Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
question about mount settings new
      #5774293 - 04/02/13 10:12 PM

I was out the other night with my new cg5 mount and when I did a 2 star alignment and put in m57 not realizing that it was below the horizon, the mount kept going below the horizon, I had to turn it off in order the keep the scope from hitting the base. what adjustments would I have to make in order to control this. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: question about mount settings new [Re: donnie3]
      #5774327 - 04/02/13 10:30 PM

It's possible to filter the named object lists to show only objects above the horizon, but if you tell the mount to go to an object by catalog number, it will go there.

You don't need to turn the mount off if this happens. Hitting any direction button on the hand controller will stop a slew. Also, it shouldn't actually hurt anything for the mount to point below the horizon, as long as the counterweights are lower than the scope (and normally, the mount will limit motion so that can't happen).

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question about mount settings new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5774378 - 04/02/13 11:00 PM

wadeh237, how do you filter the named object lists. donnie

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

#5774424 - 04/02/13 11:24 PM

I tried to set the ra limits +0 for the west and +180 for the east but cant seem to get the third digit to come up. the manual is not detailed enough to explain how to program this in. I set the filter limit to +20. not sure if all this is correct. need some help please. donnie

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5774584 - 04/03/13 01:09 AM

I don't remember off the top of my head exactly how to set the filter limits. I do know that straight up is only 90 degrees, so that's the largest value that makes sense.

-Wade

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question about mount settings new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5775751 - 04/03/13 02:55 PM

is there anyone on this forum with a cg5 that can tell me how to set the filter limits and ra limits. thanks, donnie

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5776102 - 04/03/13 06:04 PM

The Ra limits should really be called hour angle limits. they don't control slewing but where the scope stops tracking when it approaches the meridian. The limits are the amount the scope can track past the meridian or slew to an object before the meridian. The maximum is +6 degrees, that's 6 degrees past the meridian. If you set it to negative values the scope will stop before it reaches the meridian.

The meridian mode is used to control how slews work to get to an object on either side of the meridian.

As for slew and filter limits, I think that limits of +90 to 0 will allow everything to be reached but not objects below the horizon.

This is complex because there are so many options and it's not easy to explain. I hope this helps but fear that it doesn't.

The best option is to set up the scope indoors, do a quick align and try things. As Wade says, pressing an arrow button will stop a slew. Running with no scope attached reduces the chance of running into things but keep an eye on where the mount is going. Leaving the clutches loose will prevent damage.

Chris

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question about mount settings [Re: cn register 5]
      #5776574 - 04/03/13 09:51 PM

thanks cn register 5 for that info, I will test it out as you explained. donnie

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 377

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics