Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: AT72ED with AT2FF or AT65EDQ? new [Re: terry59]
      #5762894 - 03/28/13 06:26 PM

Quote:

...I took the foot off a long time ago. I use a pair of Orion 80mm tube rings. One fits fine and for the other I got a roll of nylon strapping at Wally World. A piece on the bottom and another on top make it fit snugly....

Does that mean you have one ring around the front of the optical tube (i.e. the largest point of the diameter) and one ring around the smaller diameter rotatable focus collar? That would work but it would mean that you couldn't easily rotate the focuser and you'd be attaching the rear ring to a part of the tube that isn't solidly attached to the objective (if would be tight, I'm sure, but it mighty also cause a tilt in the focal plane -- not at all likely, but still something of a possibility particularly if the collar was at all loose).

As I mentioned earlier, putting rings on the AT72ED isn't a straightforward task and thus probably counts as a negative.

In any case, thanks for the information on the AT72ED, but it seems that I'm the only one in this thread that likes the chances with that scope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
james7ca
sage

Re: AT72ED with AT2FF or AT65EDQ? new [Re: james7ca]
      #5765239 - 03/29/13 04:52 PM

Here are some more threads discussing AT72ED and the AT65EDQ.

Discussion about using a 2" star diagonal with the AT65EDQ (comes to focus with some 2" eyepieces, but you may need to use a special, short focus type prism diagonal to work with most):

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5496817/Main...

Review on the AT66ED (early relative to the current AT72ED):

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2056

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: AT72ED with AT2FF or AT65EDQ? [Re: james7ca]
      #5765995 - 03/30/13 12:35 AM

Quote:

In any case, thanks for the information on the AT72ED, but it seems that I'm the only one in this thread that likes the chances with that scope.

No, you are not the only one. Thanks for posting a link to your pics. It will gives me an idea of what to expect. I just got my mount in so I am still a ways from actually getting some pics. I have been looking for scope rings and I see what you mean about it being difficult. The tube OD is an odd size.

james7ca
sage

Re: AT72ED with AT2FF or AT65EDQ? new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5767134 - 03/30/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, you are not the only one. Thanks for posting a link to your pics. It will gives me an idea of what to expect. I just got my mount in so I am still a ways from actually getting some pics. I have been looking for scope rings and I see what you mean about it being difficult. The tube OD is an odd size.

The problem with using mounting rings is that the tube has three different sections with three different diameters as you move from the front to the back. Ideally, you'd need two different sized rings unless you want to use the type that has the adjustable tensioning screws. Moreover, the rear section is the rotatable collar and I'm not certain that you'd want to mount rings on that part of the tube.

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: AT72ED with AT2FF or AT65EDQ? new [Re: james7ca]
      #5767694 - 03/30/13 09:49 PM

Yes there are three parts. The dew shield, the main tube and rear rotating section. I would think that I would only want to mount the rings on the main tube which is 87mm OD. I think Agena Astro has some that are close. 3.5 inch rings they say fits 88 to 90mm. Astronomics has astro tech rings with the adjustable screws, but I would be concerned that they might put marks or dents on the tube. If I went with the Agena astro ones, I would probably have to line them to get a tight fit.

hoa101

Reged: 02/04/12

Loc: Northern Virginia
      #5768326 - 03/31/13 09:39 AM

I've already commented in this thread, but I also want to point out that a scope with integrated flattener is just... easy. As a beginner, not having to mess with spacing and all that sort of thing cannot be underestimated. I just take my Hotech compression t-adapter, slap on a t-ring, attach the camera, and I'm done. I like to keep things simple when possible.

james7ca
sage

#5777028 - 04/04/13 05:42 AM

Quote:

Yes there are three parts. The dew shield, the main tube and rear rotating section...

The three sections on the AT72ED optical tube that I'm talking about are the main tube (where the objective is mounted), the larger diameter center section where the Vixen shoe attaches, and the rear focusing collar that is attached to the aforementioned center section. I wasn't referring to the dew shield, which couldn't be used for the rings anyway.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1573

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics