Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
DaveG

Reged: 12/28/03

Loc: Ohio
Collimation after swapping focuser?
      #5778429 - 04/04/13 07:44 PM

So I purchased a GSO two speed focuser to replace the single speed focuser on my new Vixen ED80sf. It seems to be a fairly simple process of swapping focusers, but has anyone had to collimate their scope after doing so?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Collimation after swapping focuser? new [Re: DaveG]
      #5778502 - 04/04/13 08:20 PM

I think unless there was something wrong with the collimation before you swapped the focusers, no collimation should be necessary.

DaveG

Re: Collimation after swapping focuser? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5778532 - 04/04/13 08:44 PM

Sounds good to me. Collimation is spot on right now.

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
      #5781301 - 04/06/13 08:47 AM

I've replaced the stock focuser on two refractors with Moonlites, without any resulting collimation issues. On the first scope, I think the collimation actually improved.

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Collimation after swapping focuser? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5781415 - 04/06/13 10:17 AM

Quote:

I think unless there was something wrong with the collimation before you swapped the focusers, no collimation should be necessary.

+1

If there was a noticeable degradation in the in-focus or out-of-focus star images after swapping focusers, my first inclination would be to make sure the focuser was lined up correctly on-axis and didn't need shimming. I wouldn't mess with the lens alignment to try to "correct" an issue that occurred after changing the focuser.

DaveG

Re: Collimation after swapping focuser? new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5782356 - 04/06/13 06:26 PM

Well, after swapping the focuser the collimation is absolutely perfect, maybe even better than what it was before. I placed the original single speed crayford on my Celestron 102GT and the collimation is perfect on it as well. Really happy and the GSO dual speed looks fantastic on the ED80.

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #5782463 - 04/06/13 07:24 PM

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
      #5788301 - 04/09/13 02:31 PM

This response is meant for anyone who comes here with a similar question and would like a basic understanding of why they might be having this problem (clearly your scope didn't have a problem so an explanation isn't necessary ).

*begin professorial pontification*

The purpose of collimation is to get the primary axis of your lens to be parallel with the primary axis of your eyepiece (or parallel to the surface normal of your CCD chip). Switching the focuser could cause collimation to change if there's enough play in how the focuser attaches to the scope.

This is also why you might notice collimation differences when you attach a camera that you didn't notice when you were observing: if your eyepiece holder and your camera don't attach to your focuser in such a way that their axis are very close to parallel, you'll get noticeable differences in collimation.

A quick napkin calculation: if an 80mm scope uses typical 1/4"-20 push-pull screws for its collimation, and if during collimation you are sensitive to screw rotation of 1/16th of a turn, then you're sensitive to a .05 degree deviation in the parallelism of these two axes of your scope. That's not a very large angle, and if you have a focuser that's not shall we say "precision"... it's not hard to get deviations like that. I know that if I loosen the screws which hold my focuser assembly to the sheetmetal tube of my scope I can wiggle it around and re-tighten it in any number of fantastical and possibly non-Euclidean angles which its designers may not have expressly intended.

*end professorial pontification*

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 508

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics