Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: The usual ones. Age and price new [Re: roy26]
      #5793017 - 04/11/13 06:24 PM

Enjoy

Here in the UK, the rain never seems to end.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
roy26

Reged: 12/13/11

Re: The usual ones. Age and price new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5814893 - 04/22/13 09:37 AM

I managed to screw up the the diopter focuser when trying to unstick it. It happened to jam when I was focusing the finder; it just seemed to fuse. With the help of a big brawny guy we managed to get it moving again; it stuck again later and we were unable to shift it. We bent the very thin adapter tube, so I am now waiting for a new one from Company7. There was another thread from a guy with a similar problem, so it wasn't just me. Are the tolerances so fine that surfaces can weld themselves together? Bear in mind that I did not tighten the finder focus down hard. I propose to introduce some teflon oil in it when the new one arrives.
By the way, my wife thinks its a big improvement on the SPC8 and the vixen GEM mount and tripod. We had a good look at the moon before cloudy skies and the image was very sharp. I had the Q on a piggyback mount on the SPC8 and could go from one scope to the other. Surprisingly, I felt that the Q was very well able to hold its own in respect of detail. I may have to get a Classic!

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Re: The usual ones. Age and price new [Re: roy26]
      #5817834 - 04/23/13 03:45 PM

I wouldn't use an oil, teflon or otherwise, unless I knew it would not out-gas or migrate.

I use DuPont Krytox 240AC grease. Pricey but worth it and a little goes a long way.

roy26

Reged: 12/13/11

Re: The usual ones. Age and price new [Re: EddWen]
      #5869334 - 05/18/13 01:30 PM

I took the Q out to look at some ospreys which nest not far from me and all who had a look were impressed, even the warden of the area. He reckoned he could read the ring markings. I could see the ring but not the letters. This was around 500m plus on a day with heat shimmer.

I got a view of Saturn too the other night and it was very sharp although small and the lunar landscape is also very sharp. I did a side by side with my SC8 which is a good scope and... As it is written "The scope you use most is the best one for you." I do seem to be using the smaller one more.When I get round to building a small observatory (hopefully)I will keep the big one set up. Bottom line is that it is really handy to be able to put it up so easily I guess I'm sold on the Q and will now try to get a 3.5 standard for astro use.Thanks to all posters. That's all folks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2260

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics