Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tayseidel

Reged: 11/15/12

Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new
      #5764613 - 03/29/13 12:59 PM

I have not heard from Bryan Greer @ Protostar regarding my curved vane order, and my emails to him bounced this morning. Emails to both his email @ protostar and the general protostar addresses have bounced and come back.

I was supposed to have gotten my curved vane by now, and I have heard nothing from Greer. Is everything alright with him? If there are extenuating circumstances, then that is fine and I understand. Just a bit concerned is all.

Edited by tayseidel (03/29/13 03:02 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: tayseidel]
      #5764689 - 03/29/13 01:26 PM

You have impermissible spaces between letters in the e-mail addresses above. If you sent them that way, that may explain the bounce.

howieglatter@mindspring.com

tayseidel

Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5764897 - 03/29/13 02:37 PM

Howie,

I used the actual emails listed on Protostar. When I said @ Protostar, I meant to say "at protostar" and so forth. I was just substituting "@" for "at". Sorry for my improper use of special characters.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5764911 - 03/29/13 02:43 PM

well bryan is listed as a vendor for neaf this year, so you could come and shake his hand, maybe get an autograph, he does know how to build a scope.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5765850 - 03/29/13 10:17 PM

We all want rapid response, myself included. But the fact is some astro-vendors are better than others at rapid response. You need to keep in mind that most of these businesses are off-shoots of something that can actually feed the families of the owners.

If you needed a part for a build this weekend, you really should have ordered it three months ago. Sorry.

jgibson1@emich
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/11/06

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5765961 - 03/29/13 11:58 PM

Hello,

If it is worth anything I too had some communication difficulties while waiting on a 3-vane spider and secondary for my scope. I did speak to Bryan after quite some time and he explained to me that Protostar has consolidated / re-located their workshop over this past Christmas and New Year. Bryan explained that this set them back about 2 months in their orders. It took nearly an extra 2 months for my order to be completed and shipped.

Despite taking a bit longer than anticipated I did get my stuff. And I must say it was a very nice 3-vane spider and secondary. They do make some quality products. Just my experience. Oh and I would suggest calling during the week. That was the best way for me to contact Bryan.

Regards,
Jason

tayseidel

Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails [Re: jgibson1@emich]
      #5765998 - 03/30/13 12:36 AM

Thanks Jason. I ordered the vane early last month, so about a month and half ago. I was in touch with Bryan Greer until the 1st of March or so. Even then, I completely understand if he is inneduated with orders and doesn't want to spend his life responding to emails. I'm pretty sure the bounced emails were a result of a full inbox. Despite that, I'll just hope for the best, that the vane is here by mid-april which is when I'm expecting to finish the OTA of my scope. I don't doubt that I will get a quality built vane from Bryan. I just wanted to know if anyone knew what was going on- but yeah, Greer did tell me last month that they relocated the shop so that set him back. Anyway, he said that the vane would be here mid-March. Even if it doesn't get here until mid-April, I'm still a happy customer because I'll have it in time to test focus.

Dave O
sage

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Sri Lanka
Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5766089 - 03/30/13 02:51 AM

Quote:

We all want rapid response, myself included. But the fact is some astro-vendors are better than others at rapid response. You need to keep in mind that most of these businesses are off-shoots of something that can actually feed the families of the owners.

If you needed a part for a build this weekend, you really should have ordered it three months ago. Sorry.

What the customer wants, is the product delivered as promised. If the delivery schedule can't be met, then the customer deserves some sort of notification. When the delivery date goes by, AND the vender can no longer be contacted (or refuses to respond); that is when customers begin to get anxious. Answering eMails does not take a lot of effort or time; it just takes a willingness to 'do what's right' on the part of the business. Most customers would understand delays, as long as they are informed of them. Communication is just a part of being a good business and providing customer satisfaction. I would be leery in dealing with a company that operates in this manner.

ausastronomerModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/30/03

Loc: Kiama NSW (Australia)
Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: Dave O]
      #5768020 - 03/31/13 02:07 AM

People please keep things respectful and within the terms of service. Vendor bashing is not permitted.

Some of you need to understand that the astronomy equipment market is extremely small and many vendors in it have full time jobs, in addition to running a small sideline business, supplying astro equipment. Bryan Greer at Protostar previously had a business partner and they shared the work. With the onset of the GFC orders decreased and Bryan took over the business full time. Bryan also has a full time job and had to relocate the premises. He doesn't have 12 staff working in the factory making the items while he sits in the office answering the phone and sending emails, like some of the larger businesses. Bryan does everything and does a very good job of it. His quality is unsurpassed.

I have previously ordered 4 vane heated spiders and quartz secondaries for both my 10" and 14" scopes. I waited quite a while for them. In fact I waited almost 7 months for the spider and secondary for the 10" scope. Was it worth the wait? I think so. The items are better in quality IMO than anything available from anyone else.

Similarly, I waited almost 3 years for my 10"/F5.3 mirror from Mark Suchting. Was it worth the wait? I think so. It could well be the best 10" mirror on the planet.

There are a few vendors who have long delivery times but in every case always deliver the product which is worth waiting for. If I had one criticism of Bryan Greer it is that he should try to provide a more accurate delivery schedule at the time of the placement of the order.

In regard to your curved spider I have zero doubt you will get it and it will be a very high quality product when you do. However, based on past experience you may have a bit longer to wait yet. I would try calling Bryan between say 7:30pm and 9:00pm on a weeknight when it is likely he will be home, to get an update.

Cheers

dave hightower
journeyman

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: SoCal
Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: ausastronomer]
      #5794670 - 04/12/13 02:44 PM

He is not communicating with me regarding my order either. I am relieved to see that I am not alone, and I gather that the consensus in this forum is that he is still in business. As long as I get my tube and spider (ordered in March and confirmed with him on the phone) by summer I'll be OK. (by contrast Jim at Scopestuff is very responsive)

nevy
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/07/12

Loc: UK
Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: dave hightower]
      #5794767 - 04/12/13 03:38 PM

He does respond to emails , I've been getting responses , you just need to be patient.

Larry Silvestri

Reged: 01/29/13

#5794789 - 04/12/13 03:52 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Protostar sent the flocking I ordered within a week, but no diagonal or spider. He only charged for the flocking. So, I made my own curved vane. Used a brass strip from hardware store and a 1/4x20 coupling nut. Bent the brass strip around a pipe of approximate diameter. Clamped them together and soldered with a propane torch. Bent the ears in a vice with a hammer. I made a few, and put the best one in the scope. I made the diagonal holder from the design in Thompson's.

tayseidel

Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: Larry Silvestri]
      #5795750 - 04/13/13 01:21 AM

After ausastronomer's response, I was content to let this thread die. What ausastronomer said made a lot of sense. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get my curved vane this month, because that is when my OTA will be ready to find the balance point. At that point, I'll be needing the curved vane.

As I previously said, I have zero doubt I'll receive a quality product, and that I will be happy when I get it. I still haven't heard back from Greer, but so as long I get the curved vane, I'll be happy. I just hope it is this month.

Larry Silvestri

Reged: 01/29/13

#5796155 - 04/13/13 08:47 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

If a restaurant owner's customers were waiting in line, he might conclude that he could raise his prices.

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: Larry Silvestri]
      #5796565 - 04/13/13 12:50 PM

If I were waiting in that line, I'd leave.
Those who are in business for themselves, like Bryan, know that very well and won't wilfully let it happen.
No doubt, he's got a lot of work to do.

Edited by richard7 (04/13/13 06:52 PM)

Pinbout
Postmaster

Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: richard7]
      #5796601 - 04/13/13 01:11 PM

I dont care how he treats his customers, I'm a fan cause he knows a lot about building telescopes.

can't wait to pick his brain at NEAF

dave hightower
journeyman

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: SoCal
Re: Bryan Greer at Protostar - returned emails new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5819780 - 04/24/13 01:17 PM

Did you see him at NEAF? Besides scope-talk, which is the priority there, was there any talk about the order backlog?

Order placed: early March.
Reached BG by phone: 19--March.
Email from him on 19-March, commiting to ship first week of April.
No reply to email or phone since.
Credit card not billed yet.
Only 2 weeks late; not complaining, just asking.

-dave

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5819828 - 04/24/13 01:37 PM

No, possible bad info or a no show.

NEAF had him listed as a vendor, along with some others, but they weren't there. so there is a disconnect.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5820751 - 04/24/13 08:21 PM

The #1 mistake any business person can make is not taking the time to communicate with his or her customers. The #2 mistake any business person can make is not learning the art of expectation setting. Let's say that it is going to take you at least 6 months to fabricate and deliver an item. If you tell the customer 3 months because you think they may shop elsewhere if you told them 6 months, and then deliver in 6 months, the customer will be disappointed. If instead you tell the same customer 8 months and deliver in 6, you will be a hero, having delivered a whole 2 months early.

I've made both of these mistakes before. Avoiding them if the surest way to have happy customers.

Regards,

Jim

don clement
Vendor (Clement Focuser)

Reged: 02/02/11

Loc: Running Springs, California
      #5820802 - 04/24/13 08:54 PM

"I read all about the scourging and the crowning with thorns and I could viddy myself helping in and even taking charge of the tolchocking and the nailing in, being dressed in the height of Roman fashion."

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2405

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics