Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread
      #5777393 - 04/04/13 11:00 AM

This originated from another thread but it sounds like there can be several different issues with connecting to NSN. I don’t want this thread to turn into a knock against NSN. It is purely a place for everyone to get help with various connection issues.

Here are the issues I am having.

1. My camera is designed to output over HDMI. It can output everything exactly how it looks on the LCD screen. However, it can only do it over HDMI with 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p resolutions.

The camera can output 480i over composite. However, it will only do that in playback mode. You would have to take still images and then play them back later. It is not really near real-time in this manner.

I tried outputting HDMI to an HDMI to RCA adapter. That actually works. However, it only produces a 480p signal instead of 480i. Most display devices cannot accept 480p over composite.

So I guess my main question is that I would like to know if there is any kind of adapter or capture device that can either convert 480p over HDMI to 480i over composite or a device that could convert 480p from composite to 480i on composite?

I could buy the $200 Black Magic HDMI capture device but I would like to spend less than $100 on this. Does anyone know of an HDMI capture device that would work with NSN and cost about $100?

I have both Macs and PCs with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 connections.

Edited by mpgxsvcd (04/04/13 11:01 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5777490 - 04/04/13 11:45 AM

It looks like it is actually easier to convert HDMI to RCA 480i than to capture directly from HDMI. I just ordered the converter below.

Hopefully this will be able to take the 480p signal in and convert it to 480i.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EDXISK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #5777893 - 04/04/13 02:55 PM

Cant you just run manycam/splitcam/webcammax as a screen capture of your live preview? It isnt as clean as your solution, but you will find that flash and all the other stuff that goes with NSN will degrade your picture anyway.

I look forward to seeing a bcast with your Panny!

Andy

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: budman1961]
      #5778136 - 04/04/13 05:02 PM

Quote:

Cant you just run manycam/splitcam/webcammax as a screen capture of your live preview? It isnt as clean as your solution, but you will find that flash and all the other stuff that goes with NSN will degrade your picture anyway.

I look forward to seeing a bcast with your Panny!

Andy

The problem is that I can only output over HDMI on my camera. I don't have an HDMI capture card so I can't even get the signal into the computer without spending $200.

I guess a really simplistic solution would be to attach a webcam to the swivel LCD screen and broadcast through that. However, I think I can get the adapter that I bought to work.

We are going to try out this system tomorrow night. However, this is our first go at it so I really don't expect everything to work right. For one I don't know if we will have internet where we are going.

We are also going to bring a projector and hook up a Malincam to an 14" LX850 and my camera to my 8" 800mm F4.0 scope simultaneously. Then we can display the image from one of the scopes while the other scope is slewing, centering, and capturing. As soon as we are done observing with one scope we can switch to the other scope.

This also allows us to get the ultra small field of view of the 1/2" sensor on a 2800mm scope and the much wider 4/3" sensor on an 800mm scope simultaneously. It will be really cool to instantly switch from a field of view larger than the size of the entire Orion's nebula to a size smaller than the core of the nebula.

I imagine that when we get this setup working it will put on quite a spectacular show for both the live audience(Projector) and the internet audience(NSN).

And none of that included the possibly of letting everyone connect directly to my camera via wireless and viewing it on their individual phones or tablets. Since my camera puts out a local hotspot I think you can let several if not many devices connect to it at once.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

#5778391 - 04/04/13 07:13 PM

That sounds like a plan! I have a Mallincam Hyper Plus Color, and a Canon 450D that I broadcast with. I use DSSLive for the DSLR, and have really had some fun broadcasts!

Welcome to the NSN Community!

Andy
Andy in MO (NSN handle)

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5778550 - 04/04/13 08:58 PM

Oh. I thought this was the "we don't like you so your banned" from NSN thread

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5778651 - 04/04/13 09:39 PM

AFAIK, no one has been banned from NSN. All the broadcasts that I have watched are done by earnest and knowledgable hosts using many different cameras and other equipment. New (and sometimes experienced) users can receive advice and guidance. As it is, it is a golden resource available to all and kudos to Travis for wanting to partake. Some others should follow his lead and troop out their equipment and claims (like f1.5 reducers).

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5778946 - 04/05/13 03:12 AM

Dave,

Really?

We all know who you are, and certainly add NOTHING to the discussion. You know why you aren't on NSN, don't blame it on anyone than yourself.

Don't you have something better to do with your time? Stirring the pot is unproductive, wait, thats right up your alley.

Have fun.......

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

#5779442 - 04/05/13 11:37 AM

The HDCP(Copy Protection) is giving me fits with trying to get it from HDMI to RCA. Why would a camera that only records content that I own have stronger Copy Protection than the Xbox 360 that can play major motion pictures in HD?

I think my only option is to buy a device that strips out the copy protection from the HDMI signal.

I am going to test the Black Magic HDMI capture device tonight. If it does strip out the copy protection then I will buy that. If not then I will get a slightly less expensive device that does it.

Does anyone know of a good inexpensive usb 2.0 composite capture device that works with NSN for a Windows PC?

Does this one work with NSN?

EasyCAP DC60

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H3BSCM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

Edited by mpgxsvcd (04/05/13 11:37 AM)

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

#5779602 - 04/05/13 01:00 PM

Travis,

I have an Easycap, and it works fine with NSN, and functions on both PC and Mac. There a TON of knockoff easycaps out there, check this out, its got a lot of good info on how to tell the real one from a Chinese clone.

Andy

Chris A
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: Toronto, Canada
      #5779681 - 04/05/13 01:55 PM

Travis I have also used both Easycap and Dazzle when connecting to NSN and both gave excellent results. I give you credit for not giving up and trying so hard to get connected to NSN with your camera. I know once your on you will be very happy and it's rewarding to show all around the world your wonderful views.

All the best!

Chris A
Astrogate

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: Chris A]
      #5779726 - 04/05/13 02:20 PM

Ditto Chris!

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: Chris A]
      #5779755 - 04/05/13 02:30 PM

Quote:

Travis I have also used both Easycap and Dazzle when connecting to NSN and both gave excellent results. I give you credit for not giving up and trying so hard to get connected to NSN with your camera. I know once your on you will be very happy and it's rewarding to show all around the world your wonderful views.

All the best!

Chris A
Astrogate

Thanks, I appreciate that comment. I will get it to work one way or another.

I found out something interesting the other day. My older GH2 camera would shut off the display when I went into the 10x lossless crop mode for focusing and fine tuning my alignment. However, I found out that my GH3 will maintain the live view even in the lossless crop mode over HDMI. This is one of the things that allows me to get pin point accuracy, focusing, and polar alignment and now I can demonstrate that feature as well.

I just need to figure out how to get the blasted HDMI feed into my computer. Does anyone know if NSN can display a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio?

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
      #5779943 - 04/05/13 03:41 PM

No cheap way as far as I can see. The Black Magic intensity video card is $200. Seems you can covert video to hdmi coming out of the computer easily (read cheaply), just not the other way. You can get a 16 X 9 aspect by using Manycams (Freeware) or Webcammax but it may have blank areas above and below the image which really isn't that big of a deal - observers can resize the window to make the image large enough.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5780282 - 04/05/13 06:17 PM

Just got a $40 adapter in the mail that works even with the hdcp in place. However, my capture device was delayed in the mail until tommorrow. I will try to test nsn tommorrow

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5781085 - 04/06/13 03:09 AM

Quote:

Dave,

Really?

We all know who you are, and certainly add NOTHING to the discussion. You know why you aren't on NSN, don't blame it on anyone than yourself.

Don't you have something better to do with your time? Stirring the pot is unproductive, wait, thats right up your alley.

Have fun.......

I have no idea what you are talking about. Apparantly i struck a nerve with somebody.

Your personal optinion is noted and filed.

Have fun and be safe out there trolling the cosmos.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Re: The “I need help connecting to NSN” thread new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5781100 - 04/06/13 03:23 AM

Have a great day dave.......Back to the discussion at hand.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

#5784337 - 04/07/13 05:12 PM

I got my capture card and everything works now. However, I keep getting a message that I cannot broadcast at this time when I try to login to NSN. Is there anyway to correct that?

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

#5784507 - 04/07/13 06:41 PM

Hmm, that's strange. Have you tried emailing NSN, or posting that message on the NSN Yahoo group?

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

#5785357 - 04/08/13 07:28 AM

Will try that next. I didn't have anytime this weekend and we had clouds.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid, David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1506

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics