Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jeff Phinney

Reged: 02/20/13

Loc: CA
Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: Nightfly]
      #5777793 - 04/04/13 01:53 PM

Jim, Regarding your list of films above: Before I go placing my order with Amazon for 35mm Fujicolor 100 and 200, do you have any idea if there's any difference between what you've listed above and what I'm finding listed on Amazon. Specifically the "Fujifilm Quality Fujicolor CN 100" ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7RZ24Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&... )and "Fujifilm Super HQ 200"( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TWLY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&... ). I assume "CN" simply means Color Negative, but what's the deal with "Super HQ". Are they all the same and the differing names are just a a bit of pointless puffery that Fuji maybe engaging in?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/20/07

Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: Jeff Phinney]
      #5779017 - 04/05/13 06:34 AM

Hi Jeff. Fujicolor 100 CN is the same formula as the old Superia 100 CN, which was the best color negative film for astrophotography in my opinion. CN is a designator for the film. The more recent Reala Superia 100 is designated CS and is a poor film for astrophotography.

The designator is similar to Kodak's GA, GB, GC for Gold 100, 200, & 400.

I believe the Super HQ 200 is the same as Superia 200.

Superia 100 in medium format is nothing less than spectacular.

Le Gentil 3 Region by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr

A quick test of Superia 200

Film Test: Fujicolor Superia 200 by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr

Jeff Phinney

#5779539 - 04/05/13 12:35 PM

Jim, Thanks for the reply. I've gone ahead and placed the order for the film. We'll see how it all goes once the film gets here, and if/when I get my camera back from the repair shop.

Your mention of "formats" has shaken loose a few misplaced nuts that have been nesting in parts unknown within my skull. Mainly that a format can have an effect on the performance of some films. I remember it was quite the shock to find out that Tech Pan on glass plates was a totally worthless combination when it was found that the emulsion had no response to the hypering process(vacuum followed by H2 soak). The assumption was that it had to do with the gaseous permeability(or lack of) of the glass vs. the usual ESTHAR or acetate base.

So I'm going to assume that there will be no difference in performance between the medium and the 35mm Fuji formats. The film is cheap enough and the only thing I really have to loose is the time doing the tests.
Just one more opportunity to live and learn.

Thanks again!

Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

#5779618 - 04/05/13 01:12 PM

One thing that differentiates 35mm and medium formats is the scanning results with consumer scanners. A dedicated film scanner for 35mm will do wonders over what I can accomplish with my flatbed. Your 35mm performance (I will assume you will scan your negs) will be determined by the quality of the scans over format differences.

Certainly the film size will create improvements in color and tonality as well as star image quality.

I have shot Fujicolor 100 CN in 35mm and can attest that it is the same film as the Superia 100 CN in 120 format. You might want to scoop some up as I believe it is either discontinued or soon will be.

Good luck and be sure to post when you get your results !

Jeff Phinney

#5779707 - 04/05/13 02:07 PM

I have a Nikon Coolscan 9000 I use at work for archiving photos, which I'm hoping will be sufficient for my purposes. If not, I have a camera shop here that claims to have "something better",... whatever that means

Also, Thanks for the tip! Guess I'll go ahead and order some more Fujicolor 100 CN.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
      #5780987 - 04/06/13 12:57 AM

A drum scanner would be "Something better than the Nikon 9000".
I've been watching ebay for a used one, unless someone wants to give me 10k

Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! [Re: TxStars]
      #5781175 - 04/06/13 06:10 AM

You should expect great results with the Nikon. Scanning astrophotos is different than daylight frames and takes some practice, but I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Looking forward to your results.

Doppler

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: NE Georgia, USA
      #5833954 - 05/01/13 09:46 AM

As per Jim's initial post, I am "new blood" looking forward to getting into film AP. I am currently gathering tools (camera, lenses, developing supplies, etc.), and I am "obsessively" studying your all's galeries, and posts to this forum - Great Stuff!! I just shot some terrestrial photos with my first roll of film (in 20 years) to check out my newly acquired Nikkormat FTn w/ 50mm f1.8 and Sigma 28mm f2.8 mini-wide. I also picked up, for a steal of a deal, a mint Bronica SQ with a 150mm f3.5 lens (I also got the 80mm f2.8 but it doesn't do time exposures - go figure!). It's not a Pentax but I'm hoping it might work for astro. Anyway, know that there is at least one new guy lurking, and who will be posting questions, and my first image, soon. Thanks to all of you for the wealth of information!

Greg
Winterville, GA USA

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: Doppler]
      #5834917 - 05/01/13 06:00 PM

Greg - welcome and glad to have another film shooter. Go ahead and shoot that roll, ask questions, and most of all enjoy it. Experimentation is where I get a kick. Nice kit you've picked up there. It should do just fine.

igor

vandkc

Reged: 04/29/13

Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5835486 - 05/02/13 12:23 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

This was one that I took last year. Nothing too spectacular, just a 50mm piggybacked shot of Sagittarius. Kodak Gold 400 for about 5 minutes. I am thinking about f/2.8 or f/4. I was not in a very good spot and my scope alignment was a little off, but it is not the worst I have shot. I hope to do some medium format piggybacking this year when I get back out there.

Edited by vandkc (05/02/13 12:24 AM)

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: vandkc]
      #5836402 - 05/02/13 02:08 PM

This is a really nice shot. Framed by the trees to let the Milky Way and Orion take centre stage. I'm thinking it was probably f/2.8 as there is a lot of detail for 5 minutes. Shooting a 50 lens makes it very forgiving for trailing.

I personally like shots like this - different perspective. Kodak Gold 400 really came through here. Fix the tracking and add a few more minutes and WOW.

Great start. Any idea what camera system you will use for MF? Lots of help here.

vandkc

#5836827 - 05/02/13 05:43 PM

Thanks for the compliment. As far as a "system" it is just an old Yashica A TLR that I have had for quite a while. I have gotten some decent B/W shots with it of landscapes and cityscapes in the past, but I have never really used it too much for astrophotography. I recently got into scanning some of my old negs and I was having some success with that so I thought now would be a good time to try the Yashica with some piggybacked shots. I will be limited to the stock lens (80mm) as there is no way to add a telephoto on this camera, but with the larger film size, I would hope to get some nicer detail than I would with the 35mm shots I have taken so far. This forum has been a great source of information and I hope to be able to post some results in the not too distant future.

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: vandkc]
      #5837469 - 05/02/13 11:38 PM

So the Yashica will be 6x6? The 80 should be a very nice size - probably a bit wider than you 50 in 35mm. Is the lens a Yashinon? I believe they made two types of lenses with one being the better over the other. Is it f/2.8? You might need to stop down one or two for vignette reasons and sharpness. But try it wide open to see what happens.

I like the Yashica and almost got one for a companion camera. Just something about them. Looking forward to those shots.

igor

Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
      #5838810 - 05/03/13 05:38 PM

Vandkc, welcome aboard! I must agree with Igor, very nice frame, indeed! If you have more, post it.

vandkc

Re: 2013 Season - Who is Shooting Film This Year ! new [Re: Michal1]
      #5838860 - 05/03/13 06:24 PM

Thank you Michal. I will see what I have in my archives, but I have not shot too much recently. Certainly nothing of the quality that you have produced!

The lens on the Yashica is a Yashimar, which is not the higher end of the Yashica lenses. The A was the most basic TLR that Yashica produced, but still a nice little camera. The lens is actually a 3.5, so stopping it down will require some longer exposures to get good images of star coulds and nebulae, should they be in the field of view. I will most likley do a lot of experimaenting when I get the chance. I will post results as soon as I have somethng worth posting!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2149

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics