Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
good options a size up from Nexus 7?
      #5763176 - 03/28/13 08:56 PM

I'm looking into a compact tablet that is smaller than the standard 10" size. The front runners have been the Nexus 7 and iPad mini. I like Android and the Nexus 7 looks nice but, after playing with it, I'd like something with a display that is just a weeeeee bit bigger. Something in the 7.5-8" would be great.
The Samsung Tab 7.7 is there but it is awfully expensive.
Anyone have suggestions? What do folks like?

thx,
Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: NHRob]
      #5763203 - 03/28/13 09:17 PM

Quote:

I'm looking into a compact tablet that is smaller than the standard 10" size. The front runners have been the Nexus 7 and iPad mini. I like Android and the Nexus 7 looks nice but, after playing with it, I'd like something with a display that is just a weeeeee bit bigger. Something in the 7.5-8" would be great.
The Samsung Tab 7.7 is there but it is awfully expensive.
Anyone have suggestions? What do folks like?

thx,
Rob

Rob:

I have had a Vizio 8 inch tablet for more than a year. It's not the fastest tablet but it's handles Sky Safari quite well, has a GPS, compass and all the sensors. But most of the time I use my Android smartphone because the 8 inch Tablet is just too big to fit in my pocket, the phone is always with me, I don't have to get up from the chair or down a ladder, it's there. I don't have to worry about it dewing up.

So, I recently purchased a generic 7 inch tablet, it's enough smaller that it will fit in a wide coat pocket and easily fit in my hand. I have only tried a couple of times from my backyard but so far, it's looking promising.

Just some thoughts.

Jon

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5763283 - 03/28/13 10:07 PM

Samsung makes an 8.9 model Galaxy Tab, as well as the Motorola Xyboard 8.9... There are several that get posted hit and miss on some of the one day deal sites.

Edited by Sean Wood (03/28/13 10:09 PM)

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5763494 - 03/29/13 01:00 AM

I'm very happy with my iPad Mini, although I regret not getting > 16 gig memory. It slips into the pocket of my observ. vest, isn't too heavy to hold in one hand at the EP, has good dimmable screen. Also, as I found out yesterday, it can take a lickin'. I was holding it under my arm and it slipped out, landing on a corner on tile in about a 4' fall. Scuffed the aluminum but no apparent harm.

NHRob
Post Laureate

Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: Spaced]
      #5764884 - 03/29/13 02:33 PM

Well, slight change in plans. I had freed up some money and was thinking of a tablet but, my wife thinks I should spend a bit more and get myself a nice refractor instead! She says I should borrow her iPad instead of buying a tablet.
Hmmm .... $2K+ vs. $300 ..... who am I to argue?

I guess I'll forgo the tablet for now and get back to finding myself a nice apo, probably 90-100mm class.
In the meantime I'll keep checking this forum out to keep up to date.

Cheers!

Edited by NHRob (03/29/13 02:35 PM)

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: NHRob]
      #5766229 - 03/30/13 07:16 AM

<< my wife thinks I should spend a bit more >>

Does she have a single sister who might think like your wife? If so, please send me a private message. Thank you

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5798570 - 04/14/13 03:10 PM

Ran across the Motorola Xyboard 8.2 accessory combo for $240 in my parousings on the interwebs. Thought I'd share if anyone else was looking for something similar to fit their needs. Figured it might be a good for astro use because it's spill/water resistant, it has a coating on the inner electronics. PLUS it comes with a gel case and a bluetooth keyboard to sweeten the deal. It won't be around forever. Though Woot is usually a daily deal site, these side deals go on till sold out.

EDIT:... this item will expire on 4/16/13

Edited by Sean Wood (04/15/13 10:22 AM)

NHRob
Post Laureate

Re: good options a size up from Nexus 7? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5802853 - 04/16/13 02:25 PM

Well, I ended up getting a Nexus 7 w/32G storage. It is a neat little thing and I am having a lot of fun!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 732

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics