Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: First Telescope new [Re: FairObserver]
      #5781294 - 04/06/13 08:43 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have an opinion on a used Meade ETX90 go to in what appears to be very good condition? The asking price is $350.

think you can find them cheaper if you wait and look. I have been following CL and have seen some good deals on these. Keep in mind it's only a 90mm so many DSO's will be out of range. I think it's a pretty nice scope from what I have read on it. But like I said, not very good for DSO viewing.

The 8 and 10" dobs are pretty much in the same area, one costing more. The 2" difference is there, but not as much as between the 6" (mine) and a 10". If you want to view DSO's then this is what you want, and they excel on planets and lunar viewing as well. Keep in mind the weight of a dob if there are any health issues, like a bad back.
You'll only be able to do very limited afocal AP with either the Dob or the ETX, basically iphone and steadypix mount.

I would first start with a dob which will give great views of planetary,lunar and DSO. Learn the night sky (Turn Left at Orion), visit a local astronomy club and ask and read a lot here as the members here are very helpful and will keep you on the right path. I know that without everyone here I would have bought the 'cool' looking stuff, and not what I would actually need or use.

Good luck with whatever you finally decide, but don't worry, it won't be you only scope..lol. Look forward to a first light from you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FairObserver

Reged: 03/28/13

Re: First Telescope new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5841027 - 05/05/13 01:14 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on a Celestron NexStar 6 SE 6” Go-to SCT as a scope for a beginner who wants something he can grow with in this endeavor?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1687
Calendar Event: 03/29/13

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC