Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Saxxon

Reged: 03/15/13

Loc: Juneau, Alaska, US
T2i Movie Crop .MOV
      #5777889 - 04/04/13 02:54 PM

I had written up a long and detailed list of questions due to my inability to find a good guide. But due to my lovely work computer I lost it all.

could someone possibly guide me in the right direction. I am looking for a guide for taking movie crop videos with my T2i and stacking them from .mov(or a decent free/effective way to convert - my attempts using a dozen converters never worked). The one time it did, and I attempted to stack, I ended up with a small black box.

I currently only have the camera, kit lens, and kit tripod(!!!!horrible!!!!). The videos I have taken so far have been pretty clear and detailed (not telescope detailed but not horrible)

What would be the ideal video time? 5-10-15 seconds? (no tracking)

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Castle

Reged: 01/27/11

Loc: Kocaeli, TURKEY
Re: T2i Movie Crop .MOV new [Re: Saxxon]
      #5778099 - 04/04/13 04:39 PM

As I remember, new version of Emil's AutoStakkert2 will support mov files but not sure if he implemented it. But there is a way that you can convert your .MOV file to .AVI format (you should disable audio, otherwise AS2 cannot open it). Here is the link: Super Video COnverter

I was also using my Canon T2i for my planetary works, you can see them in my G+ profile.
But I have a flea3 camera now, and not using my Canon DSLR for planetary works anymore

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: T2i Movie Crop .MOV new [Re: Castle]
      #5778202 - 04/04/13 05:42 PM

Not yet in the final verion, but stacking MOVs is available in the latest AutoStakkert!2 beta: http://www.astrokraai.nl/software/latest.html (download the MOV version)

I can't help you on how to create the MOVs in the first place though, but someone else probably can. One hint: the ideal video time would be as long as possible without the target moving out of the the field of view.

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: T2i Movie Crop .MOV new [Re: MvZ]
      #5779346 - 04/05/13 10:42 AM

Although the new beta version of AutoStakkert!2 does a good job of reading .mov files, I found that PIPP is a great first step to convert, crop and grade before stacking. This is particularly useful as the .avi files can be huge.

https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/

Bob

MvZ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/03/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: T2i Movie Crop .MOV new [Re: rkayakr]
      #5780187 - 04/05/13 05:17 PM

Be sure to not be too aggresive with tools like PIPP though. Throwing away too much data is not a good thing, you need to let the stacking program do its job to get the best results.

Say that you effectively want to stack 1000 frames per AP, then it is pretty much always a very good idea to keep (many) more than the 'best' 1000 frames according to PIPP. AutoStakkert!2 (and other stacking programs) use quality estimators that are local to the alignment point. This means that each AP will have it's own subset of stacks to work with. So if you just kept the best 1000 frames, it is very likely that you threw away frames that for one particular AP were better than those kept.

This is especially important the larger the object is. For Jupiter the effects will be small (but can still be significant!!), whilesst for the Sun or Moon the difference will likely be highely significant.

So if you plan to let another tool do a pre-quality estimation, ONLY let it throw away those frames that you are 100% sure don't contain any sharp portions that might be used by the stacking software.

Another thing to keep in mind is that quality estimators are not perfect, and AutoStakkert!2 might very well have other ideas about the quality of the frames as PIPP has. So again, if you let any software throw away frames, make sure it does not throw away frames that might be (partially) useful!

One more thing: for cropping and centering, there is no reason why you shouldn't use PIPP (although it likely won't improve the quality that comes out of AS!2, it might make processing much faster). If you do get significant quality improvement then you should probably rethink some AutoStakkert!2 settings (mainly quality estimation, or the size and location of the APs) to get better results still.

Edited by MvZ (04/05/13 05:22 PM)

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: T2i Movie Crop .MOV new [Re: MvZ]
      #5787744 - 04/09/13 10:17 AM

Emil
First - thanks for making AS!2 - it is a great tool.
WRT grading in PIPP - I do a first lose grade in PIPP and a second grade in AS!2. When doing captures with my T3i I have to hit the camera record button to start and stop. This means that I always have several seconds of vibration damaged images at both ends to toss out. I was manually clipping when converting with Canon's Zoom tool - but PIPP is a more convenient way to toss these out.
Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 595

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics