magnitude skies... I am good with that!

You're lucky - been the worst winter [and freezing temps still continuing] in UK for decades - haven't see a cloudfree sky day or night for 10days and then only a matter of minutes and a handfull of clearish nights since December

The Planetman
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Western KY
Re: Worst sky conditions.. Evah! new [Re: rgconner]
      #5760585 - 03/27/13 03:14 PM

Quote:

...I checked in on Jupiter, only one moon visible. Ah well.

For a time last night, only one moon was visible... a rare event. Glad you got to see it! We've been cloudy for what seems months here on the east side of the US.

rgconner

Reged: 03/17/13

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Re: Worst sky conditions.. Evah! new [Re: The Planetman]
      #5761070 - 03/27/13 07:09 PM

Heh... I see something so rare (I found the post describing it) and I thought it was just light pollution!

Pearls before swine.

Astro One

Reged: 02/20/13

Loc: San Bernardino County, CA.
Re: Worst sky conditions.. Evah! [Re: rgconner]
      #5763146 - 03/28/13 08:44 PM

You did well!

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 486

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics