Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5761981 - 03/28/13 09:26 AM

2 weeks ago the comet was easy. Its not so much any more. Its faint and it never went really high. Overall not as impressed as I thought it would be. I saw it 3 times and I can say that its brightness has decreased by a lot.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sonomajfk

Reged: 06/30/12

Loc: northern CA, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5762516 - 03/28/13 02:39 PM

Steve, I agree, local viewing conditions are the determining factor. Last night, we had very good conditions as a front had just blown through the area. I was able to walk out on our back deck and immediately pick up the comet in 15 x 70's.
Other nights I had no or very limited success depending on the atmosphere and cloud cover. If you haven't seen it, keep trying!
John.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Sonomajfk]
      #5763839 - 03/29/13 08:32 AM

I agree, it's worth the effort. A friend of mine told me that he finally found it but it was further North than he thought. Rather than searching around where the sun sets, start there and move northwards.

I have the Boston skyline in the background and I can still see it with low power binoculars, quite easily. With binoculars, if you can see a couple of stars in the region, then you can see the comet. The comet still stands out more easily than many of the stars visible.

GamesForOne
sage

Reged: 09/29/09

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jae]
      #5764006 - 03/29/13 09:31 AM

Quote:

With binoculars, if you can see a couple of stars in the region, then you can see the comet. The comet still stands out more easily than many of the stars visible.

I have the opposite opinion as I can find stars quite easily, but have had more difficulty spotting the comet over the last week.

The latest spaceweather.com post says estimates of mag +2.3 -- I'd estimate it more like mag +5. I observed the comet last night at ~9 deg elevation and found the diffuse core was fainter than pi Andromedae (mag +4.3) -- closer to the brightness of nearby HJ5451.

It was difficult to spot against the horizon glow in 25x100's. I could also spot it with my handheld 15x70's once I knew where to look, but it was more easily seen with averted vision in the 15x70's and was not very bright with direct vision.

---
Michael Mc

johndgaul

Reged: 05/19/11

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: GamesForOne]
      #5771683 - 04/01/13 08:57 PM

Perfectly clear crisp skies in South Norfolk (52 degrees N), UK, this evening. Not a cloud to be seen.

Spectacular view of the comet against the starfield through Nikon 20x120s.

A lot dimmer than when seen from Central London in the twilight back on 13 March, but brilliant contrast against the darker sky, showing a beautiful fan tail. Brighter than the Andromeda Galaxy a bit more than a binocular field (3 degrees) higher up.

Also easily spotted in 8x32s (as was the AG).

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: johndgaul]
      #5772150 - 04/02/13 04:25 AM

You've wetted my appetite to have another try this evening, John, if this beautiful weather keeps up.

ianatcn

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
      #5772328 - 04/02/13 08:35 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

John, I was out last night in the south of UK. I have attached a copy of photo I took as it most closely resembles the view of both objects through 10x50 binoculars.

This was the first time since 13 March that the weather has allowed me to view the comet.

I was using 15x60 Zeiss to sweep it up in twilight and it was easier to see initially than the AG. I then had my 40x80 Docter in action on its new UA T-Mount light. That showed the considerable tail and the condensed nucleus very well.

The night was so good that that I spent the next couple of hours sweeping through Perseus, Auriga, Taurus, Gemini and finished in Leo. The Leo triplet was a lovely sight in the Docter, as where the four galaxies of the Leo 1 group. NGC3628 and 3384 being the most difficult but easily held at 40x.

This comet has been a real tonic after a bad winters weather. I have also enjoyed this thread immensly. It is great to hear what others are doing in terms of practical observing with their binoculars.

johndgaul

Reged: 05/19/11

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ianatcn]
      #5773284 - 04/02/13 04:34 PM

Mark, yeah go for it! I'd almost said goodbye to PANSTARRS, but I wanted to show my family I was staying with over Easter, so got out and glimpsed it through gaps in low-lying cloud on 31 March. But yesterday was much better, a beaut, so clear - what a surprise!

Ian, thanks for sharing that fantastic photo, and your story. The picture perfectly captures the view.

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5773376 - 04/02/13 05:06 PM

We didn't get a repeat of yesterday's nice clear sky; it was more the usual drab semi-clear sky and the only thing fooling me into some moderate optimism was the Winter Constellations' higher number of bright stars. In the direction of the comet, beta And was the only star visible to the naked eye.

Nevertheless I got to see the comet this evening between 21:30 and 22:00 local time, with my 15x60 binoculars and with my 107mm apo at 20x magnification. In both instruments it (barely) shared the FOV with the slightly dimmer Andromeda Galaxy. The comet had a very bright nucleus and a fan shaped tail.

It should have been a very nice view, but unfortunately it was largely ruined by low altitude haze reflecting a large amount of orange light pollution. Still happy that I saw it!

Edited by Mark9473 (04/02/13 05:08 PM)

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5773591 - 04/02/13 06:04 PM

My daughter just texted me from Oxfordshire telling me she just got a few photos of PANSTARR alongside the Andromeda Galaxy.

I told her she must be short of something useful to do! :-)

Kenny

Space Dragon

Reged: 02/19/12

Loc: Scotland UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ianatcn]
      #5774695 - 04/03/13 04:07 AM

Our Western horizon had been consistently cloudy for weeks, enough to prevent me from seeing the comet.
Last night, however was clear and I was surprised at how easy it was in my TS Marine 15x70s.
With Andromeda above and a line of trees below it was a great sight and with averted vision the tail was maybe just under 1.
A satisfying find.

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #5775065 - 04/03/13 09:44 AM

I am glad you British Isles guys are finally getting some clear sky. Special thanks to Ian for that stunning photo with M31 and a meteor trail too! Since a couple of good early views, conditions have been rotten here in Merry Olde New Mexico.
Ron

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ronharper]
      #5775449 - 04/03/13 12:26 PM

Finally, a clear night after a month of waiting! Saw it and M31 in the same field of my Bresser 10 x 50 Xtrawide clone. It's a least a magnitude brighter than M31. Once found, I could see it in the Minolta 6 x 18UC in spite of the industrial murk.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: KennyJ]
      #5775524 - 04/03/13 01:07 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

My daughter just texted me from Oxfordshire telling me she just got a few photos of PANSTARR alongside the Andromeda Galaxy.

If you meant that she had TAKEN those photos, then please post them here Kenny.

As for yourself, it looks like it's clearing over the UK at the moment, Kenny. Go for it! Here's a chart where to look about 1.5 hours after sunset.

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5776027 - 04/03/13 05:33 PM

Mark,

Thanks for that very clear chart.

I've only just back home for musical rehearsals so missed the opportunity on what must be the clearest night I've seen here for many years.

My daughter sent me a link to that photo she took :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spicey_spiney/8614934866/in/photostream/

Kenny

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5776061 - 04/03/13 05:49 PM

That's an excellent photo; wish my view yesterday was as impressive.

Kenny, if you are ever going to see it, get up tomorrow morning 1,5 hours before sunrise and look in the North-East.
If you do have the clearest night in years, and a very good horizon, go out right now and look for it; the comet is circumpolar at our latitudes.

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5776137 - 04/03/13 06:25 PM

I will go out in a few minutes and take a look before retiring for the night.

Presumably around North North Westerly direction now ?

1.5 hours BEFORE sunrise will be around 5am -- too early even for me when I'm working all day!

Cheers,
Kenny

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5776159 - 04/03/13 06:44 PM

No joy,Mark.

I'd momentarily forgotten what a poor direction that horizon is for viewing from here,with the city lights of Preston 4 miles NW and NNW washing out the sky.

The NE horizon is even worse,with tall trees and lights from a 24 hour operational industrial Brewery and a British Aerospace factory.

Not to worry,it's a bit like "After the Lord Mayor's Show" syndrome anyway now,given how much more prominent the comet was three weeks ago.

If it were truly meant to have been seen from our house,I'd have seen it before now,but it wasn't to be.

Farewell,PANSTARR - bon voyage!

J. Barnes

Reged: 04/11/09

Loc: Kalispell, Montana
      #5777517 - 04/04/13 12:03 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Finally a break in the clouds and got a good view around 4:30 this morning. This image is pretty close to what I saw through my Fuji's.

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogot - La Calera / Colombia
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: J. Barnes]
      #5777736 - 04/04/13 01:27 PM

great photo!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12708

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics