Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: First Telescope new [Re: Mike4242]
      #5768202 - 03/31/13 08:24 AM

Quote:

Since this will be your only telescope ...

Only if he/she decides he/she isn't interested in astronomy after all.

Most people who fall in love with stargazing end up with two or more telescope -- often in fairly short order. Part of the beginning of wisdom is that no one telescope can do everything. And it's generally much more cost-effective to get different scopes for different purposes than to try to get one scope that can do everything.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: First Telescope new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5768823 - 03/31/13 01:37 PM

I hope that I am wrong. But I can imagine that FairObserver may possibly have been turned off by some of the early responses in this thread. An honest and innocent question was asked of the people here and if it had been me, I would have been a bit intimidated and even disillusioned.

I hope that FairObsever comes back and ends up with a nice telescope and then starts another thread expressing the wonder and excitement of viewing the moon and Jupiter etc. And sharing that with everyone.
'Cuz that's what we love to do".

Best, Linda B.

Oscar56
sage

Reged: 01/25/13

Loc: Summerland, BC
Re: First Telescope new [Re: Eric63]
      #5769197 - 03/31/13 04:57 PM

Quote:

This scope was recommended to me by my local telescope shop as a great starter scope with flexibility. Below is my scope, but there are similar products from other companies.

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/01_products/02_detail.php?sid=383

Eric

Eric:

How is the stability of your scope and mount combo?

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: First Telescope new [Re: Oscar56]
      #5769562 - 03/31/13 07:39 PM

Hi Grant

The mount and scope are actually quite stable with minimal vibrations. I really like using it in az mode for scanning the sky if my AZ4 is not available. Now the AZ4 is also a nice mount for the 150Newt. Very stable and easier to use.

Eric

Isdaako

Reged: 03/24/13

Loc: Devils Tower, Wyoming
Re: First Telescope new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5769769 - 03/31/13 10:00 PM

I've recently had lots of experience in reading forum questions like this. Like the OP I'm interested in learning about the resolutions to this question. So, it seems, are a great many others. Thanks for taking the time to give such thoughtful responses.

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
Re: First Telescope new [Re: Isdaako]
      #5770326 - 04/01/13 09:29 AM

Isdaako,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Lots of good information here and good people to help. Have fun.

Best, Linda B.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: First Telescope new [Re: FairObserver]
      #5770420 - 04/01/13 10:09 AM

Quote:

Can anyone give me some advice on a decent telescope in the $300-$800 range that provides good views of planets and deeper space, and can grow with you to be adaptable for photography, computer drives, upgraded eyepieces, and other upgrades, if such an instrument exists? Thanks! FairObserver

You want this and for $450 it's a killer deal:
http://www.astronomytechnologies.com/product.asp?id=17402&c=17400

You will need to mount that telescope to this:
http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Equatorial-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-SkyVi...

The Skyview Pro can be upgraded with various drives for "go to" observation or sidereal rate photography usage. That will work for visual observation and phototography. If you want to save money check the Classifieds here. Here is an example:

Skyview pro with drives for $300:
http://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=77314&sor...

obin

BoldAxis1967
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Kentucky
Re: First Telescope new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5771052 - 04/01/13 03:57 PM

Hi FairObserver,

Do you have any physical limitations? I ask not just because you, like myself are on the over side of 50, but this can be an important consideration. For example, a refractor when trying to find or observe anything close to the zenith can be uncomfortable on the neck and a good chair will be a necessary item. On the otherhand, a reflector is much more ergonimic. The suggestion of Eric63 is a good one for the reasons he stated in addition to the ergonomic factor. The chair you may want a little later but it will not be of immediate importance. Also, the mount and scope are very light, portable and is an easy set-up; and will show you a lot. I believe the Omni 150 by Celestron is the same as the Skywatcher. You may also need a right-angle correct image (RACI) finder scope ($60-90) instead of a straight through if you have any kind of neck-back limitations. Also, a red dot finder such as Rigel Quickfinder($40) is essential. At this stage I totally agree with others, concentrate on the optics and leave the imaging alone, at least for year 1.

Anyway, I just thought that the physical aspects of observing should be mentioned.

Good luck.

BoldAxis1967
sage

Re: First Telescope new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5771063 - 04/01/13 04:03 PM

Excuse me Obin, I meant to respond to FairObserver.
That SkyView Pro with drives could be a good deal. Good find.

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: First Telescope new [Re: BoldAxis1967]
      #5771073 - 04/01/13 04:11 PM

The Rigel isn't a red dot finder. Here is what it looks like. Rigel

BoldAxis1967
sage

Re: First Telescope new [Re: panhard]
      #5771108 - 04/01/13 04:22 PM

Herb, thanks for correcting my mistake. Sometimes I get a little sloppy with nomenclature.

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: First Telescope new [Re: BoldAxis1967]
      #5771327 - 04/01/13 05:42 PM

No problem at all. We help each other out here.

BoldAxis1967
sage

Re: First Telescope new [Re: panhard]
      #5771503 - 04/01/13 07:21 PM

I think Agatha may be correct in that some of the comments may not have been well chosen. Frequently, I think that one of the first and best places to gather information regarding first scopes is to read Ed Ting's "So You Wanna Buy a Telescope... Advice for Beginners." I found his comments extremely helpful. It gave me much to think about, it helped shape my approach entering this extremely complex field, which is perhaps made more complex via its numerous choices. I have thought that CN could have something like Ed Ting's article available for those asking these basic but important questions. It might be better than having ten different responses no matter how objective or informative they may be. With a little bit of knowledge gained from an article like Ed's one may then be in a better posiiton to ask more specific questions without feeling that one is being bombarded from multiple angles. I have seen numerous articles in CN for how to do or select something after buying a telescope but not before. I think Tony Flanders also directed the OP to an article but maybe there should be something within CN as well.

Just a thought since I have noticed over the past few weeks that there has been some discussion regarding what to tell people with questions such as those posted by FairObserver.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5771632 - 04/01/13 08:15 PM

You couldn't so better than a Nexstar 6, second choice would be a dob. Since the Nexstar 6 tracks the stars and planets you can do imaging. Deepsky imaging would be a piggyback camera thing while the moon and planets would be through the scope. The dob is better if you have no interest in taking pictures.

Pete

FairObserver

Reged: 03/28/13

Re: First Telescope new [Re: SKYGZR]
      #5771913 - 04/01/13 10:51 PM

Anything is doable with enough money.

FairObserver

Re: First Telescope new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5771916 - 04/01/13 10:53 PM

Thanks for writing Mitch. What is the range of celestial objects you can see with your telescope? Frank

FairObserver

#5771934 - 04/01/13 11:08 PM

Thanks to all for your responses to my post and for your helpful advice. This is a welcoming and friendly group, and I look forward to more forum exchanges with you as I progress with this great endeavor called astronomy.
Sincerely, Fair Observer (a/k/a Frank).

FairObserver

#5773555 - 04/02/13 05:49 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on a used Meade ETX90 go to in what appears to be very good condition? The asking price is $350.

FairObserver

#5780990 - 04/06/13 01:02 AM

What do any of you think of a Orion SkyQuest XT8i or XT10i IntelliScope Dobsonian Telescope as a good first telescope? Is there a preference for one or the other (8" or 10")? Here's a link to the website:
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8i-IntelliScope-Dobsonian-Telescope...

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
      #5781014 - 04/06/13 01:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for writing Mitch. What is the range of celestial objects you can see with your telescope? Frank

The Omni XLT is more suited for planetary/lunar observing, and it does both very well. Jupiter and Saturn are extremely crisp and full of detail, as well as the Moon; razor sharp and rich contrast. Saturn on a good night will show it's moons, the Cassini Division and some banding on the body.

What scope you get depends a lot on what you plan to accomplish with it. My specific model excels in planetary and lunar observing, but because of the limited aperture, isn't so great for DSO (Nebulae, Galaxies, Star Clusters). If you think you would spend most of your time focused on Jupiter and it's moons, you would probably do well with refractor. If your goal is to observe globular clusters and nebulae, you'd get better results out of a Dob.

It's hard to tell unless you've looked through a scope before. I thought for sure I was going to be a planetary guy, but turns out I am obsessed with DSO's. The Omni XLT isn't particularly bad at DSO observing, but there are definitely better options for the money.

Edited by StrangeDejavu (04/06/13 01:39 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1681
Calendar Event: 03/29/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC