Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1
Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
I never noticed this before ?
      #5773821 - 04/02/13 07:45 PM

Thought this might be a good place to post.

I noticed some thing interesting tonight. It happened while wearing my reading glasses in the dark.
I'd had just adjusted my binocular eyepieces, and forgot I was wearing glasses. When I brought the binoculars up to my eyes, the binos bumped the glasses up higher up on my nose. A moment later, I suddenly noticed I could instantly make out patterns of the Constellations. Only the brightest stars in the sky seemed to remain, as my reading glasses had defocused all of them.
If you wear glasses for reading, and, or are learning the night sky, try this for fun, it might even be helpful ? ? ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
psi_chemie
sage

Reged: 05/01/11

Loc: Leawood, KS, USA
Re: I never noticed this before ? new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5774394 - 04/02/13 11:09 PM

Interesting- do you mean it was an afterimage that you saw, kinda like after looking at a bright light and closing your eyes..but you did this with stars?

pogobbler
sage

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
Re: I never noticed this before ? new [Re: psi_chemie]
      #5774680 - 04/03/13 03:36 AM

That makes me think of constellation photographs where some sort of diffusing filter is put over the lens producing halos that are only noticeable around the brightest stars, making them stand out, thus making the constellation pattern more noticeable. Same principal with both.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: I never noticed this before ? new [Re: pogobbler]
      #5774957 - 04/03/13 09:11 AM

LOL, got disgusted with paying $600 for glasses, H*ll, that's the price of an Ethos! Went to Wally World and ended up with distance and reading for less than the old optician. High quality frames, Zeiss 1.5 refraction lenses, etc. Didn't know I was getting a new astro toy. Have to try your trick

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: I never noticed this before ? new [Re: Geo.]
      #5775108 - 04/03/13 10:01 AM

Sounds like a dark sky problem I don't know your location though.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: I never noticed this before ? new [Re: psi_chemie]
      #5775270 - 04/03/13 11:09 AM

Quote:

Interesting- do you mean it was an afterimage that you saw, kinda like after looking at a bright light and closing your eyes..but you did this with stars?

No.

Think of it this way: by looking at the sky with reading glasses, all of those point sources were defocused as if they were converted to nebulae with an angular dimension of perhaps a couple of arc minutes.

Because the surface brightness of each of the stars was now much lower than it was when visible as a point, the dim stars disappeared into the background leaving only the brighter stars still visible.

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 370

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics