Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
ROBERT FREE
sage

Reged: 03/20/11

Loc: SARASOTA,FL
Mercury update and Sketch new
      #5747498 - 03/21/13 12:27 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

though faint at 0.8 mercury will get brighter each day as its phase illumination increases an disk shrinks from crescent to gibbous. very nice site at 200x-400x pentax 10mm gave the sharpest image,the televue zoom was close though. in an 8" sct 40 mm eyepiece merc looks like a very small faint sliver maybe 1/4 " so one must relax the eye an of course be within 1/2 of degree polar aligned an have a clock drive running. also a # 21 orange filter makes it much easier.comment a sketch is rarely the actual size of what it looks like in the telescope so the size shown is about 1/2 or a little less in actuality but most know that anywaY.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (03/21/13 07:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Mercury update and Sketch new [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #5748032 - 03/21/13 05:00 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Pretty decent observation, although the phase shown might be drawn a little on the narrow side. Here below is what I saw with my NexStar 9.25 inch SCT a few years ago (as an aside, in your signature, that is most of the last line of a poem by Sarah Williams (not Tycho Brahe, as that is in the first line). The poem is called "The Old Astronomer to His Pupil"). Clear skies to you.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercury update and Sketch new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5748305 - 03/21/13 07:01 PM

im not sure what you saying,but ive seen the 1/2 phase that your showing many times an it will be like that soon.but its a sketch an NOT the actual size. in fact the baa says to use a 2 inch circle but i prefer close to original an it is about 1/2 my size in my actual telescope, an maybe its a tad fatter but not that much, as far as what your comment on tycho brahe comment ,i read that many many years ago that he said that but you could be right about a poem.either way whoever quoted it ,i liked it. if you also look at my comment i said in an 8" its about 1/4" in a 40 mm eyepiece. mercury is also much more of a crescent today an 9.2 sec of arc.in your picture its almost in 1/2 an much smaller.i corrected your tycho brahe comment an i hope your happy with that. btw your picture mercury is 6.9" its now 9.2 as of 3-21-2013 as per my sketch

Edited by ROBERT FREE (03/21/13 07:36 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5748313 - 03/21/13 07:07 PM

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." What does it mean?

The Quote comes from here:

The Old Astronomer to His Pupil
Tycho Brahe

Reach me down my Tycho Brahe, I would know him when we meet,
When I share my later science, sitting humbly at his feet;
He may know the law of all things, yet be ignorant of how
We are working to completion, working on from then to now.

Pray remember that I leave you all my theory complete,
Lacking only certain data for your adding, as is meet,
And remember men will scorn it, 'tis original and true,
And the obliquy of newness may fall bitterly on you.

But, my pupil, as my pupil you have learned the worth of scorn,
You have laughed with me at pity, we have joyed to be forlorn,
What for us are all distractions of men's fellowship and smiles;
What for us the Goddess Pleasure with her meretricious smiles.

You may tell that German College that their honor comes too late,
But they must not waste repentance on the grizzly savant's fate.
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Sarah Williams

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5748320 - 03/21/13 07:10 PM

i guess i read that many years ago, an i like itd ,the point being its a great line.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5748850 - 03/22/13 12:14 AM

Yup, it is a great line. It has been mistakenly attributed to people like Galileo or Tycho, but as far as I know, it has always been from that Sarah Williams poem (1837-1868). I like both the last two lines of the poem rather than just the last one, but the last one is quoted a lot by people and it makes a really good signature line. As for Mercury's current phase, my software MEGASTAR and Celestia currently show it to be a somewhat fat crescent (33% illumination), which would make it look like the moon about six days past new. Clear skies to you.

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercury update and Sketch new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5749197 - 03/22/13 08:29 AM

well im seeing it live an in my telescope, not some computer animation,an its not far from my drawing and if you read my notes its at 0.307 which is about 30% but again its a sketch an im very close an wish i had a picture but MOST rarely see mercury in daylite in any crescent phase cause its dim it was very clear yesterday.an ill stick to my drawing.clear skies to you as well.i also used the 10mm pentax with a televue barlow so it was around 400X .i see i forgot to add that.oh well.we shall see what today brings an ill make another sketch but its still a lot of fun.

Edited by ROBERT FREE (03/22/13 08:41 AM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

#5760385 - 03/27/13 01:53 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

mercury, very faint in this poor elongation even though its mag 0.5 is fairly bright but will get much better in april an may will be nice.awkward angle an low inclination to ecliptic does not help here in march an early april.almost invisible with naked eye and binocs for northern observers but look for it very low in the east early in am an clear skies needed. this observation is in daylite 12.45est 4.45 aft UT time. an i must say it took me a loong time to find it being very faint like i noted in my 8" sct

Edited by ROBERT FREE (03/27/13 02:14 PM)

ROBERT FREE
sage

Re: Mercury update and Sketch [Re: ROBERT FREE]
      #5764265 - 03/29/13 11:12 AM

mercury almost at dichotomy (half-phase) and mag 0.4 an an 8.1 disk size ( telescopically 5" of arc to 9.2 inch) also in a telescope it can be seen at 1.2 crescent, mag to -1.5 at its very brightest an a ball. very hard to see an find in my 8"sct at this time cause its at a low pt in the sky with the sun above the celestial equator by a few degrees an mercury has a minus declination so its poor for northern observers an fine for southern observers. here in florida i enjoy a 10 degree difference over the notherners an thats a big difference but buy may it will be a great time for notherners an me as we approach summertime an the celestial equator will be much higher in the sky. venus is now swinging east of the sun an will be glorius in about two months an for a long time afterwards. ill try to skectch mercury in half phase in a few days.clear skies an HAPPY EASTER to all.today is good friday an for mostand me its a significant day. christ crucified for our sins.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 658

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics