Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5768475 - 03/31/13 10:30 AM

Hi Unidentified130:

Catchy name!

Not sure what you mean. First, one man's inexpensive is another man's fortune. How much are you looking to spend? Are you expecting goto and tracking, or just a manual mount? What do you mean by "quick look" or "backup" ... what are your intended uses for the mount?

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Unidentified130

Reged: 03/11/13

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5768573 - 03/31/13 11:23 AM

Quick to setup manual mount (non goto) and something I can use as a backup just in case I have to send the goto mount for repairs to celestron.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5768598 - 03/31/13 11:30 AM

I have the twiligth IImount from ES. Not heavy very stable (better than the SE mount) and i tried it with the 8 se when my mount was sent for repair, it worked very well

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: coutleef]
      #5769116 - 03/31/13 04:21 PM

There are several manual alt/az mounts available that various people have use with an 8" SCT. Astrotech Voyager goes for around $300 and weighs about 14 pounds. The Twilight II mount is over $400 but can handle two scopes.

I went for the Desert Skies DSV-1 mount which, when purchased with their surveyors tripod goes for $310. If you want dual saddles so it will hold two scopes like the Twilight, you can add that for another $40.

The DSV-1 is a really high quality, precision machined mount with all ball bearing swivels. (The Voyager is just friction bearings, and I'm not sure about the Twilight II.) The DSV-1 is extremely smooth and the pan handle makes it easy to maneuver.

I can't vouch for the overall stability of the mount & tripod with an 8" SCT on it because I didn't purchase their tripod. I went with a "shorty" surveyors tripod that was a bit more expensive, but was more heavy duty. It also did not have the spreader that the Desert Sky tripod has. I think if I had to do it again though, I'd go with their tripod.

But I got the 2-saddle version of the mount and have tried it with both the 8"SCT and a 90mm refractor mounted. On my tripod, it works extremely well and is MUCH more stable than the 8SE mount.

-Dan

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3155

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics