Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5777270 - 04/04/13 10:07 AM

Face it, the Chinese are coming into the hi-end refractor market whether you want them or not. The masses cannot afford the hi-end USA made scopes. There will always be people willing to pay too much for a 'brand name'. Enough to keep the USA industry alive? Probably not after the 'soak the rich' taxes arrive.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5777405 - 04/04/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

Use google translate. It's free and not too bad.

Regards,

Jim

Quote:

Verwenden Sie Google Translate. Es ist kostenlos und nicht so schlimm.

Regards,

Jim

--------------------
"Ich beobachte stellvertretend durch mich. Wenn ich ein neues Teleskop zu kaufen, ist es Wert steigt. Bei star Parteien Linie Teilnehmer auf mich zu beobachten. Meine Beobachtung Philosophie: Finden Sie heraus, was es ist, dass Ihr Teleskop nicht gut tun, dann nicht tun, diese Dinge. Am historischen Observatorien darf ich das Gerät berühren. Meine Legende eilt mir den Weg der Big Bang vorangeht alles andere. "

- The Most Interesting Astronom im Universum

Much better!
Rex

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: tomcody]
      #5777455 - 04/04/13 11:24 AM

Is he a multi language expert?????????????????

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: B. Cook]
      #5777472 - 04/04/13 11:35 AM

I have to agree with Jim and Gord. Testing goes a long way to removing emotion, bias and doubt. Rohr's testing is second to none for the amateur community, but even putting up Roddier Test results would go along way to establishing Istars potential. Easy to do and the group software does the work...

http://www.cityastronomy.com/roddier-6inchachro.htm

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/22/08

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: t.r.]
      #5778072 - 04/04/13 04:27 PM

EXCELLENT
Thé right tests to do easily.
Stanislas Jean

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: B. Cook]
      #5778211 - 04/04/13 05:50 PM

Quote:

Is he a multi language expert?????????????????

If you are referring to me? No, but I am a BIG Meade Fan! (believe it!)
Rex

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? *DELETED* [Re: tomcody]
      #5778683 - 04/04/13 10:00 PM

Post deleted by KWB

Edited by mikey cee (04/04/13 10:02 PM)

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: mikey cee]
      #5778701 - 04/04/13 10:16 PM

Mike,
While I empathize with your post, I respectfully request that in the future, you make your post in response to one of those that you disagree with. I posted only to show that there are Meade Fans!
P.S. Until I bought my FS128, I was considering an Istar, they appear to be very interesting scopes based on all the happy owners.

Edited by tomcody (04/04/13 10:20 PM)

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
      #5778753 - 04/04/13 10:59 PM

No Rex not referring to you. I was giving Jim an ata boy for his Google translation into German. Pretty cool. Never knew that could be done. Learn something everyday.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5778795 - 04/04/13 11:28 PM

I love Astro-Foren even though reading the Google Translation gives me a head ache after about 15 minutes.
However the only thing it seems to suggest is, that many refractor optics are almost as variable as SCT optics.

mikey cee
Postmaster

#5778816 - 04/04/13 11:48 PM

Sorry Tom didn't intend to reply to your post. Just a lazy habit of e replying off of the last post. I'm quite sure there are happy Meade folks and because I don't own that brand I make no comments about it. Mike

john@dps

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: Granada Hills, CA
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: mikey cee]
      #5778849 - 04/05/13 12:34 AM

Well I'm no expert in any way, but I can tell you, anyone trying to make a good product for about a 1000 clams has my vote. I beleive that if you have 5000 clams to spend, that you should'nt worry about what us regular folks are interested in buying or what a company is trying to make to sell us.

I still find it hard to beleive that some people think that trying to do right, and make a product at a good price the best it can be made is wrong. Yes the lenses may not be perfect, but for 1000 clams what did you expect a triplet. I love how some people say they wont buy it unless its perfect.

I can't remember the last time I bought something for 1000 dollars that was perfect. OOhh and by the way I would suggest that you get use to buying chinese, the tag on the back of your shirt says that.

John

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Reged: 01/29/12

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: john@dps]
      #5778885 - 04/05/13 01:10 AM

CA expected on Istar Refractors?

Kevin Barker

Reged: 04/22/09

Loc: Auckland, NZ
      #5778922 - 04/05/13 02:19 AM

Good post!!
Whilst I suspect that a high quality big aperture Chinese refractor may not be that much cheaper as say an American one. I do think Istar has and still is copping quite a bit of unsolicited flack from some quarters.

Particularly when it comes from supposition and not substantiated facts.

Further to this if the posters who think Istar or other Chinese lenses should be tested by German interferometers keep harking on then perhaps it is time for one of them to put there money where there mouth is and organise a few samples to be tested. Otherwise belt up.

Having said this surely these experts can organise a more local i.e US/Canadian arrangement??

As I have said before in a previous thread I am old enough to remember Japanese engineered cars being type cast as "Jap *BLEEP*" etc. Not heard much anymore, funny that!!

China is well on the way to becoming a superpower in more ways than just economics. Whether they are there yet in well priced large aperture, fast refractors remains to be seen.

Kevin Barker

stanislas-jean
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/22/08

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: Kevin Barker]
      #5779070 - 04/05/13 07:54 AM

Do you feel OK with test results performed by some not independant?
From a lab to an other the results will be not the same strictly and somtimes deeply.
This is not a pure application of a tool and push a button.
People having used the roddier test for example must do lot of prior tests before getting something pertinent.
Apart the governement laboratory involvement, I feel this will be "OK corall".
The more stupid thing I read here on the forum.
Stanislas-Jean

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: stanislas-jean]
      #5779268 - 04/05/13 10:06 AM

Looks like the Istar Comet hunters are a nice series of Achro-refractors... would certainly like to read a test-report

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: stanislas-jean]
      #5779296 - 04/05/13 10:20 AM

Stanislas-Jean,
I am having trouble understanding what you are trying to say (I guess english is not your first language?), so if I am misstating you? I apologize in advance.
As I read and understand your post you are saying that having other labs test lens would lead to "OK-Corral" which I take to mean a problem with differing results. So what? Kevin was questioning the need to send lens and scopes all the way to Germany for testing rather than using a U.S. based lab. (I see no mention to "government" testing anywhere in his post?) I concur with Kevin and as far a I can tell astro-foren has not had its tests peer reviewed so some other lab's testing might be helpful for all.

Also for all those who think it is important to have these results (for whatever reason?), I stand with the "put your money on the line" crowd and say buy one of whatever brand you find questionable and send it to whatever lab you trust for testing, don't expect someone else to do the work or spend the money for you.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (04/05/13 10:50 AM)

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#5779315 - 04/05/13 10:27 AM

Quote:

Well I'm no expert in any way, but I can tell you, anyone trying to make a good product for about a 1000 clams has my vote. ........

John

Trying to make a good product is not enough. Success is required.

Folks simply want something other than anecdotal evidence that the Istar optics are a good product. That's not unreasonable since this product is being marketed as above average quality at above average prices.

dan

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5779362 - 04/05/13 10:49 AM

Philco:
Read a few chapters in Suiters book and get mentored in the field by someone with a good background in optics. It won't make you an RChristian but you can quickly determine for yourself the quality of an objective. I've had "fussy" :>) apo guys look thru both my Istar lenses at 50x/inch and they were of the opinion that these are essentially as good as an achromat can be made for their size. Of course we were using Brandon ep's

mikey cee
Postmaster

Re: Istar refractors Pros and Cons? [Re: Jim Curry]
      #5779693 - 04/05/13 02:00 PM

Obviously the Brandons are bringing nothing to the table except a high quality delivery of everything the objective has to offer...can't do any better than that! Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
37 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11679

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics