Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: KAF-8300 questions? new [Re: blueman]
      #5785903 - 04/08/13 12:44 PM

Both my FLI and QSI show similar patterns in the flats. Isn't that actually caused by imperfections on the chip itself?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kevin Nelson
Vendor (QSImaging)

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Southern California
Re: KAF-8300 questions? new [Re: DeanS]
      #5786821 - 04/08/13 08:48 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

All sensors will exhibit some visible artifacts if you look closely enough. The vertical pattern visible in Blueman's master flat is typical of KAF-8300 sensors, but more importantly it's nothing to worry about. The variability between the light dark bands is likely on the order of 0.1% of the signal level. The key is that the artifact will be consistent at any given temperature and exposure time (or signal level for flats) and will therefore calibrate out using the standard image calibration techniques, which were developed specifically to deal with the real-world issues of digital image sensors.

I've attached a roughly equivalent master flat made from 30 flats and 30 matching flat darks from a QSI 683 at -10C. You can also download the FITS file from this link:

www.qsimaging.com/files/QSI-683-601205-10C-Master-Flat-F1.zip

Kevin
www.QSImaging.com

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: KAF-8300 questions? new [Re: DeanS]
      #5786891 - 04/08/13 09:18 PM

You must rememeber that the chip is a whole lot of columns of pixels and they are all separated by spaces so there is always a pattern to an imaging chip. Some show this more than others. But this is pattern noise that must be removed if you wish to have a properly calibrated image.

There can be other types too. Some chips will have polishing marks that show up as arcs or lines. Plus the chip does not have an absolutely equal response, so there will be brighter areas and darker ones.

Blueman
Quote:

Both my FLI and QSI show similar patterns in the flats. Isn't that actually caused by imperfections on the chip itself?

Zoeff
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/10/09

Loc: Haarlem, Netherlands
Re: KAF-8300 questions? new [Re: blueman]
      #5789298 - 04/09/13 10:53 PM

Quote:

You must rememeber that the chip is a whole lot of columns of pixels and they are all separated by spaces so there is always a pattern to an imaging chip.

Curious, how would that create such a grid pattern? Are you saying that the space between the pixels varies?

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: KAF-8300 questions? new [Re: Zoeff]
      #5790462 - 04/10/13 02:28 PM

more likely these patterns are the result of chip structures or fabrication issues that affect the QE of certain columns differently than others. it doesn't make much sense to talk of spaces between the capacitors as being part of the final image. two columns may be separated by some distance on the chip but the resultant pixels for those columns are right next to one another in the final image.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, droid, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3157

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics