Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new
      #5779642 - 04/05/13 01:35 PM

I'm planning on building a mini-observatory storage shed for my CGEM and EdgeHD 8" but the doors will not be tall enough for the scope and mount parked in the normal "HOME" position. Is there a way to park the scope in other positions beside the normal Home position and still retain the goto alignment?

Thanks,

Patrick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5779666 - 04/05/13 01:50 PM

Yes. There's a set home position option in the home menu. Move the scope to where you want to home it and set it.

Once you have homed the scope there's a hibernate option.

Chris

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5779764 - 04/05/13 02:34 PM

Thank you kindly!

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5780331 - 04/05/13 06:48 PM

Patrick,

And if you mark the new home position you'll find that when you need to do a completely new initial alignment the mount will start off closer to those initial alignment stars. The mount actually has no idea where the factory installed index marks (arrows) are.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5780489 - 04/05/13 08:47 PM

I take it that would work for doing a 180 on the dec axis to put the dovetail clamps on the other side?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5780529 - 04/05/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

I take it that would work for doing a 180 on the dec axis to put the dovetail clamps on the other side?

Absolutely correct. I've done it. I've also rotated it 90° with my side-by-side setup and started it up with the OTAs pointed toward the NCP. No problem at all. Just to say I've done it, I've also used the s-b-s using the orientation setup in the controller and started with the OTAs pointed east. Works just fine, also. There are no switches that tell the mount which way it's pointed as there are with the CGE so the startup software thinks you're doing things the way you're supposed to. It doesn't care as long as you know what you're doing.

Patrick
Postmaster

Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5781015 - 04/06/13 01:37 AM

Quote:

Yes. There's a set home position option in the home menu. Move the scope to where you want to home it and set it.

Once you have homed the scope there's a hibernate option.

I apologize for being lazy. I spent a few minutes tonight playing with the hand controller and moved the mount to a new position and set it as the Home position. I also discovered that the Hibernate function allows the scope to be in any position you desire, without it being in the Home position. So I really don't need to change the Home position which is fine with me because I like the Home position where it's at.

Thanks fellas!

Patrick

Megabusa
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/28/12

Loc: Page ,AZ
Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5781090 - 04/06/13 03:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely correct. I've done it. I've also rotated it 90° with my side-by-side setup and started it up with the OTAs pointed toward the NCP. No problem at all. Just to say I've done it, I've also used the s-b-s using the orientation setup in the controller and started with the OTAs pointed east. Works just fine, also. There are no switches that tell the mount which way it's pointed as there are with the CGE so the startup software thinks you're doing things the way you're supposed to. It doesn't care as long as you know what you're doing.

WOW! I did not know that, When I got my CGEM I messed up and put it to gather backwards, So it will still track like that ?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Can CGEM 'Home' Position Be Changed? [Re: Megabusa]
      #5781332 - 04/06/13 09:13 AM

Quote:

WOW! I did not know that, When I got my CGEM I messed up and put it to gather backwards, So it will still track like that?

It will align and then track perfectly fine. If the hand controller thinks the OTA(s) is(are) pointed toward the NCP (or SCP if you're south of the equator) and you begin the alignment process satisfying this condition, then all will be well. If, by accident, you've set the scope up backwards (ie saddle locks on the wrong side of the mount), just rotate the DEC until the OTA is pointed toward the pole and the alignment will go just fine - the marks on the mount don't matter AT ALL. The firmware has absolutely no idea where the DEC is actually pointed, it just needs the OTAs to be pointing the correct direction (toward celestial pole) before you start the alignment process. The CGE has homing switches, so this technique will NOT work on it since the mount positively knows which direction the DEC saddle is aimed. That's why the "OTA Orientation" option is a necessary evil on the CGE and CGE Pro but NOT required on the CGEM, CGEM DX, CG5 nor AVX mounts.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 391

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics