Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)
hiro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/17/07

Loc: Tokyo
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Tonk]
      #5779011 - 04/05/13 06:14 AM

Tonk, I'm obsessed, too.
I worked daily as usual and slept 45 minutes in 36 hours around April 4, 2013.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: hiro]
      #5780375 - 04/05/13 07:21 PM

I've just had an eventful night - accidently ran the car off the edge of road into a shallow bog on a high desolate moor top . Car well stuck. Walked 1 mile down the moor road and very luckily found another astronomer setting up and waiting for the skies to clear. We managed to pull my car back onto the road using a strap as a tow rope - hardest part was undoing the strap afterwards as neither of us have a knife. We got it off using my house key as a saw!

Still after all that I got some imaging in . The comet is drawing away from M31 but still fits fine in a 170mm lens.

Only problem now is the car - my wife isn't going to be pleased as its hers and its covered - roof included - with smelly black mud from the wheel spins

Tonk
Postmaster

#5780376 - 04/05/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

worked daily as usual and slept 45 minutes in 36 hours around April 4, 2013.

Hiro - you are madder than me!

krp
Vendor. DarkSiteFinder.com

Reged: 11/10/10

Loc: Central Illinois
      #5780513 - 04/05/13 08:58 PM

This may be the last picture I post of the comet since it is cloudy for the next week with the brightness fading fast.

Galaxy Chasing a Comet by kevin-palmer, on Flickr

The technical details are on Flickr. It appeared that the comet was racing down to the horizon and as it passed Andromeda, it said "Eat my dust tail!"

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
      #5781089 - 04/06/13 03:13 AM

Quote:

I've just had an eventful night - accidently ran the car off the edge of road into a shallow bog on a high desolate moor top . Car well stuck. Walked 1 mile down the moor road and very luckily found another astronomer setting up and waiting for the skies to clear. We managed to pull my car back onto the road using a strap as a tow rope - hardest part was undoing the strap afterwards as neither of us have a knife. We got it off using my house key as a saw!

Still after all that I got some imaging in . The comet is drawing away from M31 but still fits fine in a 170mm lens.

Only problem now is the car - my wife isn't going to be pleased as its hers and its covered - roof included - with smelly black mud from the wheel spins

Yep! You are right Tonk, it becomes an obsession. In an earlier post I also wrote it becomes an obsession... On Thursday evening I tried for the comet from what I thought it was a good place - but my view was blocked by a small hill (here on Cyprus it is much lower on the sky than in the UK). So I continued on a dirt road I never went through before. At some point I found myself on a steep climb on a road that looked like a stream bed, full of rocks and holes, with a rock wall on one side and a cliff on the other, with a width barely enough to fit my car (CR-V). Thank god the 4WD of the car worked and I could barely clear the rocks. But on top of the hill the view was great and saw the comet pairing with M31 in the deep twilight...

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #5781257 - 04/06/13 08:22 AM

Really enjoying these PanSTARRS anecdotes and observations!

In their spirit, I decided to stay up all night, imaging galaxies at first and then viewing and imaging PanSTARRS later in the morning. Although the comet is virtually circumpolar, I live in a small valley, and my imaging location is obstructed by houses.

I estimated I'd be able to see PanSTARRS shortly before 5am. This was about right, but I had underestimated a different problem: almost as soon as PanSTARRS cleared my garden fence, I started to get flare in the images from the *one* street light that affects my observing site!

I then spent until morning twilight trying to minimise the flare, but in the end the best images were from just after PanSTARRS had cleared the fence and before the flare kicked in (a period of only a few minutes).

Despite the imaging problems, it was wonderful to observe PanSTARRS under a dark sky. It was beautiful in 7 x 50 binoculars, and was still quite easily visible to the naked eye, despite its low altitude.

Regards,

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Mike C]
      #5781562 - 04/06/13 11:08 AM

I returned not long ago from one of the best local dark sites, if a location requiring a 75-mile drive can be called local.

Last night two fellow CAS members and I saw Comet PanSTARRS and M31 in the same field of view through three sets of 70mm binoculars. Spotting the comet was not all that easy at first, since it wasn't visible until it was fairly close to setting. As the sky got darker, the comet's broad tail became more apparent. Comet PanSTARRS was not visible to the naked-eye at our latitude.

Two of us watched the comet until it dove into the trees in the northwest.

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5781594 - 04/06/13 11:25 AM

There's another fantastic image of M31 and the comet posted at ttp://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=80426

Dave Mitsky

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5782144 - 04/06/13 04:27 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Further to my earlier post, I've started to look at the images and it seems most suffer from the streetlight flare to some extent, while the first have some vignetting at the bottom as the comet had not fully cleared the garden fence!

In retrospect, I realise that I became so preoccupied with the flare problem that I didn't stop to study the comet through the scope properly (though I viewed it extensively with binoculars). The weather forecast is not favourable for another chance!

Anyway, below is what I have so far. This was a single 4-minute unguided exposure at ISO 1600 with a C8 (f/6.3 with focal reducer) and a modded EOS 600D. I used DeepSkyStacker to stack the light frame, darks and flats, and used Canon Photo Professional and Paint Shop Pro for post processing.

Regards and clears skies!

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Mike C]
      #5782950 - 04/07/13 12:31 AM

There's an article on and a photograph of the pairing of the comet and M31 at http://media.skyandtelescope.com/images/PanSTARRS-by-Sean-4-4_full.jpg

Dave Mitsky

Tonk
Postmaster

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5783155 - 04/07/13 06:10 AM

Yes Sean has been posting his images here on CN (DSLR forum)

Well its all over in the UL now for a few days as weather has turned. Last night was "clear" but transparency was the pits - could not see comet in binns though camera did pick it out - barely. Only the brightest stars seen visually - it was bad!.

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

#5791002 - 04/10/13 06:24 PM

I was able to see PanSTARRS this morning quite easily using 7x50 binoculars. This is the first time I've seen the comet against relatively dark skies, the arrangement in the morning (April 10, before 5AM PDT) being much more favorable than after sunset from my latitude (approximately 33N).

My skies are light polluted and the comet is still fairly low even in the morning so it was far from being a spectacular view. There is a definite tail or extended coma so it's not just a featureless spot. M31 (the Andromeda Galaxy) was also visible but was much lower in the sky. The core of M31 was brighter than PanSTARRS, but I don't think there was a huge difference in the ease of their respective visibility.

I have no adventurous or tragic tale to tell, other than that it was way too early for me to be up at that time of the day.

hiro
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: james7ca]
      #5791740 - 04/11/13 02:57 AM

Hi,

I took the comet before twilight on April 8, 2013JST or April 7, 2013UTC.
The comet moved rapidly during the imaging session.

Data and the original are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/8639820294/

Thank you for looking.

Mike B.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/24/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: hiro]
      #5794328 - 04/12/13 12:15 PM

Comet Panstarrs. 20x15 sec @ 1600, 8x15 sec @ 3200. Canon T3 mod, Canon 200mm F/2.8.

On Friday morning, April 12, 2013, I drove about 15 minutes from home and setup my equipment on some rural property I own to observe and shoot Comet Pan-STARRS.

I used some Pentax 10x50's to take a good look at the comet. It was dim and hard to see through the muck, but I could make out a short tail and the head of the comet in between two brighter stars. It was about 10 degrees above the horizon at that point.

By the time twilight started, it was about 15 degrees high, so it wasn't the best conditions. The low altitude, a little fog and less than average transparency hindered the view. But, it was the first time I've been able to see the comet since late March.

I had an old CG3 mount with a clock drive that I mounted a camera on with a 200mm f/2.8 lens attached to take some images. I had trouble getting it to track at first, so I didn't get very many sub-images before twilight took hold. I ended up with 7 minutes worth of subs (about 28) and the image above is the result of combining them all together.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Mike B.]
      #5795171 - 04/12/13 06:20 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Some nice pics. Here's my shot from last night Apr 11 - first in 10 days - data on image. Failed to pick it up in binos in the London murk - it's now circumpolar [visible all night] in UK skies

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: nytecam]
      #5796088 - 04/13/13 07:39 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

I've still haven't been able to observe Panstarrs but I finally took an image of Panstarrs with the Slooh Remote Observatory this morning. Most impressive looking.

Rich (RLTYS)

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5801969 - 04/16/13 03:55 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Got Panstarrs tonight [below] Apr 15 at dusk from backyard [earlier than on Apr 11] and its seems to have faded over the last 4 days

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Mike C]
      #5802176 - 04/16/13 09:19 AM

Quote:

Further to my earlier post, I've started to look at the images and it seems most suffer from the streetlight flare to some extent, while the first have some vignetting at the bottom as the comet had not fully cleared the garden fence!

In retrospect, I realise that I became so preoccupied with the flare problem that I didn't stop to study the comet through the scope properly (though I viewed it extensively with binoculars). The weather forecast is not favourable for another chance!

Anyway, below is what I have so far. This was a single 4-minute unguided exposure at ISO 1600 with a C8 (f/6.3 with focal reducer) and a modded EOS 600D. I used DeepSkyStacker to stack the light frame, darks and flats, and used Canon Photo Professional and Paint Shop Pro for post processing.
Nice shot of the Anti-Tail, yours is the best shot I have seen of it.. Nicely done!

Regards and clears skies!

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) new [Re: orion61]
      #5802920 - 04/16/13 03:17 PM

Quote:

Nice shot of the Anti-Tail, yours is the best shot I have seen of it.. Nicely done!

Many thanks, Larry!

hiro
Pooh-Bah

Re: Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) [Re: Mike C]
      #5805989 - 04/18/13 01:19 AM

Hi all,

Here is a frame of the comet taken on April 13, 2013UTC.

The original is in my flickr page as usual.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/8658955049/

Dust and gas in the area are visible here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiroc/6202846967/

Thank you for looking.

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 42254

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics