Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MarshallCrenshaw

Reged: 03/18/13

Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license
      #5768278 - 03/31/13 09:22 AM

I cannot run NexRemote to work with my new CGEM telescope mount.
I have Alienware laptop from Dell, Intel i7 2.20Ghz processors, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, Administrator privileges.

I'm using Trip-Lite Keyspan USA-19HS Serial to USB adapter (which several users have noted works with NexRemote). I downloded the latest drivers for the adapter and installed and checked that it worked with the Keyspan Serial Assistant program supplied with the adapter.

I installed NexRemote using the CD that came with my mount. It gets to the stage of installing the virtual drivers and hangs. After 15 minutes it is still hung ("This may take some time..."). The install won't exit, requiring me to go into task manager to kill the install. I tried running the install in the Windows compatibility mode for XP, but this gives me another error message.

I go to Celestron knowledge base and find:
****"
Q: My Celestron software won’t run on my Windows 7 computer. Help!
A: If you have NexRemote, HCupdate, MCupdate,PECTool compatibility issues, simply download the latest versions from Celestron’s Manuals/Drivers page. They will work with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
For the newest Windows 7 compatible version, go to our downloads page and simply download the latest version and use your same license key:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/downloads.php
For the old version, if you get the message "ERROR NexRemote is not allowed to run on WinNTx Setup Aborted" when trying to install NexRemote on a Windows 7 machine, try setting the compatibility mode for the Operating system’s installer to Windows XP 32-bit.
This should allow you to install NexRemote, which is compatible with 32-bit Windows XP and Vista systems."

I went to Celestron download site and downloaded version 1.7.22 and used it (NexRemoteInstall_1_7_22.exe). The installation went fine and icons appear for NexRemote, NexTour, and NexGPS on my desktop. (Strangely the NexTour icon does not have the correct icon picture but a generic windows default picture. It still points to the correct file.)

I run NexRemote and get the dreaded "You do not have the appropriate license for this software".
I go to Celestron knowledge base and find
Q: "I’m upgrading NexRemote to a new version from the Celestron website. I get the message “License may be corrupt” and/or “You do not have the appropriate license for this software” stopping me from upgrading.
A: The issue here is files left after the uninstall of the older NexRemote version. These files and references to them can block the newer software from proper installation.
The vcom.dll file causes this problem. In Windows file explorer, go to C:\windows\System32 and find this file (and a duplicate file, vcom2.dll, which may or may not be present). Delete the file(s). Then install the new NexRemote version.

I go to my C:\windows\System32 directory - there is no vcom.dll file, no vcom2.dll. I use search and there are no such files on my computer.

I've uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled and get the same problem. After 2 hours of searching and trying I give up. What's the trick?

I tried again - uninstalled, deleted the c:/Program Files (x86)/Celestron/NexRemote folder.
Right click on setup and Run as Administrator.

This time it got through the install virtual driver in <30 sec and finished the install!

With a smile on my face, I click on the short cut NexRemote and......
same old message:
"You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality"

Doesn't help this time to right click and run as administrater - immediately the same old message.

Are there some files or entries in registy that are causing this that I could delete? Perhaps the newer versions don't use the name vcom.dll or use the registry

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone else with this problem and a solution?

Help me ObiWan, you're my only hope...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: MarshallCrenshaw]
      #5768295 - 03/31/13 09:29 AM

Run CCleaner and clean up all the old registry inserts...

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: neotesla]
      #5768421 - 03/31/13 10:03 AM

If that .DLL is "hidden" you will not be able to find it.

Open Control Panel.
Double Click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
From here you can "un-hide" hidden files.

This is the first thing I do when I get a new computer, or if I restore an old one to the factory image.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5768692 - 03/31/13 12:21 PM

Me too. I have Folder Options/View/Hidden files and folders/Show hidden files, folder, and drives - checked.

...Hide extensions for known file types - unchecked.

...Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) - unchecked.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: neotesla]
      #5768699 - 03/31/13 12:25 PM

Is this a known solution or just something to try?
Do I need to know the name of the key or does this program just delete keys that are no longer needed or referenced or something? Like most installation routines nowadays, even the log file doesn't tell you what it's done to the registry.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: MarshallCrenshaw]
      #5768780 - 03/31/13 01:15 PM

I found an old thread from a user trying to get NexRemote to install on Win 7 computer (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4750198/Main/4733563 dated 8/6/2011)
who reported a problem after installing with a white screen instead of controls. He solved by turning off real time scanning in McAfee antivirus.
I've tried turning off my Norton antivirus (including SONAR their real time protection).

Didn't help.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5768809 - 03/31/13 01:31 PM

Uninstall NexRemote. Run CCleaner (exercising the "clean Registry" option), reinstall.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: rmollise]
      #5769183 - 03/31/13 04:53 PM

I downloaded and installed CCleaner.
I uninstalled NexRemote.
I ran CCleaner and found a couple of entries referencing NexRemote (an uninstaller reference and MUI reference):
Uninstaller Reference Issue NexRemote HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\NexRemote
Missing MUI Reference C:\Program Files (x86)\Celestron\NexRemote\NexRemote.exe HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

I let CCleaner remove all the problems it found, ran it again and again until no more problems.

Rebooted.
Disabled Norton antivirus real-time protection
Ran install as administrator.
Installed everything ok, 3 shortcuts on desktop to NexRemote, NexTour, NexGPS.
Run NexRemote, tadah, same error message:

It doesn't even give me a chance to entire the code for the program, nothing else comes up.

I'm going to try and install on a desktop computer running Windows XP and see what happens.

[Should I post this in the software forum instead? In addition?]
I've got an email out to Celestron but don't expect to hear back for several days.

gastargazer01

Reged: 12/21/12

Loc: Flowery Branch GA
Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: rmollise]
      #5769189 - 03/31/13 04:55 PM

Do a system restore prior to your install. Disable any virus protection. My install went fine you may need to right click on the setup/install and run as administrator. Just a few quick ideas

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5769192 - 03/31/13 04:57 PM

When you open nexremote and right click on it does the enter license option available? I am using nexremote with win7 64bit.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: Stew57]
      #5769302 - 03/31/13 05:28 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

That's the problem - when I run NexRemote I don't get anything but a popup Window that says I don't have the appropriate license. I can only close the popup - the program never really gets to the point where I see anything.
See attached screen shot.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: gastargazer01]
      #5769308 - 03/31/13 05:32 PM

A system restore! That seems pretty drastic. Back to when?
And I did the disable Norton Antivirus (*BLEEP* it off) and the run as administrator thing.
I think I'll try on another computer first.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #5769350 - 03/31/13 05:49 PM

Did you re-install the newer program from the web site or did you use the CD? You want to use the program from Celestron's site. I'm running mine on a win 7 64 bit in compatibility mode Windows XP sp3.

Stan

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5769369 - 03/31/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

I downloaded and installed CCleaner.
I uninstalled NexRemote.
I ran CCleaner and found a couple of entries referencing NexRemote (an uninstaller reference and MUI reference):
Uninstaller Reference Issue NexRemote HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\NexRemote
Missing MUI Reference C:\Program Files (x86)\Celestron\NexRemote\NexRemote.exe HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

I let CCleaner remove all the problems it found, ran it again and again until no more problems.

Rebooted.
Disabled Norton antivirus real-time protection
Ran install as administrator.
Installed everything ok, 3 shortcuts on desktop to NexRemote, NexTour, NexGPS.
Run NexRemote, tadah, same error message:

It doesn't even give me a chance to entire the code for the program, nothing else comes up.

I'm going to try and install on a desktop computer running Windows XP and see what happens.

[Should I post this in the software forum instead? In addition?]
I've got an email out to Celestron but don't expect to hear back for several days.

Right click on the icon for the install program and select "run as administrator" from "Properties" if you haven't done that already." That my do the trick. Otherwise...

I would join the Yahoogroup for NexRemote. Not a lot of activity there at present, but you can still catch some of the NR gurus...and I am betting you'd get help purty soon.

Edited by rmollise (03/31/13 05:58 PM)

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5769711 - 03/31/13 09:05 PM

Downloaded newest version from Celestron 1.7.22. Same error message. When I tried compatablility mode with it I got a different error - couldn't run in NT or something.

Now to add insult to injury - I just installed the CD version 1.7.18 on my desktop running Win XP Service Pack 3 - ran perfectly the first time, no glitches. Guess I'll have to lug a desktop with me!

Perhaps I'll try installing the CD version which is 1.7.18 in Win XP compatability mode on my laptop. Hate to use an older version but might be last resort.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5769731 - 03/31/13 09:26 PM

Really strange. I have win7 64bit and a i7 cpu. I had 8GB ram but have since upgraded to 32GB. It installed fine and operated fine. I have upgraded to v1.7.22 and still no problem. Somewhere some vestige of the botched install is not being removed when you delete.

MarshallCrenshaw

Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: Stew57]
      #5769949 - 04/01/13 12:21 AM

I bet your right - that's why I tried CCleaner - but I can't find something if I don't know where to look for it. Maybe Celestron can help me or I'll try Yahoo group NexRemote.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
      #5770032 - 04/01/13 01:30 AM

Boy-O-Boy I just went round&round with Celestron & HP , Hp said it Wes a Software Problem from Celestron, Celestron said it was a PC problem from HP and then after some time they said it was my fault ? OK all I can tell you is this , I got a NEW HP All in one desk top Windows 8 for my Observatory ,At the end of the Nexremote download I got a Update Serial Port Driver Failure Oxe0000203 and PC locks up , Sounds a little like what happened to you , I tried everything , from calling Celestron to a total Recovery on a NEW PC , Same-O-Same-O Then it hit Me ! My CGEM-DX has a RS232 Serial Port Old school for a New Mount? My HP Omni All In One PC has only USB ports No serial Ports not even for the Monitor its all in one , That said I took the Windows 7 Desk top from the House that has Serial Port for the monitor and swiped them , I Downloaded Nexremote with NO problems , I could be wrong I'm not good at this kind of stuff but maybe if theres no Drivers for a Serial Port then how can it update or refig the Driver thats not there ? Now I'm not saying thats your problem but it worked for Me.

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: Megabusa]
      #5770038 - 04/01/13 01:34 AM

About the Product Key ,Celestron said to delete Nexremote and Reboot the PC before Downloading it from there Site where no Key is needed ,O-BY-THE-WAY I like using Windows 7 over 8 , I HATE Windows 8 but that's OK because my Wife uses the House PC way more then Me anyway.

Edited by Megabusa (04/01/13 01:44 AM)

beammeup

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Straight of Gibraltar
Re: Can't run NexRemote CGEM - no appropriate license new [Re: Megabusa]
      #5770040 - 04/01/13 01:35 AM

I had exactly the same problem when upgrading nexremote version 6 to version 7 (PC running windows 7 32 bit), but I managed to resolve it by deleting the 2 Vcom files, the problem now is that it does not save my registration key when I enter it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1615

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics