Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new
      #5779112 - 04/05/13 08:29 AM Attachment (56 downloads)

A long awaited good clear night (and very good seeing).

With Saturn still not quite high enough I decided to check out M65 after seeing a note re. a recent supernova. No definite sighting of the s'nova (fainter than mag. 14 by then I understand) but was charmed by the detail in this galaxy; hence the drawing. The s'nova would have been, I believe, on the light patch/arm(?) to the left of the mag. 12 star on the s'west edge and did suspect a lightness within the 'arm' but very uncertain.

Thought to tackle M66 but Saturn was beckoning...!

Edited by David Gray (04/05/13 08:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: David Gray]
      #5779119 - 04/05/13 08:36 AM

David,
That is a wonderful sketch. Great detail the galaxy has a figure 8 shape to it. Thank You for sharing.

Ken

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5779174 - 04/05/13 09:06 AM

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5779216 - 04/05/13 09:28 AM

David.

You are very talented. I really like your sketches.

Andre.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5779333 - 04/05/13 10:36 AM

David,

Very good sketch of M-65 .

CS,KLU,

Tom

mdowns
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/12/10

Loc: Englewood,FL
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5779423 - 04/05/13 11:23 AM

Splenid sketch speaking to the skills and talents of the observer as well as the quality of his equipment.Love it!

AlexxxAA

Reged: 01/06/12

Loc: Downey, CA
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: mdowns]
      #5779508 - 04/05/13 12:17 PM

Amazing sketch David!
Really makes me want to take out my 12" give some galaxies a try, even if my skies are horribly polluted.
Even if i only see grey blobs, it should be a nice challenge.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: AlexxxAA]
      #5779808 - 04/05/13 02:52 PM

David,

Wonderful detail in M65. Difficult enough to pull it in very tough to capture it so well.
Great sketch.

Frank

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: frank5817]
      #5779830 - 04/05/13 03:03 PM

Superb sketch, David! You clearly saw more detail than I but on the other hand you used a much higher mag, didn't you? Or it'll be my eyes that are getting on a bit. In any case, I'm seriously impressed by your work.

Ciaooo!

Peter

David Gray
sage

Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) [Re: David Gray]
      #5781219 - 04/06/13 07:33 AM

My grateful appreciation to you all for your complimentary words on this and my Saturn April 4 posts.

I suppose my M65 rendering has its roots in a dummy run the night before 2012 DA 14 passed by. During this rehearsal I chanced upon M106 – never seen before by me. As with M65 was charmed by (at least incipiently) viewing some spiral structure and the oblique squat ‘S’ shape of the brighter inner barred region; and resolved to revisit on a good night for a sketch. Apart the M65 supernova diversion on the April 4 I had been minded to then. Oh yes: clouded out on the asteroid close-approach night – but at least the dummy run not entirely wasted! All-night twilight comes to us (54.7deg N.) in early May (till early Aug.) so need to get M106 soon!

David.

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5783706 - 04/07/13 12:33 PM

Very fine sketch David. Do you sketch using white paper and then invert the sketch to black once it is scanned in?

Best,

Eric

David Gray
sage

Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: ericj]
      #5783838 - 04/07/13 01:49 PM

Thanks Eric (and on the Saturn Apr 4 thread!),

Yes this is an HB 'pencil' drawing (stump-painted) and tonally inverted in Corel.

Actually I prefer white on black cartridge but as I was only half prepared (with Saturn in mind) I just grabbed a Daler white (110 gsm) cartridge pad at hand.

The graphite on white is fine but I feel I may have underdone M65's diffuse outer shading a little as it is virtually lost on the 'scan'; also with (?) lo-res for CN: not wanting to mess with it too much just accepted it - a lesson for future efforts!

Just seen the old Saturn ED thread you mentioned in your last e-mail - I see what you mean........!!

Thanks again,

Best, David.

yashi

Reged: 11/15/11

#5787407 - 04/09/13 05:37 AM

Do you finish the whole picture at night during your observation? Or do you mark the key aspects and then finish the piece with a reference photo?

I just cant draw at night with bad light and sub zero temperatures :/. The other technique works well for me tho. But it feels like "cheating".

David Gray
sage

Re: M65 (Whilst waiting for Saturn) new [Re: yashi]
      #5787509 - 04/09/13 07:34 AM

Yes I aim to get it done on site all things being equal. Some circumstances I might have to resort to supplementary partial sketches and more elaborate notes. Then indoors as soon as possible. With respect I also would regard looking at photos as cheating especially if someone elses: I enjoy the challenge of getting what the eyepiece presents in the age-old tradition!

More details of my approach can be found on the 2nd page of my Saturn April 4 thread in my answer to Ivano (idp).

I find I can draw (and write) quite comfortably with the right sort of gloves: often in the UK(!); dont like fingerless types! I'm not much on fabrics but what I wear are of some sort of 'knitted' stretchable acrylic type thin wool (no labels - consulted my wife!). Perhaps you might try some out in a store with pen/pencil? I keep some dark shades/sunglasses handy when doing such as DSO so I can pop indoors as the chilling demands and not letting myself too hungry: something in the microwave is good. Maybe a spare pair of socks kept in a warm place as cold feet is often the problem so some regard to the right shoes: I wear hiking/walking shoes/boots -rubber soled.

Actually I find frequent walking away from the scope quite de-stressing/grounding rather than grit my teeth and glue to the eyepiece and possibly end up staring and bringing on eye-fatigue (very seldom suffer this). Of course if clouds threaten we can't be so laid-back!

Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
      #5789414 - 04/10/13 12:17 AM

That is a great skecth too, I never saw M65 with such an amount of detail.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 677

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics