Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5402722 - 09/04/12 10:45 AM

All the Celetron's (Standard or Edge) with the "new" tube castings have changed. They have a double grub screw holding the corrector in place. You remove the first screw and set them aside. Then you can use your allen wrench to loosen the white Nylon screws that hold the corrector. I generally loosen only one. The pressure release from removing the first screws, and the loosening of the top white Nylon, one can easily pull the corrector out. This way re-centering is not an issue.

Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: jmiele]
      #5402790 - 09/04/12 11:25 AM

Quote:

All the Celetron's (Standard or Edge) with the "new" tube castings have changed. They have a double grub screw holding the corrector in place. You remove the first screw and set them aside. Then you can use your allen wrench to loosen the white Nylon screws that hold the corrector. I generally loosen only one. The pressure release from removing the first screws, and the loosening of the top white Nylon, one can easily pull the corrector out. This way re-centering is not an issue.

Joe

I agree with Joe. If you cannot remove the corrector without loosening any of the screws, then only loosen one of the screws to avoid messing up the centering. Also, ALWAYS mark the corrector orientation. The new scopes no longer have a serial number mark on them to use for orientation. Use a sharpie to make a mark on the corrector and a corresponding mark on the corrector cell.

areyoukiddingme

Reged: 11/18/12

Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: EFT]
      #5737896 - 03/17/13 01:39 AM

I wish I had found this thread before I bought my 'scope!

My edgehd 1100 arrived about 6 weeks ago (end January '13) with a very strong glue smell (which it still has) and poor quality views (it's like looking through a fog). I had thought that it was just taking a REALLY long time for the temperature to stabilize, but I installed tempest fans and still have the problem (plus I live in California).

Does anyone know if installing these fans will mean Celestron won't honor the warranty? Fun. . . I guess I will otherwise have to learn to do the cleaning myself.

Anyway, I'd hoped that my first post (after much reading) would be a bit more on the positive side! But I do appreciate all the great information on here!

Scott

I

beammeup

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Straight of Gibraltar
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: areyoukiddingme]
      #5738278 - 03/17/13 09:44 AM

Same here - just stumbled upon this post.
UPS due to deliver my new edge hd 8 VX tomorrow or Tuesday.

No fog please......

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: beammeup]
      #5738562 - 03/17/13 12:57 PM

Hmmmm

My 8 comes in a few days

Will not be happy with fogging

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: HowardK]
      #5738978 - 03/17/13 03:55 PM

My ex C11 Edge (I have just packed it today for shipping to its new owner) have never ever had this fog problem. Maybe I was lucky. There was no gunk to hold the corrector either.

Clear skies

Wilki

Reged: 03/15/10

Loc: California (recently moved)
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5739009 - 03/17/13 04:12 PM

After seeing this thread, I had to check my C11 Edge as well. Due to work and horrible weather, I've only had it out once since last summer. I was a little worried, but happy to find no problems.

EFT

Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: Wilki]
      #5739845 - 03/17/13 11:36 PM

As far as I can tell so far, the "fogging" problem appears fairly random. It seems to happen in all different environments with and without active venting. There is no concensus on whether it is related to the lubricant or the paint used in the OTA, the environment that the OTA is being used in or something else entirely. I suspect that it is a combination of factors but don't have enough examples to see a trend yet. Overall though, the problem does not appear to be very common.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #5740105 - 03/18/13 05:03 AM

This is a relief for me. I have just purchased a C8 and I was worried about this problem.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5761051 - 03/27/13 06:58 PM

Interesting thread, I have just ordered a C11 Edge, I really hope it doesn't have this issue!

I'd like to get the TEMPest fan kit as well... it doesn't void the warranty does it?

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: Tori]
      #5761488 - 03/27/13 10:55 PM

Quote:

The great news, for C14 EdgeHDs and my hands at least, is that I've now discovered I can clean the corrector by reaching in after removing the secondary. No need to remove the corrector. I was half-way done when I needed to stop for a bit, but so far it's looking really good!

I just cleaned my corrector, secondary and mirror on my HD11 by reaching my hand and arm through the secondary opening. Kinda tight near the elbow. Had to watch my elbow position and torque. Also noticed, the colder it got, the thinner my arm got.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: areyoukiddingme]
      #5761490 - 03/27/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

I wish I had found this thread before I bought my 'scope!

Scott

Scott, Welcome to Cloudy Nights.
Over the years I have owned 4 C8's, 3 C5's, a C9.25 and a C11, and have only had the out gassing problem with 1 C8, and it was a 1999 model. I don't believe it is very common, but it does happen on occasion. The cleaning process is fairly simple as long as you follow some simple instructions on the dismantle procedure that can be found elsewhere on Cloudy Nights.
As far as the performance of your C11 goes, you should contact a local astronomy club, and go out to one of their observing nights, and have someone with more SCT experience have a look through it. They may be able to help you figure out what the problem is.

Steve
Steve

EFT

Re: EdgeHD corrector removal [Re: WesC]
      #5765982 - 03/30/13 12:14 AM

Quote:

Interesting thread, I have just ordered a C11 Edge, I really hope it doesn't have this issue!

I'd like to get the TEMPest fan kit as well... it doesn't void the warranty does it?

Technically, anything you do other than use you equipment as outline in the manual voids the warranty. In reality, there are many improvements that you can make like adding fans, dew heaters, etc., that do not physically alter the equipment and can be easily removed and thus should have no impact on the warranty. In addition, the companies, including Celestron, know of these improvements and have never indicated that they have any specific problems with them and may even recommend them to people. It is however best to never send equipment in for factory service with aftermarket items attached since they may not return due to a policy of returning serviced equipment to original factory specs in all cases.

mattflastro
Vendor - Astrovideo Systems

Reged: 07/31/09

Loc: Brevard County , FL
      #5766152 - 03/30/13 04:33 AM

Hmm, corrector fogging issues. I wonder what happened to people regreasing baffle tubes and focusers with Corning High Vacuum grease ? It used to be the norm in the days before mirror locks on SCT's .
Also, is it possible that the fog/film could be actually fungus on the corrector ? Fungus too likes to start growing on those cleaning streaks .

titanio
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Loc: Alicante, Spain
Re: EdgeHD corrector removal new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5767750 - 03/30/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The great news, for C14 EdgeHDs and my hands at least, is that I've now discovered I can clean the corrector by reaching in after removing the secondary. No need to remove the corrector. I was half-way done when I needed to stop for a bit, but so far it's looking really good!

I just cleaned my corrector, secondary and mirror on my HD11 by reaching my hand and arm through the secondary opening. Kinda tight near the elbow. Had to watch my elbow position and torque. Also noticed, the colder it got, the thinner my arm got.

I also have removed my C 9,25 secondary just to see if I can put my hand inside and cleaning the corrector plate, yes I can put my hand inside and it is not difficult to do the cleaning of the corrector plate, but so far I have not cleaning it. Good Idea and it is safer than remove the corrector plate. Yes be careful when remove the secondary ring and hold the secondary plastic cap to avoid falling it down.

Toni

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6359

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics