Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Meade Deep Sky Imager II
      #5779029 - 04/05/13 06:53 AM

Anyone have the Meade Deep Sky Imager II color camera? I am not talking about the original DSI cameras but the ones that came later. I am about to purchase one and want to know whether it gives good views on DSOs. Thanks.
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Meade Deep Sky Imager II new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5779066 - 04/05/13 07:53 AM

Quote:

Anyone have the Meade Deep Sky Imager II color camera? I am not talking about the original DSI cameras but the ones that came later. I am about to purchase one and want to know whether it gives good views on DSOs. Thanks.
Jim

They can do pretty well with adequate dark frames applied. These like the original DSI are uncooled. They are more alike the original than different, with just slightly larger chips, I recall.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Meade Deep Sky Imager II new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5779104 - 04/05/13 08:23 AM

Jim,

Same size SONY CCD type-1/2" image sensor as in few "popular" videocams mentioned here.

Active Cooling, especially on larger sized CCD, helps a lot for long exposure. Unmodified Meade DSI-II C does not have it.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Meade Deep Sky Imager II new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5779141 - 04/05/13 08:54 AM

By modern standards the DSI II gives fair images. The DSI II is basically a DSI I with a slightly larger chip; a Type 1/2 instead of a Type 1/3. In the family of small CCDs is actually does very well. It is small, lightweight, and very easy to use.

For camera-assisted observing it also does a fairly good job and Envisage is very well suited for real-time observing once you get the hang of it. The images are a tad soft, but not bad.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: Meade Deep Sky Imager II new [Re: jgraham]
      #5779239 - 04/05/13 09:43 AM

I had a DSI 2 Color.....IMHO, the Meade software is worse than bad. Unk was right, get a pot full of darks and you should be OK.

To me, it is a better guide camera than imager.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Meade Deep Sky Imager II new [Re: budman1961]
      #5779567 - 04/05/13 12:43 PM

I hear that a lot. I guess you either like Envisage or hate it, there t'ain't to many in between. I've always liked it and I have never seen any software better suited for camera assisted observing. I still make heavy use of Envisage with my DSI III and Pro III for observing. It is wonderful that we gave so many choices that there is a good chance that we can each find something that we like.

Enjoy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 455

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics