Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/06

Saturn in a 12.5, wed morning 3-27 new
      #5769619 - 03/31/13 08:12 PM Attachment (86 downloads)

I recently completed a 12.5 inch scope that rides nicely on an old, refurbished Tom O platform. On the night of 3/26 (that is, early on 3/27), it rewarded me with a captivating view of Saturn at 530X, which I have attempted to represent here in a "sketch." Quotation marks, because it was a bit of a cheat: I started with an astrophoto, then photoshopped the heck out of it until I had a featureless white ball and featureless rings, with indications of their separation: this I used as a template on which to sketch...

As for the observation, I began with sucker holes in a light cloud layer but fairly steady seeing; around 2 am, however, almost at transit, I had clear sky and a good view--not rock solid, but with enough momentary calm to see a fair amount of detail. Banding was very nice, with an obvious wide light zone at the equator, a broad darker band through the tropical and temperate regions, and a very narrow light zone just north of this. The north polar region was exceptionally dark, and at some point I thought I spied a light zone running around it, but I have not drawn this--it was too fleeting. The Crepe ring was beautiful across the planet's face and into the ansae (I have not rendered its shape very well here); the Encke minima were visible in the A ring, and the usual darkening of the B ring near the ansae as well. Cassini shimmered in the seeing, but was clearly visible all the way around--at one point, I thought it looked lighter where it crossed the planet, but I don't know if current illumination makes that possible, and it was probably a bit of imagination. The shadow of the planet on the rings was noted--it always heightens the sense of 3-dimensionality--I confess I photoshopped this part of my drawing after scanning it, because I couldn't make it dark enough; likewise I photoshopped the bit of space interior to the crepe ring to get it dark enough. Of the moons I only noted Titan, Rhea, Dione and Tethys.

I was extremely happy to have tracking--something I've done without since selling my old 6-inch Intes mak 10 years ago--as seeing supported quite high power for occasional moments. I was also surprised by how nice the view was, given the planet's current location in Libra, and thus for me a maximum altitude of 39 degrees.

Observation was at 2 am PDT (9:00 UT) on 27.3.13. The scope is based on an f/5.9 mirror ground by Ed Beck and reputed to be refigured by Carl Zambuto; it sports a nice 2.1 inch secondary from Protostar. Eyepiece was a Pentax 3.5mm XW for 530X.

Edited by george golitzin (03/31/13 09:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Saturn in a 12.5, wed morning 3-27 new [Re: george golitzin]
      #5769701 - 03/31/13 08:57 PM

nice sketch. i have noticed a blunting at the pole and your drawing reveals that the pole is darkened. i see plenty of ring detail not visible in my scope too. Makes me eager to save up the money to buy a z12 someday.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Saturn in a 12.5, wed morning 3-27 new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5770177 - 04/01/13 05:47 AM

That's pretty much same view I had of Saturn last Saturday morning at about 5am, with my view a bit more tilted as it had moved since 2 am. I let my scope cool for 2 hours before I went in my backyard to view it. I used my 7mm Pentax XW + 2" GSO barlow element + 2" blue fireball extension tube, which gives me roughly 300x.

Nice sketch!

Cheers,

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5770187 - 04/01/13 06:05 AM

A most impressive sketch. Thanks for the view.

Rich (RLTYS)

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
Re: Saturn in a 12.5, wed morning 3-27 new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5770512 - 04/01/13 11:07 AM

That's a great sketch and the features you were able to notice at 500x magnification indicate a very good mirror regardless of the pedigree.

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Saturn in a 12.5, wed morning 3-27 [Re: nirvanix]
      #5770916 - 04/01/13 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone! I haven't said goodbye to Jupiter yet, but it was nice to say hello to Saturn, and I really enjoyed the opportunity for a crisp view, since these have been few and far between lately. I was quite surprised at how dark the polar region was.

-geo

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
      #5786328 - 04/08/13 04:21 PM

George,

Excellent sketch of Saturn. Seeing that supported 530x must have been special. Catching Encke's minima is cool. I'll be looking for that the next time I get great seeing. I wonder if at that power the hex feature at the pole would be visible. I never heard of anyone actually seeing this but maybe it's possible.

Thanks for posting. Dean

george golitzin
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Saturn in a 12.5, wed morning 3-27 new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #5787239 - 04/09/13 01:39 AM

Thanks Dean. I was really struck by how dark the polar region was, but I didn't get close to resolving the hexagon feature. That's shown up nicely in some recent photos though--it is the weirdest thing.

I'm hoping to get a couple more good nights this apparition--Saturn is so low for us northerners, but once in a while, one might hope for a clear view.

-geo

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 762

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics