Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
mdowns
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
At least one refractor please!
      #5780437 - 04/05/13 08:17 PM Attachment (76 downloads)

For the past forty six years I’ve had and enjoyed many makes and designs of scopes. From that first 50mm Sears refractor to the DS16,the Meade 1266 RG to a wide varity of hand held 30mm spotters (balscope, tasco, B&H). Refractors, reflectors, scts and maks I’ve had real fun with all of them. Through all that time and all the different kinds (now 50 plus scopes) there’s always been one real constant. A refractor was always at hand or at least until the past six months. Six months or so ago I had the opportunity to get a CG11,my current workhorse, from a fellow cnighter. I have to say its been a’hoot’. The g11 has been splendid and the c11,when the air steadies, a real pleasure. However, in order to afford the cg11 I had to part with a bunch of items including my AR 1529 and my Orion ST 120. I was really starting to get a refractor ‘jones’. I still had my zhumell 118mm spotter and my home made, handheld 110mm spotter (jaegers f4.5) but no ‘in line’, carry the night kind of refractor.

Like a fish out of water I had to jump back into the refractor pool, be it the shallow end. I found a good deal on a CR6 and bit. Before it arrived I had secured a 2” baader semi apo filter to leave in the diagonal and have ordered a 2 speed crayford. The refractor arrived on Wednesday and wouldn’t you know, it’s been cloudy since. Nonetheless, after a passing cold front, the clouds are beginning to break and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for clear skies later on this evening. If not tonight, tomorrow and Sunday for sure I’ll have it trained on Jupiter, Saturn, the waning moon and open clusters aplenty. Clear skies and at least one refractor to everybody!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mdowns
Pooh-Bah

Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: mdowns]
      #5780440 - 04/05/13 08:19 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

another shot

mdowns
Pooh-Bah

#5780443 - 04/05/13 08:20 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

last one

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5780920 - 04/05/13 11:53 PM

Beautiful combination!
The Celestron looks great on your G11.

Steve

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: stevew]
      #5781218 - 04/06/13 07:31 AM

Good looking refractor! Always wanted to try the C6R!!! There are several scopes that have made an impact in the hobby...the C8, RV-6 and I believe the C6R is right there with them! Large aperture refractor goodness for the masses!

Catapoman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/06/03

Loc: VA
Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: stevew]
      #5781388 - 04/06/13 10:05 AM

Quote:

Beautiful combination!
The Celestron looks great on your G11.

Ditto...and Congrats!

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: Catapoman]
      #5781664 - 04/06/13 11:59 AM

Big b####r, I would have to bulk up on the morning wheaties for brecky to move that lot around, nice looking rig,DA.

Edited by Binojunky (04/06/13 12:01 PM)

Scott in NCModerator
Mad Hatter

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
      #5781755 - 04/06/13 12:28 PM

Very nice-looking scope, mdowns!

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5783276 - 04/07/13 08:22 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Great scope and mount. I have the Sky-watcher version.
I recently sold my Tak TSA-102, but kept the Achromat cos it showed more planetary detail.
Here are a few drawingsmade with the big Achro.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: Rutilus]
      #5783280 - 04/07/13 08:23 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Saturn.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5783407 - 04/07/13 09:34 AM

Those sketches Rutilus are very telling! Lots of detail present. I find your comment about the 6 showing more than your Tak102 intruiging. Years ago I contacted a dealer to discuss purchasing a C6R even though I had a Tv Genesis 101 to get more planetary detail. I was told the C6R would fall behind the Genesis. Looking at your sketches and those of many others who have claimed similar detail, I believe the dealer was mistaken.

BoriSpider
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/04

Loc: S.W.FLA
Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: t.r.]
      #5783470 - 04/07/13 10:17 AM

Rutilus, great sketches.
Are the Saturn ones from the same night?

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: At least one refractor please! new [Re: BoriSpider]
      #5783757 - 04/07/13 01:00 PM

The Saturn sketches were made on different nights, however both scope
were used side by side on the night that the sketches were made and the detail in the Achro was easier to see and more of it.
The sketch made with the Tak was the best view I ever had of the planet (I owened the Tak for six and a half years before selling).
If you can remember back to the big white storm on Saturn a few years ago now, well I tried and tried to see it with the Tak,
and I never did see it. The big Achro showed it well though. The Tak had superb optics, but when viewing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, the big Achro
even at f/8 with all that C.A. still delivered more detailed views.
I always use a Yellow filter on the Achro, as the detail comes out very well with that filter.
The problem with the Achro is the quality control, if you get a good-un then that's brilliant, but at the same
there seems to be plenty of not so good examples out there.

mdowns
Pooh-Bah

#5784263 - 04/07/13 04:34 PM

Outstanding sketches Rutilus.Looks like you were at my eyepiece last night.You made an interesting point about your comparisons between the tak and the achro. Fellow cnighter Mike Reily has said very nearly the same thing to me about a 4" tak he had and the 6" achro he now uses.Anyway I finally was able to spend some time at the eyepiece of my current scope and did it deliver! Saturn was totally splendid last night. Razor sharp at all powers and very detailed in the 250-330x range.Contrast levels for the banding was best in that range though I must say the rings and limb remained very well focused at mags as high as 480x.I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about good and not so good ones out there. I've had both and feel fortuneate that my current one landed firmly among the former!

Pages: 1

Extra information
38 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 879

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics