Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Unidentified130

Reged: 03/11/13

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Used Nexstar 8SE
      #5780947 - 04/06/13 12:16 AM

There's a $900 used nexstar 8SE on amazon. I asked the seller when it was purchased and I was told around 2007. I was also told that it has been only used once. Is it a good deal or no? I already turned it down but wanted to know you guys opinion. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5781244 - 04/06/13 07:58 AM

How much is the warranty worth to you? When you can get a new one for 1099 sometimes 999 I'd rather get the 2 years peace of mind.
If it were 800 that would be a different story. I'd still want to inspect it though.

Terrance
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/04

Loc: Near Portland Or.
Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5784885 - 04/07/13 10:02 PM

For a 8" SE that is 6 years old and naturally without a warranty, $900 is not a deal. I would want a 20% discount for no warranty alone and then subtract from there for age.

I believe the going rate a used C8 OTA in good condition is around $400 or a little less. Add for used Nexstar SE mount. Brand new the mount would be $600-700 (I have not checked recently,) and a 6 year old mount shouldn't be more than 1/2 its cost new. So, I would say my interest (if I were in the market) would wane at $700 or above.

Rod Mollise has a guide for used SCT's and mounts published on the web somewhere with better data than my memory, so you might Google that subject.

Unidentified130

Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Terrance]
      #5784911 - 04/07/13 10:14 PM

Currently talking to sonny.barile about selling his used nexstar 8SE and 3yrs old according to him. At the moment, it looks like we agree on a $750 price. Just figuring out the shipping cost which we will split once we got a quote.

LakeHavasu

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, U....
      #5789198 - 04/09/13 09:44 PM

$750 sounds good. I sold my 6SE OTA for $275 and brought a C-8 OTA for $325. Keeping the Nexstar mount with the C-8 brought the total price to about $700. Lucky this time.
Steve

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #5789354 - 04/09/13 11:25 PM

Speaking about shipping, check
my thread
Quote:

Currently talking to sonny.barile about selling his used nexstar 8SE and 3yrs old according to him. At the moment, it looks like we agree on a $750 price. Just figuring out the shipping cost which we will split once we got a quote.

Unidentified130

Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Daud]
      #5789374 - 04/09/13 11:39 PM

That's definitely concerning... just got a pm from sonny.barile, seems there's some household personal issue regarding the sale of the telescope. As of now, it might not go through with the sale. He did mentioned that he has the original packaging for shipment should the sale get a go ahead.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5790079 - 04/10/13 11:26 AM

Maybe the details of purchase negotiations ,including names, should be kept private?

Anyway $750 is a reasonable price if everything works ,considering there is no warranty.

Unidentified130

Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: BigC]
      #5790109 - 04/10/13 11:40 AM

I'm going by his forum name. I also wanted to know if someone had dealt with him and be aware of anything positive and negative about the forum member. I've never purchased a used telescope before so I wanted any info I can get so I know if I'm making the right decision with my money.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5790282 - 04/10/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

I'm going by his forum name. I also wanted to know if someone had dealt with him and be aware of anything positive and negative about the forum member. I've never purchased a used telescope before so I wanted any info I can get so I know if I'm making the right decision with my money.

Unbelievable ! Simply unbelievable !

Deal ?

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Tel]
      #5790397 - 04/10/13 01:52 PM

If there ever was a case where the 'M'inistry 'O'f 'D'efence" should step in.

Peter.

Unidentified130

Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Peter9]
      #5790468 - 04/10/13 02:30 PM

I apologize if I cross the line regarding this post. My experience with another website is that a forum reputation is very important when it comes to transactions. The intention that I had was to make an informed decision before I commit, nothing more.

hdt
sage

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: N35°10' W106°32'
      #5790605 - 04/10/13 03:58 PM

Unidentified,

Look at the number of stars under the username, or click on the username itself. This will tell you if that member has conducted transactions *AND* if the other transactee (is that a noun?) has left feedback on the transaction.

You'll see, for example, that I have a 5-star rating. This is because I have successfully purchased (and sold, I think) items in the Classifieds section or in the Shop&Swap section, and the other person was satisfied with my performance.

Reputationwise? I would like to think that my posts are helpful, but probably only to 1.5 sigma helpfulness. Others (Mr. Chair Bob, for example) are quite probably above 2 sigma helpfulness. (No offense to the other very helpful folk; I'm just singling Chair Bob out because his advice for a chair was probably the single best advice I received here). The number of stars under the name has nothing to do with the helpfulness of the member in question.

Buying/selling is your own decision. We can't help you (nor do we want to)...

My opinion, though: I would support our sponsors (such as Astronomics), although I do understand that a scope is an expensive sort of thing, and a (lightly) used item is a lot easier on the wallet.

What I've bought from our sponsors: Eyepieces, finders, T-ring stuff, antivibration pads, and other misc. stuff (I bought my scope from a local store, since closed, unfortunately). What I've bought from fellow CN'ers: Eyepieces, a wedge (turns out I need to do some work on it; it fits the tripod, but not quite the mount base), and a lightly used DSLR. You have to make the decision yourself whether or not to purchase used.

Hope this helps.

Unidentified130

Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: hdt]
      #5790638 - 04/10/13 04:13 PM

I don't expect you guys to tell me what and what not to buy. I'm gathering as much feedbacks, opinions and such from other members so I can have an informed decision should I go through with the purchase or not. I take everything I have read into consideration without setting anything in stone.

sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
      #5791547 - 04/10/13 11:13 PM

Im speechless

Unidentified130

Re: Used Nexstar 8SE new [Re: sonny.barile]
      #5791578 - 04/10/13 11:39 PM

I take it that the sale is off the table. I apologize for my mistake. I still consider cloudynights one of the best source of information regarding telescopes. I do hope this will not deter you guys from answering any of my questions. Again, I do apologize. I didn't meant to offend anyone and waste you guys time.

Edited by Unidentified130 (04/10/13 11:43 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 961

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics