Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
caplaur
journeyman

Reged: 03/27/13

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm
      #5776100 - 04/03/13 06:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I need a high power EP for my 8" f/5.9 dob, and I was almost decided to buy a 8mm Astro-Tech Paradigm (CDN$70 at my local retailer), but somebody told me about 8mm Hyperion with the fine tune rings (CDN$140). Obviously with Baader H plus FTR you got practically 3EPs, but does the EP quality jusify the price difference ? Did somebody have the chance to compare them ?

Thank you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: caplaur]
      #5776205 - 04/03/13 07:02 PM

I've had the 8mm Hyperion with the rings and sold it. The rings are a nice idea in theory but in the field a PITA. Also found the 8 wasn't that sharp just couldn't get clear focus like I could with other similar FL eyepieces ES 6.7 and XW 7, and I use an f8 refractor. The AT 8 is what I would buy no contest.
Matt

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: Messyone]
      #5776650 - 04/03/13 10:25 PM

I've never had a Baader Hyperion because of the reviews here, but based upon my experience with a 15mm Paradigm, I would go with the Paradigm.

Dave

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: russell23]
      #5776695 - 04/03/13 10:50 PM

If you were willing to spend that much on a EP, then you might as well buy an Explore Scientific -- but that's just my opinion.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #5776774 - 04/03/13 11:34 PM

I would completely skip the Hyperions and get something better.

wirenut
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: m'dale Pa
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5777449 - 04/04/13 11:19 AM

When the hyperion EPs came out they were a great deal at $100 and highly recommended. Now days that has changed with their price increase and the new ES 82˚ EP's hitting the market. The hyperions are good but aren't a premium EP so I can't see it offering a view good enough for twice the money but only a direct comparison can say that for sure.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: wirenut]
      #5777493 - 04/04/13 11:46 AM

Apples and Oranges.

The AT paradigm is a sharp 6 element design with a 60 degree field. Small and light, it's a nice eyepiece for an inexpensive price. Good for lunar and planetary use and more enjoyable to use than a basic Plossl.

The Baader Hyperion is a reasonable 8-element eyepiece with a 68 degree field and 20mm of eye relief.
The Baader is also threaded on top for camera adapters to do afocal photography, accepts 2" and 1.25" filters, is usable in 2" or 1.25" focusers without an adapter, and can be modified with rings and barrel extenders to have other magnifications.
It is a decent eyepiece and works very well at f/6 and longer. The 8" dob would be a good match for the eyepiece.
At f/5 and below, the eyepiece starts suffering from progressively larger amounts of edge-of-field astigmatism, just like the Japanese eyepiece it was originally copied from.
It is very similar in performance to the AT AF70 series (which also is usable as a 2" or 1.25" eyepiece), but with more versatility.
I do not recommend using it as a 2" eyepiece with the bottom lens assembly removed, but it definitely is not as bad as some have painted it. It is even a decent spotting scope eyepiece, and does not have seriously objectionable distortion for daytime use.

The Paradigm, I have commented, would be my choice for a series of basic telescope eyepieces if you do not use glasses and if you do not find wider fields more enjoyable. Just remember that, in a dob, the narrower the field, the more often you have to move the scope. The Hyperion is more expensive, but you do get more.
The ES 82 series would be a good candidate if you really like the wider fields and if you don't wear glasses (they have shorter eye relief). There is an 8.8mm in the 82 degree series. The ES 82s, in 4.7-14mm, are 1.25" eyepieces.

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: Starman1]
      #5777762 - 04/04/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

The AT paradigm is a sharp 6 element design with a 60 degree field. Small and light, it's a nice eyepiece for an inexpensive price. Good for lunar and planetary use and more enjoyable to use than a basic Plossl.

1) The Paradigm, I have commented, would be my choice for a series of basic telescope eyepieces if you do not use glasses and if you do not find wider fields more enjoyable. Just remember that, in a dob, the narrower the field, the more often you have to move the scope.

2) The Hyperion is more expensive, but you do get more.

3) The ES 82 series would be a good candidate if you really like the wider fields and if you don't wear glasses (they have shorter eye relief). There is an 8.8mm in the 82 degree series. The ES 82s, in 4.7-14mm, are 1.25" eyepieces.

Easy as 1...2...3 Excellent summary

eklf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/12/07

Loc: Carrboro, NC
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: Starman1]
      #5779059 - 04/05/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

The Baader Hyperion ....
At f/5 and below, the eyepiece starts suffering from progressively larger amounts of edge-of-field astigmatism, just like the Japanese eyepiece it was originally copied from.

Hi Don,

Excellent summary as always!
Just a quick question. As quoted above, are you implying that LVW (which were copied by Hyperions) suffer from edge-of-field astigmatism like Hyperions? I extensively compared stratus and LVW in the 13mm flavor in an F5 reflector, and while I did find deterioration in the stratus in the outer 50% of the field, the LVW appeared to show only coma but no astigmatism.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Baader Hyperion with FTR or Astro-Tech Paradigm new [Re: eklf]
      #5779244 - 04/05/13 09:46 AM

In my experience, the LVWs also displayed astigmatism at the edge of the field, but, I agree, less than the Hyperions or other copies.
Note that the LVWs also have a slightly narrower field of view than most of the copies--wisely, I think.
It seems most manufacturers push designs a little too far, like 55-60 degrees in designs best left to 50 degrees, or 70 degrees in designs best at 60-65 degrees, and so on. And the last few degrees of field seems to be where they really break down, too.
Had the Konig designs of the '80s and '90s been left at 50 degrees, people might be extolling their sharpness now instead of Plossls.

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 682

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics