Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
FTLAUDSKY

Reged: 01/21/13

Celestron EQ sale - mount options new
      #5767657 - 03/30/13 09:28 PM

Has anyone taken advantage of the sale? it's only 10% off, but on a mount that adds up. I am so tempted to get either the cgem or dx. Got plans for a new scope and will need a mount. Would love to get a G11, but it's out of the budget. I also looked at the Atlas Pro and that seems tempting. What are people using for a medium mount these days they could recommend? I know it's hit or miss with a celestron mount. Suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: Celestron EQ sale - mount options new [Re: FTLAUDSKY]
      #5768016 - 03/31/13 01:55 AM

I'm very happy with my CGEM. I found a CGE-PRO tripod on eBay that was advertised would upgrade my CGEM so I bought it. When it came there was no way to connect my CGEM mount to it. Apparently the CGEM-DX uses the CGE-PRO tripod and it comes with an adapter to connect the two. Because I did not get that adapter I had to send the tripod back.

The big tripod (that comes with the CGEM-DX) weighs 45 pounds and the CGEM tripod weighs 17 pounds. To get something sturdier I upgraded my tripod with this spreader. I have seen the nicer tripod and don't think it is worth hauling around so much weight. I can take 10 minute exposures with an autoguider with my CGEM using an f/10 C8.

Now, if I had it all to do over again from scratch, I would get the CGEM (non-DX) and upgrade with the spreader. I also have the polar scope and dual saddle upgrade that I wouldn't want to be without. So what I'm saying is that I would end up with exactly what I have now.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5768492 - 03/31/13 10:37 AM

Unless you want the functionality of Alt/Az, an Atlas. Pretty proven from the number of folks that have one.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron EQ sale - mount options new [Re: rigel123]
      #5768662 - 03/31/13 12:00 PM

Hi,
I had a CGEM DX and loved it. Its worth getting the big sturdy tripod and thicker counterweight bar. It handled heavier loads good too.
Now I have a slightly used CGE and its even better, but heavy.

neilson

spsesq

Reged: 06/04/11

Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #5768862 - 03/31/13 01:55 PM

I just received my new CGEM Friday. I took a advantage because of the sale. I could not be happier. I replaced my losmandy gm8 with goto only due to weight issues.
I love the CGEM. It beefier than I thought and it worked perfectly right out of the box first time. Tracking was spot on. I'll see how it does once I can get clear skies in NJ for more than 1 hour and I can use the guide scope and autoguider set up I ordered. The sale was the final factor that made me get this mount. No regrets.

gastargazer01

Reged: 12/21/12

Loc: Flowery Branch GA
Re: Celestron EQ sale - mount options [Re: spsesq]
      #5769167 - 03/31/13 04:47 PM

Upgrading from the CG-5ASGT and it should be here Monday + 1 more counter weight.

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 482

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics