Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SKYGZR
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/14/09

Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy...
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load new [Re: Phil Sherman]
      #5771177 - 04/01/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

I think the Atlas will handle your load but you'll have settling time issues. I'm running 14.5kg on my atlas and haven't had any issues.

The new Atlas AZEQ Pro has a slightly higher weight limit but might be just over your budget. Another consideration is that it's a brand new mount and there isn't much user experience available yet.

If you're looking at AP with the mount, don't forget to add in whatever mount control software you'll need. One great advantage is the Synta mounts (including the Atlas and Sirius) is the availability of EQASCOM (aka EQMOD). Combine this with CdC and PhD and you have a full set of mount control software that's all available as free downloads from the web.Phil

Yup, what he said...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load new [Re: neptun2]
      #5771352 - 04/01/13 05:51 PM

Now that's the best idea I've heard - my suggestion. The larger 150 scope will be an improvement - but reality is the 120 will be a lot of scope and do a great job target dependent.

Having a good HD mount is a joy and makes everything so much easier. If you can go to a high end mount - and still be happy with the imaging of the existing scope - DO IT. Buy it without the tripod if you can - save the money. Spend it on a good pier. Nothing like having a SOLID pier under you. Unless you plan to travel with the outfit.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5771487 - 04/01/13 07:08 PM

If anything would help this venture, if you can't put a lot of money into a mount, then stay as at short a focal length as you can and stay light. Longer focal lengths and heavier telescopes are what will push to much heavier mounts. If your rig is light enough and you aren't trying to do long exposures, then an Atlas can be a dream mount.

-Rich

neptun2
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/04/07

Loc: Bulgaria
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5772147 - 04/02/13 04:13 AM

Yes i see that with my HEQ5. Previous setup on the same mount was 8" f/5 newtonian plus piggybacked ST-80 refractor.The whole setup was around 12kg and was hard to balance. The mount was overloaded and i frankly never got good results from it. Now with the refractor and off-axis guiding the system is around 7 kg and the difference is huge. Mount is the same but i can take 10 minute subs without any problem. I really like my evostar 120 refractor so it is not urgent to upgrade. Well i will try to get first high end mount that can handle 150mm APO properly and in the future upgrade the scope. Thanks for the help and clear skies to all.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load new [Re: neptun2]
      #5772796 - 04/02/13 12:25 PM

The best optics in the world are useless if the mount can't handle them. 150mm might be nice, but you really need a mount to handle the beast due to weight and length. I would upgrade you mount and continue to work with your 120mm for now. You will be happier and spend less in the long run that way.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load new [Re: EFT]
      #5773155 - 04/02/13 03:32 PM

Ed, really good advice. I saw the same thing with my CGEM. Went big, around 35# with 10" SCT, piggybacked refractor, CCD, etc, and it was a PITA. Reduced it down to a 5" SCT and a finder-guider? It was a dream.

Buy the best mount you can. And, if you can't afford the mount for the scope, wait or go with a smaller scope.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Mount for astrophotography and around 18kg load [Re: Raginar]
      #5773868 - 04/02/13 08:01 PM

+1 for Ed's advice. Depending on the camera that the OP uses, increasing focal length might not bring any real advantages anyway. Much better to invest on a higher end mount and then upgrade the optics at a later time. Based on my experience the mount and the camera are the two most important factors when doing AP.
The optics are important but as long as they are decent - and the 120ED I believe is highly regarded - they are fine.

Andy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1560

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics